[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best First Round Fantasy Wideout

DMD

First Round Rookie Wideouts  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which rookie wideout would you most want on a redraft team this year?

• Sammy Watkins (with EJ Manuel as QB)
    • Mike Evans (with unsure as QB)
    • Odell Beckham (With Eli Manning as QB)
    • Brandin Cooks (with Drew Brees as QB)
    • Kelvin Benjamin (with Cam Newton as QB)

Which one are you most interested in for this year? Five different top wideouts and all are different from each other and have different offenses they are ending up in.

I am not enamored with any of them right now and would rather see where some of the remaining WRs go tomorrow. But of the 5, I would take Watkins on sheer talent to potentially pull an AJ Green and take a mediocre QB and make him look better because he is so good.

Edited by Wpob

Cooks is definitely in the best situation and has the skills to take advantage, but his size limits his upside. Still, he is the top redraft WR due to situation.

Evans is the best WR in the class, so he would be my top dynasty target.

I like Evans playing next to Vincent Jackson. Josh McCown did pretty well with two big receivers last year in Chicago . . .

Agree.

I like Brandin Cooks too, but I think he'll be hit and miss each week.

Watkins is the most talented receiver in this class and is going to be the #1 WR for his team. I'm not sure how I could pick anyone else.

Cooks landed in a nice spot but with so many "cooks" in the kitchen there, he may have a good game followed by 2-3 stinkers.

I like Evans' potential but it'll take a year or two for him to adjust to the NFL game.

Yeah it's Watkins for me by a very wide margin. He was there on talent alone, but getting rid of Johnson means 125+ targets minimum. Unlike most, I'm pretty high on Manuel in terms of getting him the ball.

I went with Evans for the purpose of this poll. His size & athleticism alone should win him a number of 1on1's. That said, I really feel like Jordan Matthews is in the best position to make an early splash. Cooper is not the answer and Chip is probably fully aware of this. Maclin is incredibly talented but is made of Amendola-like peanut brittle. I could easily see Matthews ascending the ranks rather quickly and becoming a reliable 3 with upside by mid season.

Yeah it's Watkins for me by a very wide margin. He was there on talent alone, but getting rid of Johnson means 125+ targets minimum. Unlike most, I'm pretty high on Manuel in terms of getting him the ball.

Done.

• 1 month later...

I went with Evans for the purpose of this poll. His size & athleticism alone should win him a number of 1on1's. That said, I really feel like Jordan Matthews is in the best position to make an early splash. Cooper is not the answer and Chip is probably fully aware of this. Maclin is incredibly talented but is made of Amendola-like peanut brittle. I could easily see Matthews ascending the ranks rather quickly and becoming a reliable 3 with upside by mid season.

fwiw, I yesterday I asked LeSean McCoy how Maclin looked and he said, He's looking fast, decisive on his routes, look like the old Maclin to me. That's always a good thing." Granted McCoy is a teammate so take it for what it's worth, but he also could have said, "he's working his way back blah blah blah."

I really like Matthews potential This year and would make him the first wr on my board with or without a healthy Maclin. ... even though Foles will be spreading the ball around to several players...Sproles and Ertz as well... he may end up as productive as Cooks but who knows. ..

Even though I really like Watkins and Evans, I went with Cooks. The simple fact is he has the best QB throwing him the ball.

Manuel is inn his second year and Watkins might have an AJ Green affect on him but I'm not sold on it til i see it.

Evans is a #2 WR with McCown throwing to him. McCown might blow up and have a crazy good year or might revert back to his mediocore ways we'll see.

Cooks Is also a #2 WR but the differance is he is on a pass happy offense and he has Drew Bree slinging him the ball. So as long as Bree isn't retiring to go ride his Cam Am spyder, Cooks will get looks in space where his speed willl shine.

• 2 weeks later...

Watkins has to learn to run routes fully to begin with, they had basic route tree at Clemson (although partly due to Tahj Boyd) so he will have some learning to do so between that and EJ Manuel I doubt he'll be more than a flex play in tough bye weeks. Especially as he'll be expected to be a #1 guy with Stevie Johnson over in SF.

Mike Evans was my vote purely because of his size he'll be a good redzone option and although the Bucs only have McCown starting he proved last year he is capable. The threat of Vincent Jackson will mean he won't get the attention of the top cover corners.

• Like 1