[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon suspended for 2014-15?

CaptainHook

doesn't gordon have to apply to be resubmitted to the league -- assuming it is a one year suspension? I don't think he serves one year and is automatically back in. If Gordon doesn't convince the league he's good, then his NFL career would be over.

:blink:

:link: ???

doesn't gordon have to apply to be resubmitted to the league -- assuming it is a one year suspension? I don't think he serves one year and is automatically back in. If Gordon doesn't convince the league he's good, then his NFL career would be over.

also, CLE signed Miles Austin.

How do you figure his career would be over? :lol: He's only 23. And just for chits and giggles, name me how many players have been suspended for an entire season. And what does convincing the league he's any good have anything to do with nothing? Opie's been standing in line at those Colorado green houses lately I take it.

• Like 1

How do you figure his career would be over? :lol: He's only 23. And just for chits and giggles, name me how many players have been suspended for an entire season. And what does convincing the league he's any good have anything to do with nothing? Opie's been standing in line at those Colorado green houses lately I take it.

Ummm . . . Justin Blackmon? Charles Rogers? Matt Jones? He's going down a dangerous road here . . . one their has not been a lot of success returning from . . . Edited by CaptainHook
  • Like 1

That's all fine and dandy, but I'm still looking for something that says Gordon will have to go before the NFL to convince them that he's clean in order for them to let him back into the league after the year's "break". When someone talks out of their bunghole, they should probably be ready to back it up.

Now, perhaps I just don't know the NFL rulebook and my 10 minutes of research yesterday wasn't comprehensive enough, so if I'm wrong I'll certainly admit that I whiffed and didn't know the rule.... but until then it looks like LorDopie was just spewing inaccurate information again.

That's all fine and dandy, but I'm still looking for something that says Gordon will have to go before the NFL to convince them that he's clean in order for them to let him back into the league after the year's "break". When someone talks out of their bunghole, they should probably be ready to back it up.

Now, perhaps I just don't know the NFL rulebook and my 10 minutes of research yesterday wasn't comprehensive enough, so if I'm wrong I'll certainly admit that I whiffed and didn't know the rule.... but until then it looks like LorDopie was just spewing inaccurate information again.

No link from me either because I am too tired to go find one, but I think he is right. Justin Blackmon is going through it now right? He has to apply for reinstatement.

• Like 1

I'm not certain about how it works with the players, but Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis, Joe Vitt & Gregg Williams all had to apply for reinstatement after their suspensions so it's not really all that far-fetched that a player would have to go through the same process after a lengthy suspension.

• Like 1

No link from me either because I am too tired to go find one, but I think he is right. Justin Blackmon is going through it now right? He has to apply for reinstatement.

So it says here:

His latest suspension begins immediately. He will be eligible to apply for reinstatement prior to the start of the 2014 season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9913531/justin-blackmon-jacksonville-jaguars-suspended-indefinitely

• Like 1

"Gordon also tested positive for a banned substance in 2013, later identified by Gordon as codeine contained in cough medicine. He was suspended for the first two games by the NFL and fined an additional two game checks.

That violation also moved Gordon into Stage 3 of the NFL substance abuse program because he had a previous violation that was unannounced. Players moved to Stage 3 are subject to up to 10 unannounced drug tests every month.

A violation in Stage 3 results in a suspension of a minimum of one calendar year. The player can apply for reinstatement after that. If reinstated, he goes back into Stage 3 for the remainder of his career."

Source: http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=32521

• Like 1

OK, found something on it.

If Gordon is in Stage 2 of the program, he will be suspended between four and six games. Of course, the league could decide to send a bigger statement with a lengthier ban. If he is in Stage 3 of the program, Gordon will miss a minimum of the entire season and must then apply for reinstatement.

http://fansided.com/...6-games/#!OLKhp

ETA: Evidently Darin didn't look very hard. :rolleyes:

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

Thanks to all who assisted my post with more info.

You still haven't explained his career being over part. All the other stuff is just research ..... at 23, his career would HARDLY be over after proving he is an explosive WR and set all sorts of NFL records. I can name 31 teams ( :huh:) that will part mountains in order to get a crack at him, that is IF Cleveland were to release him (which I very SERIOUSLY doubt would ever happen)in lieu of a season long suspension. I'm sure Gordon would not mind if he were indeed released since he's playing with a SERVERY underpaid rookie contract. But to say his career would be over is asinine.

Different sites and different reporting agencies have him at Stage 2 or Stage 3. We just don't know for sure but I am also pretty sure he will appeal that positive test. So this could drag on for a bit longer I'm afraid. IMO, not that it matters, Gordon gets 8 games and it catapulted into Stage 3 for the rest of his career.

Edited by tazinib1
  • Like 1

You still haven't explained his career being over part. All the other stuff is just research ..... at 23, his career would HARDLY be over after proving he is an explosive WR and set all sorts of NFL records. I can name 31 teams ( :huh:) that will part mountains in order to get a crack at him, that is IF Cleveland were to release him (which I very SERIOUSLY doubt would ever happen)in lieu of a season long suspension. I'm sure Gordon would not mind if he were indeed released since he's playing with a SERVERY underpaid rookie contract. But to say his career would be over is asinine.

Different sites and different reporting agencies have him at Stage 2 or Stage 3. We just don't know for sure but I am also pretty sure he will appeal that positive test. So this could drag on for a bit longer I'm afraid. IMO, not that it matters, Gordon gets 8 games and it catapulted into Stage 3 for the rest of his career.

If the league doesn't agree to his reinstatement then I think that would pretty effectively end his career, wouldn't you say? Not saying I think they would do that, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility. And the fact that IF he is reinstated then he would remain in stage 3 for the remainder of his career puts him on an extremely tight leash.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

If the league doesn't agree to his reinstatement then I think that would pretty effectively end his career, wouldn't you say?

Well sure, but I have forgotten that you really DO need to say what should be .... oh nevermind.

Well sure, but I have forgotten that you really DO need to say what should be .... oh nevermind.

FWIW, I agree that it's pretty premature to be talking about his career possibly being over. We've seen players guilty of far worse being allowed back in. However, in today's heavy-handed NFL, I would say that nothing is out of the realm of possibility. Too bad the owners don't get held to the same standards as the players.
  • Like 1

But what does the reinstatement process involve?

With the NFL considering loosening its grip on the Josh Gordon side of the drug policy, I hardly think his career is over.

For the record, I own Gordon in zero leagues so I'm not just posing this question as pie-in-the-sky. I just found it a little preemptive to say his career could be over, especially since it's unclear as to what stage he's at in the process.

I Googled it 5 different ways and didn't come up with the links provided. I guess I suck at Googling, or at life in general. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'm not certain about how it works with the players, but Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis, Joe Vitt & Gregg Williams all had to apply for reinstatement after their suspensions so it's not really all that far-fetched that a player would have to go through the same process after a lengthy suspension.

I believe that was spelled out in those suspensions, remember reading about it.

First things first, the NFL needs to announce the suspension, and if there are any special terms like reinstatement by the league after some interview/test process. That will probably be part of sais announcement. I hope the decision comes down from the NFL sooner rather than later. From what I found his 2 game suspension for 2013 was announced in early June last year, so probably another 2-4 weeks before the NFL announces it.

According to this, the team expects him to participate in practice this week. But the Browns sound prepared to go without him this year (Miles and Bennett signings, a bunch of UDFA WR signed)

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns-receiver-josh-gordon-expected-to-practice-still-awaits-word-on-suspension-1.489140

Does anyone really trust Rosenhaus?

Hell no.

But the ESPN Cleveland article linked above also closed with

"The NFL will not announce a suspension until Gordon’s appeal is heard."

So when is the appeal scheduled for, and how soon after that will the decision be made.

I posed the question to the guy in our league "Josh Gordon - keeper?" In our 5 player keeper league (more dynasy like rules for the keepers) its a tough decision if you think he's coming back and could be a stud. At least we don't need to declare until a week before our draft, which is the day after Labor Day (so the suspension will be known by then).

Rosenhaus is a scumbag, but from what I've heard on NFL Radio, it's also team sources saying they don't think it's a year ban. Still, they should have drafted a WR. They had opportunities to grab a good one not once but twice a couple weeks ago. Dumb.

We'll see how it all shakes out.

Seems very silly to even hypothesize that he would NOT get reinstated. Johnny Jolly was caught with enough codine to kill a cow, went to "truck you in the ass" prison and got re-instated.

Donte Stallworth was reinstated after being convicted of DUI manslaughter, which also included a positive test for Josh Gordon.

• Like 1