[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SEC Guys... Info on QBs MN might take.

dfv87

these 2 are being linked to the Vikes in the 2nd round (gotta love draft speculation)... SO what do we know about them? I kinda like what i hear about these 2 except the knee injury for the LSU QB...

Looking for some info if you know any...

If they're planning for the future - and it would appear as if they should be - they would be best suited to take Mettenberger. He's a far better prospect in terms of ceiling.

I was once a Murray supporter but think that he plateaued on his team, all the while surrounded by superior talent. Murray is solid and does many things quite well but he's on the shorter side, has durability concerns, and should have shined a little more surrounded by the studs he had on his team, despite playing against elite talent. Limited upside, IMO.

Edit - Mettenberger compares well to Joe Flacco. Big, tall presence in the pocket with a cannon for an arm and throws a great deep ball. He needs to work on his pocket presence as well as his huddle presence.

Murray is more of an Andy Dalton type. Does many things well but doesn't possess an elite trait.

Edited by darin3

I just know they are being mentioned for possible Vikings picks as QB is a hot button here in MN... I have only seen a game for each or two at the most. I like the LSU kid's arm but the GA kid seemed like he had better all around game, seems like Darin has a similar assessment... Today they are projecting Bridgewater to MN and I am not sure I like that either, as it would be a 1st rounder... I just know that the rest of the team cannot get settled until we get a qb that can put the ball in the EZ late in games to win a game or bail out a def or coach...

I just know they are being mentioned for possible Vikings picks as QB is a hot button here in MN... I have only seen a game for each or two at the most. I like the LSU kid's arm but the GA kid seemed like he had better all around game, seems like Darin has a similar assessment... Today they are projecting Bridgewater to MN and I am not sure I like that either, as it would be a 1st rounder... I just know that the rest of the team cannot get settled until we get a qb that can put the ball in the EZ late in games to win a game or bail out a def or coach...

This is not the year to overextend on a QB. Guys have shot up the board (Bortles, Garappolo to name a couple) but this is still a pretty diluted QB class. There's depth, to a degree, but none of these guys really figure to be consistent performers or All-Pros. That said, you'd like to think that teams (especially a team like the Vikings that whiffed hardcore on Ponder a few years back) would just sit back and let other teams grab these "higher ranked QBs" and wait for a project to come down the pipeline.

I think Mettenberger is one such "project". Big arm, big upside. He'll last into the 2nd day and the Vikings could (and probably should) consider taking him and allow him to develop. Heck, he's used to wearing purple. :woot:

This is not the year to overextend on a QB. Guys have shot up the board (Bortles, Garappolo to name a couple) but this is still a pretty diluted QB class. There's depth, to a degree, but none of these guys really figure to be consistent performers or All-Pros. That said, you'd like to think that teams (especially a team like the Vikings that whiffed hardcore on Ponder a few years back) would just sit back and let other teams grab these "higher ranked QBs" and wait for a project to come down the pipeline.

I think Mettenberger is one such "project". Big arm, big upside. He'll last into the 2nd day and the Vikings could (and probably should) consider taking him and allow him to develop. Heck, he's used to wearing purple. :woot:

You nailed it with regard to QB's. This is a good year to be patient and wait on a QB. Not sure Mettenberger is the guy, but there are plenty of 2nd and 3rd tier QB's that could turn into solid QB's in this draft.

You nailed it with regard to QB's. This is a good year to be patient and wait on a QB. Not sure Mettenberger is the guy, but there are plenty of 2nd and 3rd tier QB's that could turn into solid QB's in this draft.

I've also heard rumors that the Vikes COULD be smokescreening here a little, kind of what they did with Manti Te'o last year. Reports were out there that they had Te'o in for what ended up being a great visit for both player and team, and that he was as good as a Viking. Wrong.

That said, Mettenberger falls right in line with the Norv Turner system and it really kind of "makes sense" for them to take him at some point during the 2nd day.

The Te'O pick was the first indication to me, as a Charger fan, that Telesco had made this team his. Norv is a pass happy man first and foremost. Make no mistake about it, the Vikings will select a QB first then probably go OL to keep AP happy. They actually had a decent defense last year...now they are minus the big dog who took his services to Chicago....not sure if they can overcome that one. Big mistake IMO

The Te'O pick was the first indication to me, as a Charger fan, that Telesco had made this team his. Norv is a pass happy man first and foremost. Make no mistake about it, the Vikings will select a QB first then probably go OL to keep AP happy. They actually had a decent defense last year...now they are minus the big dog who took his services to Chicago....not sure if they can overcome that one. Big mistake IMO

The Vikings covet Khalil Mack and will do backflips if they can get him at 1.08. I could see them moving up to get him, too. They need a LB more than anything. They will NOT select a QB in the 1st, are you serious? Not a chance.

The Vikings covet Khalil Mack and will do backflips if they can get him at 1.08. I could see them moving up to get him, too. They need a LB more than anything. They will NOT select a QB in the 1st, are you serious? Not a chance.

You really think Mack falls to 1.8?? Not a chance.

You really think Mack falls to 1.8?? Not a chance.

Hence me saying they'd do backflips if they got him at 1.08... and that they'd probably have to move up. :lol:

Mack could technically go #1 overall. I don't think he WILL, but the guy is a freak and there were murmurs of him possibly going #1.

Mack will go at 6 or 7 and I see MIN taking Fuller at 8. They need a CB that can deal with the likes of Megatron and the Bears duo.

Hence me saying they'd do backflips if they got him at 1.08... and that they'd probably have to move up. :lol:

Mack could technically go #1 overall. I don't think he WILL, but the guy is a freak and there were murmurs of him possibly going #1.

Mack will go at 6 or 7 and I see MIN taking Fuller at 8. They need a CB that can deal with the likes of Megatron and the Bears duo.

ANd that brings us back to the 2nd round. Probably the draft for the Vikings IMO. If they flail on this pick, they are doomed.

I think the Vikes will take the best LB or DB on the board at 1.08 and then depending upon how many (if any) QB's get taken, they might trade back into the bottom of the first round to take their QB. There are a lot of teams that will probably look for a QB in the early second round, and the Vikes need to stay ahead of that run.