[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jared Allen A Bear!

Wizards

Almost fell off the chair this AM when I heard. Great signing! Go Bears!!

+1

When they announced the restructuring of Cutler's contract to free up some cap room, I was thinking the Bears were trying to sign somebody who was a big deal.

Edited by Wolverines Fan
  • Like 1

This is a great move by the Bears. At this point in time of their careers Allen is more of an impact player than Peppers is.

The Bears have made some good moves this offseason to shore up that abysmal defense. They've upgraded the defensive line by a large margin. I know the safeties they signed aren't exactly all-pro's, but they are still a significant upgrade from last season. Emery has all ready said he plans on going defense early and often in the draft. Throw in a full season of a healthy Briggs and Tillman and this defense should at least be middle of the road.

With the Bears potent offense this should make for a very interesting and entertaining race in the NFC North.

It would have been nice to have Allen at an Avrilesque contract, just not for four years. Thomas, Sherman, and Wilson need to get paid first. Good signing for the Bears, however.

I highly doubt he will play out those 4 years. They were smart to only guarantee the first 2 years of that deal ($15.5m). Odds are he won't see year 3.

Edited by tazinib1

Peppers to Allen is a lateral move . . . . not impressed

I think 11.5 sacks is an upgrade over 7.5. Allen has him in every single statistical category with the exception of the one INT Peppers had. He's two years younger as well. Peppers has also been plagued by injuries the last few years, most glaring is the plantar fasciitis. When a large man like Peppers begins to get this injury it is unlikely it will ever go away. That injury is absolute death in a game like football.

We will see how it plays out this year, but as a Bears fan I'd prefer to have Allen over Peppers at this point and going forward. Less risk IMO.

• Like 1

I'd take Allen over Peppers, and it's not even close, really. Peppers is on the verge of being a shell of his former self, frankly. Dinged up lately, and even though he's only two years older than Allen, there might be more like a 3-4 year difference, in terms of what they have left in the tank. Not to mention, like I alluded to, Peppers is already showing major signs of getting old. Granted, nobody knows for sure how long they both WANT to play. But, in terms of playing at a relatively high level, Allen seems to have quite a bit more left.

Allen had a down year, but it's hard to say how much of that was due to age. Even though he's past the mid-point of his career, I certainly wouldn't say he's in the twilight of his career, or even necessarily the downside of it. Peppers most definitely is.

Again, I don't think it's even close.

• Like 1

I'd have taken Allen over Peppers or Ware. The Broncos are going to regret signing Ware who's showing injury tendencies as he ages over a guy who has very little injury history and not much sign of declining production in Allen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ware has exactly 1 year of injury history where he missed games. Same age and basically the same numbers statistically prior to last year. I have no problem with Ware as he will have a nice season this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ware has exactly 1 year of injury history where he missed games. Same age and basically the same numbers statistically prior to last year. I have no problem with Ware as he will have a nice season this year.

Correct, he had not missed a game in the NFL prior to 2013. There was one game in 2009 he did not start but played. Maybe they were talking about minor injuries that reduce his effectiveness and not necessarily missing games.

Those that believe Peppers to Allen isn't an upgrade are

:wacko:

I hear circus music in my head.

This is a huge upgrade.

Hmm . . . I guess you're right . . . Peppers is 34 . . . Allen is 31. I thought they were around the same age. Although they were only separated by 7 tackles last year. . .

Hmm . . . I guess you're right . . . Peppers is 34 . . . Allen is 31. I thought they were around the same age. Although they were only separated by 7 tackles last year. . .

Sorry, I'm not looking at tackle stats when I'm looking at defensive ends.

I was a HUGH Peppers fan. But the guy's game went down faster than whomper after a few shots.

Allen's game isn't what it used to be but I think he has a couple of real good years left in him. This will recharge his batteries, IMO.

• Like 1