[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle dynasty rankings

Henry Muto

Need some explaining folks

How is the 2 oldest QB's ranked 1/2 in dynasty rankings ?

1 Brees

2 Peyton

How in gods name is Rodgers below both those guys for dynasty

How is Luck the 12th ranked dynasty QB below Tom Brady and Rivers and Jay Cutler ?

That's really bad go try and make some trades using these rankings Cutler or Rivers for Luck probably going to get you laughed out of the league.

Who here is taking P-Thomas over Foster ? Somehow Foster is ranked below Gore and P-Thomas ?

Gore is 31 years old how is he ranked so high ?

I get Foster got hurt last year but you really taking Gore or P-Thomas over Foster in a trade or a startup draft ?

Andre Ellington at 38 is way too low I mean Blount is ranked ahead of him and Greene

I get Julio was injured last year but 9th ranked WR is so low below Antonio Brown who was great last year and 30 year old Marshall and V-Jackson at 10th too high consider his age.

Roddy White is ranked ahead of Cobb ?

Those are rankings based off last year and we are currently working on the full-blown rankings for 2014 which have to wait for mid-May for the NFL draft to even happen. As for dynasty ranks, the question that comes up each year is just how much do you value youth/age? Even in a dynastly league, I would not look out further than about a year or so. Especially with QBs since most leagues are only going to start ten or twelve of them anyway.

Brees and Manning are huge advantages. What is better? Hoping your second tier QB gets better with age or own the #1 or #2 QB for 2014? Looking down the road more than about one year is optimistic at best as the changes come too fast. Look back two years ago to see how much changes. Dynasty teams typically far overvalue rookies when not even half end up worthy of consideration. Would you rather have an up and comer like say Luck, or Manning this year? I would rather have Manning and I will get a #2 that will be decent. And I will enjoy the #1 QB advantage this year.

This happened most every year since we put out a dynasty rank starting in January that goes away once we have the time to evaluate and analyze every player, all the changes in personnel, the rookies, the actual schedules, etc. I'll happily discuss any of those rankings by name. The current generic dynasty page cannot take all that stuff into account. As for ranking the top QBs as the top QB regardless of age, I would contend that is correct. Take the advantage now and worry about later later.

No one will ever agree on dynasty rankings they are all over the place from site to site but I can't stay I agree with this site's approach. This is how teams get really bad really fast in dynasty when they have a bunch of old players that fall off with nothing of youth behind them.

Edited by Henry Muto

In crafting a dynasty team, you have to make decisions apart from any rankings in order to have both a competitive team this year - one that you hope will win it all - and yet do that without sacrificing future seasons so much that you cannot be competitive then. The tendency of most in dynasty leagues is to over-value youth and undervalue older players just because you may only get a season or two from them. You have to decide where you want youth at the expense of a better player with a shorter term outlook and vice versa. I guess that is the main conflict here - it is all about how you go about constructing an ideal dynasty team. Having played in such for 15+ years, I have repeatedly come to the conclusion that the best team focuses mostly on winning it all this year. I love rookies as much as the next guy, trust me, but I would tend to stick with the older known players than over pay for promise.

The rankings were made to help people decide who to keep in the offseason for those few leagues that have to make that decision. Here in six weeks when there are rankings, projections, writeups et al that have considered all the team movements, rookies, schedule, etc. then let's discuss it.

The reality is that NFL teams themselves make "dynasty" decisions every year. They decide how much to value this year and how much to save for the next. Do you think an NFL team would prefer any other QB to Manning or Brees? Do you think an NFL team considers what any of their starters are going to be like in 3 years? They all pretty much are playing for this year without trying to screw themselves the next.

Do you think an NFL team would prefer any other QB to Manning or Brees?

I can think of three.

With respect to the question at hand, I think that doing dynasty rankings is difficult, and much more so because of the diversity in dynasty formats. I generally believe in doing a three year value stack plus futures weight This year gets about 40% of the weight. 30 and 20 for years 2 and three. About 10% is left for future prospects, which can vary greatly based on position.

Winning now is important. I don't let it drive my decisions 100%', but it factors heavily.

• Like 1

It's certain that luck plays a major factor in winning Championships. However, way more skill is involved when it comes to putting yoursmelf in position too, by making the playoffs, to than make a run at the Title. That's why in many, if not all of my leagues, many of the same owners always seem to be in contention, year after year. Winning titles is all about having the right mix of players, consistent vets to blend with the yearly hot new-comers who perform way above their average draft position by season's end. This is especially true when it comes to wanting to be a consistent, yearly contender in dynasty leagues. Sure, it's great to have high-flying vets like Manning or Brees anchoring your team but you better make plans to have a guy like Luck, or RG3, etc.

I also agree with others in this thread who have stated that Rodgers should not be ranked below the likes of Manning and Brees. Luck should also be ranked much higher and quite possibly rival Rodgers for the #1 spot. I also agree on Ellington being too low and Foster being behind guys like PT and Gore. Ellington might crack the Top 15 and Foster around the Top 10, while Gore and PT might fall out of the Top 25.

In regard to WRs brought up, Julio should be Top 5 and Cobb should be in the Top 10, WAY higher than Roddy White.

As PON pointed out, Dynasty rankings should not be the same as yearly redrafts. In the end, I guess to each is own but creating rankings based largely on past production is just playing behind the curve in this ever changing hobby. To stay ahead of things you have to be willing to combine taking risks, along with making a few expected picks. Being a gunslinger and a gambler has always served me well, way moreso than making the status quo predictable picks.

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

You guys are arguing a moot point. David has already stated that the rankings will change after the draft. Lol....funny read though.

I hear ya, Taz. However, for people with drafts now, the current rankings don't help or make sense.

Oh, is it this time of year again already?

:lol:

I have never really understood people getting too bent out of shape over rankings. If someone feels strongly that a player should be much higher/lower than he is ranked on a certain list, then they should just move that player accordingly. If someone finds they have strong opinions on where most players belong, then they should go with how they feel and create their own rankings.

Edited by Delicious_bass

:lol:

I have never really understood people getting too bent out of shape over rankings. If someone feels strongly that a player should be much higher/lower than he is ranked on a certain list, then they should just move that player accordingly. If someone finds they have strong opinions on where most players belong, then they should go with how they feel and create their own rankings.

I don't even know how to respond to this

DMD already said that the rankings will be legit after the NFL draft. The draft will have a major impact on tons of players anyhow, so not much point in having rankings all worked out this early.

DMD already said that the rankings will be legit after the NFL draft. The draft will have a major impact on tons of players anyhow, so not much point in having rankings all worked out this early.

Most dynasty leagues that I play in have already begun their RFA periods, so there is a point to some I guess.

• Like 1

I know you don't. That is why you spend so much time pissing and moaning about things most knowlegable fantasy owners understand and accept as part of the game.

No matter when these rankings were made even last year, last night in no way would Andrew Luck be ranked 12th QB behind guys like Rivers and Cutler.

So apparently when I see something that is way off we should just keep it to our selves and let the paying customers figure out for themselves what is right and wrong here.

Dynasty more than anything is a judgment call on rankings but when you see some that are so far off you should say something and ask "why is this great site" whoever they are making rankings like this ?

Is that so bad to ask that question ?

Apparently it is to you but maybe for the thousands of people who are following their rankings I want that question asked. Maybe not everyone is so blessed to be in the know about fantasy football as you are. How many people are just starting dynasty how many are in a startup draft as we speak maybe following these rankings ?

How are 35 and 38 year old QBs the 1/2 in a dynasty format at any time in the past year ? Never

A-Rodgers would be ahead of them at ever step of the way from last year until now at the very least but hey everyone just figure it out for yourself because this guy thinks no one should ever ask a question.

• Like 1