[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon suspended for 2014-15?

CaptainHook

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon could face a season-long suspension after a second failed drug test months ago, this time for Josh Gordon, sources told "Outside the Lines" on Friday.

Reached by phone Friday afternoon, Gordon said: "That's something you're going to have to talk to [agent] Drew Rosenhaus about. I really don't know anything about it."

Asked whether he planned an appeal of his suspension and test, Gordon said, "I'm going to have to find out about that later. You need to call Drew," before hanging up.

Rosenhaus declined to comment but said the information was "not true."

The 23-year-old Gordon was expected to the top target for Brian Hoyer or rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel this upcoming season.

Gordon, who was suspended last season without pay for two games and two additional game checks for his first violation of the league's policy, led the Browns with 87 receptions and had nine touchdowns last season. He led the NFL with 1,646 receiving yards and became the first player in NFL history with consecutive 200-yard receiving games.

Gordon said last year's suspension was the result of using cough syrup that contained codeine -- a banned substance.

Two sources told "Outside the Lines" Friday that Gordon's latest violation is the result of Josh Gordon being found during a drug test. One source said that Gordon received a letter in early winter from a league physician stating he had failed a test. A second letter, informing Gordon that he faced a 16-game suspension but had the right to appeal, was sent in late April.

Gordon had drug-testing problems in college as well. He was dismissed from the Baylor Bears after being suspended twice for Josh Gordon use. He transferred to Utah but didn't play there after failing another drug test.

Gordon is considered the star on an offense that added Manziel Thursday night with the 22nd selection in the first round of the draft.

Prior to the draft, Gordon pushed behind the scenes for the Browns to take Manziel.

"I think I was just a big fan of his overall game, his prowess on it," Gordon said Friday on "SVP & Russillo" on ESPN Radio, before "Outside the Lines" reported the substance abuse policy violation. "His outlook on it. His fire and ambition and will to win was greater than I think any other prospect in the draft.

"Despite all the mixed reviews and the media downsizing him, his perseverance seemed to be a lot greater than that. I saw something a lot deeper than just his talent that could take us to the next level."

via espn.com

How many times can Browns fans get kicked in the nuts? :nutkick:

There's a special place in heaven for all Browns fans. :innocent:

Per rotoworld, Nate Burleson broke his left arm at a minicamp practice. It's the same arm he broke in a car accident last year.

When it rains, it pours. :wacko:

Burleson wil be ready to go for training camp. Gordon suspension talk is just a rumor at this point. Why blow up your draft and start taking WR. Could there be WR issue, sure but you could be just as screwed making moves in a panic

I haven't seen too many drug suspension rumors not be true. I also haven't seen too many overturned on appeal, except Ryan Braun, and we all found out he was a fraud.

dude kills me.

Agreed. Imagine starting an NFL career as a QB with only Greg Little, Nate Burleson, Travis Benjamin and Andrew Hawkins as WR.

Agreed. Imagine starting an NFL career as a QB with only Greg Little, Nate Burleson, Travis Benjamin and Andrew Hawkins as WR.

I have Hawkins 20 spots higher in my rankings than most and believe he still has a chance to become a WR2/WR3 type

I have Hawkins 20 spots higher in my rankings than most and believe he still has a chance to become a WR2/WR3 type

I presume DMD is refereing to Manziel starting an NFL career. He's likely to start his career with a clipboard and headset. At least that is the vibe the team is giving off at this time (Hoyer is the starter, Manziel is a backup). I'd be very surprised if he starts on opening day.

I presume DMD is refereing to Manziel starting an NFL career. He's likely to start his career with a clipboard and headset. At least that is the vibe the team is giving off at this time (Hoyer is the starter, Manziel is a backup). I'd be very surprised if he starts on opening day.

Good, I hope this is the case. I would hate to see Manziel getting injured for a substandard WR core. Hopefully he will eventually be traded to a team that has a receiving core. Passing on Evans was a huge mistake.

He wont have to . . . . which is why Manziel is all smiles.he gets to sit a year and observe Hoyer get beat up with very little WR help. Then he gets to start the following year with Gordon back and some other WR help via FA or the draft in 2015.Plan for the future . . .

He wont have to . . . . which is why Manziel is all smiles.he gets to sit a year and observe Hoyer get beat up with very little WR help. Then he gets to start the following year with Gordon back and some other WR help via FA or the draft in 2015.Plan for the future . . .

I hope this is right, but it is certainly possible that Manziel is the day 1 starter.

I think Manziel starts week 1. Hoyer is an absolute nobody, journeyman, career backup. No way he holds off Manziel.

I think Manziel starts week 1. Hoyer is an absolute nobody, journeyman, career backup. No way he holds off Manziel.

Bullhonda :lol: Did you see Hoyer last year? He played pretty well, then got hurt. Why would the Browns throw him out there to get killed when they can have Hoyer do that and build the long term plan? Brand new regime, so no need to rush things. They can ease Manziel in next year when he has weapons to succeed.

Bullhonda :lol: Did you see Hoyer last year? He played pretty well, then got hurt. Why would the Browns throw him out there to get killed when they can have Hoyer do that and build the long term plan? Brand new regime, so no need to rush things. They can ease Manziel in next year when he has weapons to succeed.

Exactly. They'll let Hoyer (a FA in 2015) start this year, the team will suck, and they'll be in a position to get Amari Cooper or Devin Funchess to pair with Gordon on the other side.

Plus the Browns don't need Manziel to play to put fans in the seats, we consistently sell out (no blackouts or even threat of a blackout in years). I hope they let Hoyer start, we've ruined enough QBs because we threw them to the wolves too soon.

DId you all see/read what Haslam said about Gordon, that the team will not be cutting ties with him (read here in Huddle News). "We all made mistakes when we were that age." Yeah but most of us were not throwing away millions to smoke a little Josh Gordon.

Also read they signed FA WR Earl Bennett

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/report-browns-sign-free-agent-wide-receiver-earl-bennett-1.488190

And that they have told the national media "Stay away this weekend when we have our rookie minicamp".

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/browns-limiting-access-to-johnny-manziel-1.488198?localLinksEnabled=false