[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL says the 2014 schedule will be released mid-April

DMD

2014 schedule release expected mid-April

Posted by Chris Brown on April 1, 2014 – 10:41 am

Every year the NFL’s regular season schedule is released around mid-April, but in recent years there have been delays at times. According to NFL Senior VP of Communications Greg Aiello the release of the schedule is expected to be on time this spring.

In an interview with ProFootballTalk Aiello confirmed the league is aiming for the “normal target” of mid-April.

That would be nice since they have been late the last couple of years and now with the NFL draft on May 10th-12th, I was afraid the schedule would also be a few weeks late.

Does anyone know what's the reason NFL release the schedule so late? I believe the opponents were released long time ago. The build up for when teams play each other is kind of unnecessary.

There is quite a bit that goes into making a schedule.

Does anyone know what's the reason NFL release the schedule so late? I believe the opponents were released long time ago. The build up for when teams play each other is kind of unnecessary.

The opponents are determined as soon as the season is over, in fact most are known for 2015 already. A couple are determined by like finishes in divisions. I don't think playoffs matter, not sure though.

The opponents are determined as soon as the season is over, in fact most are known for 2015 already. A couple are determined by like finishes in divisions. I don't think playoffs matter, not sure though.

From rotation of non-divisional opponents, 14 of 16 opponents are already known. The other 2 are based on same position of finish in the division for the other 2 divisions in the same conference. Playoffs don't matter in this regard.
  • Like 1

From rotation of non-divisional opponents, 14 of 16 opponents are already known. The other 2 are based on same position of finish in the division for the other 2 divisions in the same conference. Playoffs don't matter in this regard.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

As Taz said making the schedule is difficult. Add in the change to Thursday night with CBS having 8 games, some expected to be higher caliber matchups, and the draft being later. It's coming soon.

and I would think the 49ers schedule will be even harder to make with no Monday or Sunday night games allowed at new stadium ?

and I would think the 49ers schedule will be even harder to make with no Monday or Sunday night games allowed at new stadium ?

It was no MNF or TNF due to commuter traffic and parking concerns. But they will have 10,000 more parking spaces than expected so those dates may open up again.

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_24912998/49ers-new-stadium-adding-10-000-parking-spaces

After putting 4 teams in a week 12 bye I am hoping they somehow go back to week 11 as the last bye week because this created havoc with the FFPC leagues. In every FFPC 11 week regular season league last year I passed on AJ Green, McCoy, Lynch and Spiller because I did not want to have my 1st/2nd round pick on a bye for the 1st week of the playoffs.

The 1st thing I will check is the byes followed by who plays on Monday night week 16 since that is final game for most leagues.

The

After putting 4 teams in a week 12 bye I am hoping they somehow go back to week 11 as the last bye week because this created havoc with the FFPC leagues. In every FFPC 11 week regular season league last year I passed on AJ Green, McCoy, Lynch and Spiller because I did not want to have my 1st/2nd round pick on a bye for the 1st week of the playoffs.

The 1st thing I will check is the byes followed by who plays on Monday night week 16 since that is final game for most leagues.

NFL and their schedule makers don't really care about fantasy football, so unless there is another legitimate reason to make changes to bye weeks I don't think you'll get your wish.

Rumors I've been hearing elsewhere are next week, possibly Tue or Thu. I think it would be nice if they set a date in advance, say 1-3 weeks before the draft so people would know instead of it being some big secret. Not sure what their reasons are, but now with all the media coverage dedicated to it its become more of an event like the draft or combine, and would be better if it was known well in advance. Don't really care myself, but know some people that are going nuts waiting for it (and angry they haven't gotten it yet).

Per Rotoworld:

The league will announce the 2014 schedule Wednesday at 8PM ET on NFL Network.

The "drama" is over. :sleep: This season's matchups are already known, but the dates are not.

The season will begin on a Thursday night in Seattle, where the defending-champion Seahawks will likely host a conference rival.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

The Bears????? Thought it had to be an AFC team. :shrug:

Apparently they have what the NFL is calling cross network flexing this year, with somes games featuring an NFC road team on CBS and teams with an AFC road team on Fox. It is strange and some speculation that it has to do with evening things out because of the Thursday games on CBS.

That year when they moved a game from one network to another they said "we may do more of this" and as the schedule came out now they also said "we're going to do some of this now".

There were also changes to the flex scheduling, with them being able to do that for games in the weeks 5-10 window. Here is something I read on another forum, don't know how accurate it is, but the people there usually know their stuff and nobody disputed it as factual.

I just heard Rich Eisen explain the new SNF flex rules on his podcast

Basically weeks 11-17 will be as you were. Week 17 is free choice for the NFL/NBC to try and get a win-and-in game, weeks 11-16 has 5 protections each for CBS/FOX, but maximum one per week.

For the weeks 5-10, on the Tuesday 12 days before the game, the league/NBC will either decide to lock the original SNF in place, or "express interest" in a flex. If they choose the latter option, CBS and FOX have 24 hours to protect one of their games, and after that 24 hours the league/NBC has free choice, but only twice per season.

Seriously, they playing NFC West teams I doubt they will make playoff this year.

So does DEN, which could make it harder for them to have 12-14 wins this year, which would put them down the pecking order in AFC division winners. (No, not saying they automatically win, but have to be odds on favorite to win division and be a top AFC contender.)

Haha the Raiders got screwed.

Week 1 cross-country to NJ

Week 2 home

Week 3 cross-country to Boston

Week 4 trans-atlantic to London "home" game

And just in case they survive that and are making a run at 7-9 late in the year to save some jobs:

Week 14 SFO

Week 15 @KC

Week 17 @DEN