[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roddy White fails to come through on bet

Shorttynaz

Looks bad but what is the other guys stake in the wager to make it a bet? You could become a rich man finding long shots to bet on in you don't have to risk anything.

No doubt but that was Roddy's place to declare or make those terms definitive. The kid made his end of the bet, Roddy offered tickets, lost and should pay up. Crystal clear.

• Like 1

Sure, as the presumably, more wealthy person, it's almost on him to take the parental roll and responsibility of a contract. Like I said, it looks bad and he likely doesn't have 50 yard line seats to offer. So he should have paid (cash if allowed by NFL) to him to avoid being the "welcher" for the rest of his career to some.

Looks bad but what is the other guys stake in the wager to make it a bet? You could become a rich man finding long shots to bet on in you don't have to risk anything.

That's irrelevant. The guy took the action without a payoff for himself, that's his problem. He needs to make good.

• Like 1

So he should have paid (cash if allowed by NFL) to him to avoid being the "welcher" for the rest of his career to some.

Some? Who the hell doesn't think he is a welcher? I could care less about his Bears ticket offer. You don't pay up on the bet, especially in a very public social media setting, you are a welcher. Period.

• Like 2

Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw conspired to ride away on a Deputy Sheriff's horse. I will forever refer to them as horse thieves.

If I speak of Roddy White I will not be calling him a "welcher". So that's my point.

Edited by satelliteoflovegm

Though I'm always the first to say that Roddy needs to just keep his mouth shut, people are really making something out of nothing here.

First, let's be honest, when people make bets like this, they are speaking only semi-seriously. It's like a way of saying "no way is that going to happen". It was not even a bet that the guy agreed to... That doesn't mean it isn't right for Roddy to eat crow and make good on what he said, but tickets to a game is more than sufficient. He shouldn't have to fork over season tickets for a bet that wasn't even really a real bet.

Have any of you actually looked at the guys twitter to find out if he's not satisfied with the compromise they came to? Maybe you should before calling roddy's character into question:

I don't expect anything from @roddywhiteTV because it wasn't even a legit bet. I do not want to be a distraction to The Falcons organization

Really I call into question the character of those who would force someone to make good on a silly statement that didn't even constitute a real bet. Let me make it clear, if I say "I bet you a million dollars" or "I'd give my left nut", it means I expect it's not gonna happen. I don't mean it literally.

Much ado about nothing, and par for the course with the way ESPN is reducing sports journalism to celebrity gossip.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Though I'm always the first to say that Roddy needs to just keep his mouth shut, people are really making something out of nothing here.

First, let's be honest, when people make bets like this, they are speaking only semi-seriously. It's like a way of saying "no way is that going to happen". It was not even a bet that the guy agreed to... That doesn't mean it isn't right for Roddy to eat crow and make good on what he said, but tickets to a game is more than sufficient. He shouldn't have to fork over season tickets for a bet that wasn't even really a real bet.

Have any of you actually looked at the guys twitter to find out if he's not satisfied with the compromise they came to? Maybe you should before calling roddy's character into question:

I don't expect anything from @roddywhiteTV because it wasn't even a legit bet. I do not want to be a distraction to The Falcons organization

Really I call into question the character of those who would force someone to make good on a silly statement that didn't even constitute a real bet. Let me make it clear, if I say "I bet you a million dollars" or "I'd give my left nut", it means I expect it's not gonna happen. I don't mean it literally.

Much ado about nothing, and par for the course with the way ESPN is reducing sports journalism to celebrity gossip.

Kind of like when Kyle told Cartman he'd lick his balls :)

• Like 1

That's irrelevant. If you bet your left nut, then you need to make good. Just freeze it and ziplock bag it with dry ice and overnight in a cooler. Or deliver it in person in an ice cream truck.

:smell...smell:

Doust thou smell a Falcon's homer...

That's irrelevant. If you bet your left nut, then you need to make good. Just freeze it and ziplock bag it with dry ice and overnight in a cooler. Or deliver it in person in an ice cream truck.

Fair enough, you make good on a night in the sack with Kate Upton, and I will overnight the nut to you.

So when you tell your kid you'll buy him a bike if he gets straight A's, (which will never happen, right?), it's ok for you to instead by him a new horn when he does it? Honk honk.

"Look son, it's only a bet if you had offered something up of equal value for failing. So here's the deal - if you get straight A's next report card, I buy you a bike, and if you don't, you give me your Xbox".

So when you tell your kid you'll buy him a bike if he gets straight A's, (which will never happen, right?), it's ok for you to instead by him a new horn when he does it? Honk honk.

"Look son, it's only a bet if you had offered something up of equal value for failing. So here's the deal - if you get straight A's next report card, I buy you a bike, and if you don't, you give me your Xbox".

That context isn't even remotely simlar. A parent offering motivation for reaching goals is pretty different than Roddy effectively saying "You're crazy if you think Mercer is beating Duke".

Plus it looks like Roddy got confused and thought the guy was a Bears fan, so I can see why he'd think that offering him tickets to the Bears game was more appropriate than giving away tickets to someone that probably wouldn't appreciate them, and might just throw them right up on stubhub.

The guy did later clarify he's a Falcons fan (and Mercer Bears fan), but he also said that he realizes that it wasn't a real bet, and probably saw how much people are blowing it out of proportion. If he's not upset or asking for more than the tickets he got, I don't understand why everyone else thinks it's their business to assault Roddy on twitter and make national news about it.

Bengals WR Chad Johnson has settled in the class action suit against him regarding a bogus raffle.

To get you up to speed, Ocho Cinco and the Funny Bone Comedy Club were sued because there was a raffle held at the club in which Chad Johnson was giving away a Lexus. Well, the Lexus was instead given to Chad's girlfriend as the raffle ticket buyers stood by and watched.

Come to find out that there were other prizes that Chad agreed to raffle off (trips, tickets) that winners were stiffed on, too. Hence the class action suit.

Well, Chad and the club have agreed to pay $100,000 to the 30 people involved in the suit. The case was set to go to trial next Monday.

So, what does this mean? Well, that payment equals out to $3,333 per person ... and that is before legal fees and all that kind of stuff comes out. At best, the patrons will receive much more than their money back, justice was served (I guess) and we can freeze frame out into the credits.

That context isn't even remotely simlar. A parent offering motivation for reaching goals is pretty different than Roddy effectively saying "You're crazy if you think Mercer is beating Duke".

Plus it looks like Roddy got confused and thought the guy was a Bears fan, so I can see why he'd think that offering him tickets to the Bears game was more appropriate than giving away tickets to someone that probably wouldn't appreciate them, and might just throw them right up on stubhub.

The guy did later clarify he's a Falcons fan (and Mercer Bears fan), but he also said that he realizes that it wasn't a real bet, and probably saw how much people are blowing it out of proportion. If he's not upset or asking for more than the tickets he got, I don't understand why everyone else thinks it's their business to assault Roddy on twitter and make national news about it.

Are you really saying that everyone who expects Roddy to pay up are the problem? Seriously? That is the dumbest thing I've read in here this year. If I make a bet of any kind with anybody then I fully expect to pay up. Roddy has the resources to come close and at least get this guy tickets. He's stupid for making the bet, but he's certainly capable of following through. The cost is not he issue in any way. Doesn't matter if he meant it or not. He needs to follow through.

• Like 2

Are you really saying that everyone who expects Roddy to pay up are the problem? Seriously? That is the dumbest thing I've read in here this year. If I make a bet of any kind with anybody then I fully expect to pay up. Roddy has the resources to come close and at least get this guy tickets. He's stupid for making the bet, but he's certainly capable of following through. The cost is not he issue in any way. Doesn't matter if he meant it or not. He needs to follow through.

Yep , end of story

Well, let's see. Roddy ran his mouth on twitter like he always does. Loses the "bet" that he didn't even really think he was making. He thinks the guy is a Bears fan, so offers him tickets to the Bears game instead of giving someone he thinks isn't a Falcons fan thousands of dollars worth of tickets. What an a-hole to only offer the tickets he thought he'd actaully appreciate!

At this point the guy could have made a stink that he actually was a Falcons fan and wanted the season tickets, but after seeing the way everyone was making a big deal out of nothnig, he didn't want anything but the distraction to go away, also acknowledging it wasn't a real bet, so whatever he got was fair (and he's getting Bears tickets on the 50 yard line for telling Roddy that Mercer was gonna win, boo-freaking-hoo).

So yes, I think that those who have nothing to do with how they settled that "bet" are most definitely the problem in making a big deal out of nothnig. You really think this anyone else's business to not only judge, but to make demands? Umm okay...

Roddy White is dumb, first for making the bet (or promising somebody anything for Mercer winning) second for creating a PR disaster by not honoring his word. Whether the person he bet with is satisfied or not won't affect most people's views. The guy probably wants it over because it is an unwanted distraction.

Another example of social media biting somebody in the ass for saying/doing something dumb.

Maybe this will teach some people a lesson (not likely but we could hope).

Didn't Aaron Rodgers make a similar bet a few years ago, claiming that Ryan Braun was innocent - and offered up a years salary if he was wrong? If I remember correctly, he did the same thing..

EDIT: Found it. :)

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/fan-who-won-twitter-bet-with-aaron-rodgers-id-take-a-game-check/

Edited by Shorttynaz