[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Gordon suspended for 2014-15?

CaptainHook

Im sick of hearing how he has problems, problems, oh he has problems.

He's what? 22? 23?

He likes to smoke and drink. We all do and/or did. He just hasn't matured. When I hear people say in a low, slow voice "he.....he has....problems" like all the talking heads do to think they're being cautious about him as a human being it makes me sick.

When you use that tone, those kinds of problems are serious alcohol addiction, meth, drug dealing arrests.

He's just a dumbass kid.

Do we all have DWI/DUI as well? Do we all repeatedly do things that risk million dollar careers? DO we all get bailed out of jail by a guy names Fats with a long rap sheet?

I agree with the last part, he's just a dumbass kid. I'd add he's entitled and doesn't think rules apply to him, like many athletes/celebrities. He cannot stop smoking pot, or hanging out with people that smoke pot even though it could ruin a very lucrative career.

He may very well have a drinking problem, and general addiction or drug dependency issues.

PS I generally don't listen to talking heads because they just flap their gums to hear themselves speak, and get ratings. Few have anything real or geniune to say.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/29/gordons-appeal-focuses-on-disparity-between-a-and-b-bottle-tests/

Soooo....he has been passing 10 tests per month, barely failed one of them, and 'has a problem'????

Gimme a break. He's a 22 yo millionaire athlete, of course he likes to party.

Honestly, who trucking cares that he tokes it up? It's not like he has the codes to the nukes. People need to get off their high horses. The NFL policy on Josh Gordon is about as draconian as can be.

http://profootballta...b-bottle-tests/

Soooo....he has been passing 10 tests per month, barely failed one of them, and 'has a problem'????

Honestly, who trucking cares that he tokes it up? It's not like he has the codes to the nukes. People need to get off their high horses. The NFL policy on Josh Gordon is about as draconian as can be.

And the players agreed to that policy.
  • Like 1

What's gonna happen when Josh Gordon is legalized all over this country?

What's gonna happen when Josh Gordon is legalized all over this country?

We'll see when we get there. Right now it is 2 states, and a bunch more that treat it as a prescription drug. (Well I hear Cali its practically legal recreationally since you can get a prescription so easily.)

What if your employer tests for it and it is legal where you live?

Fact is the athletes all know it is against the policy, and they continue to light up and piss away their careers.

BJ good point.

Just read that no decision is expected today, but it will be soon (just not immediately after the hearing). Makes sense since whoever does the hearing will then need to review that will Goodell before a decision is made. And Goodell is in Canton for the HOF ceremonies.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/no_decision_on_josh_gordons_su.html#incart_m-rpt-1

http://profootballta...b-bottle-tests/

I hear you. And I don't disagree with you that some policies should probably be different than they are. That said, we can only really go by the rules that are in place.

Gordon continues to choose to partake in illegal/prohibitted activities that he's been in trouble for multiple times previously. It's his own fault he's watched and tested as closely as he is. His continual disregard for the "rules" is negatively impacting his career. Some people (including myself) would say the point at which partying starts to be seriously detrimental to one's career and/or prospects of remaining out of jail is the point it has become a problem. At this point, Gordon is not in the trouble he's in because he got high. He's where he's at because he's made bad choices and demonstrated unwillingness to conform to the rules at pretty much every stage of his adult life. And let's be clear about that, too. He is an adult. A young adult for sure but still...he needs to be held accountable for his actions.

And it doesn't matter how many games Rice got for battering his ol lady. NFL has a well-defined policy on substance abuse and Gordon has chosen to test it. Period.

Edited by Delicious_bass
  • Like 1

I've opted to drop my last round flyer in both redraft leagues I'm in so far to add Gordon in the off chance the 2nd hand smoke defense turns his 16 game suspension into a 2 game suspension .... with crappy WR3s in each, it's a looooong shot worth pursuing for a bit, I think. Not much to loose, could end up with a quality upgrade a bit into the year if it works somehow (doubt it) and if he can stay out of the haze (doubt it) ... :ball:

• Like 1

If I was Commish and Gordon seriously tried the "it was second-hand smoke" defense, I would levy as harsh a punishment as I possibly could for him taking me for a fool on top of being a fool himself.

Own the bad decision and take your medicine, Josh :smash:

I doubt it was second hand smoke, but even if it was that is on him, he knew he was in the program and being tested. Stop hanging out with your friends smoking dope. I've know people in regular average joe jobs who had to take these kind of actions to avoid the temptation and potential second hand smoke issue.

As a Browns fan I'd like him to be able to play, but I'm also worried if the suspension is lifted we'll be on the edge of our seats waiting for the next issue.

I doubt it was second hand smoke, but even if it was that is on him, he knew he was in the program and being tested. Stop hanging out with your friends smoking dope. I've know people in regular average joe jobs who had to take these kind of actions to avoid the temptation and potential second hand smoke issue.

As a Browns fan I'd like him to be able to play, but I'm also worried if the suspension is lifted we'll be on the edge of our seats waiting for the next issue.

Exactly

And (from a pure selfish fantasy perspective) I would LOVE it if he somehow wiggles out of this and can play. He was a major contributor to me winning a championship last year and I have him as a keeper this year, too, if he is going to play. Definitely not counting on it, though.

Exactly

And (from a pure selfish fantasy perspective) I would LOVE it if he somehow wiggles out of this and can play so I can quickly trade him to someone else for a small ransom.He was a major contributor to me winning a championship last year and I have him as a keeper this year, too, if he is going to play. Definitely not counting on it, though.

Fixed.

Hearing lasted 10 hours and will resume Monday!

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/08/josh_gordons_appeal_hearing_la.html

Found this part to be interesting

A source said Henderson can impose something less than the minimum one-year ban, but that such reductions are rare because "it's an appeal and it's meant to be rejected or confirmed.''

Gordon remained in NY and did not return to Ohio for the team's scrimmage Saturday.

If this was cycling or soccer Josh Gordon would not get penalized because of the B sample and I wonder if this will be the end of it if he doesn't get his suspension overturned.

If this was cycling or soccer Josh Gordon would not get penalized because of the B sample and I wonder if this will be the end of it if he doesn't get his suspension overturned.

If this were any other venue where drug testing is required other than the NFL, there would be no positive test and no looming suspension.

I find it interesting that so many folks are quick to dismiss the second hand smoke argument. Considering that the test only showed barely detectable trace amounts, it is entirely possible that it was caused by second hand smoke. Everyone also continues to overlook the fact that Gordon has passed 70 - that's right SEVENTY - other tests during the time frame of this "positive" test.

I am going to speculate here that his suspension is completely revoked. We will have to see what the DUI charges bring, but until he is convicted in a court of law, the NFL will not be taking action, which makes that a more likely impact for next season.

Edited by BA Baracus

A few more thoughts.

The 70 passed tests is a good sign that he was clean.

The 15 nanogram test limit is very low compared to other (believe I read air traffic controllers is 50ng and Olympic athletes is 150ng).

Not sure what the true threshold is for second hand smoke. I do know that the concept of getting a "contact high" is not wrong, if you're in a small enclosed area with little circulation and lots of smoke it can happen. Here's the thing though, Gordon smoked pot before, he knows what pot smells like, he knows that testing positive could be a huge problem for him, so why hang out with people smoking pot and risk it. (Not talking about the rules, just simple common sense and good judgement).

The A/B samples, agree those rules should change and be like others. Should be some sort of average, or the control sample needs to test over the limit as well. Its clear that if the two bottles were labeled differently he doesn't have a positive test result.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they overturn it. If that happens I hope that Gordon will continue to stay clean and out of other troubles.

As BA said, the DUI and other offenses could result in a suspension, but not until legal process has concluded, under the rules for personal conduct policy. And based on everything I've read that DUI will be plead down since it was very close to the legal limit and a conviction is unlikely. So there won't be any suspension at all.

Here's the thing though, Gordon smoked pot before, he knows what pot smells like, he knows that testing positive could be a huge problem for him, so why hang out with people smoking pot and risk it. (Not talking about the rules, just simple common sense and good judgement).

This.

And even if its overturned..the smart money is on him getting in trouble again , probably before the season is over

I don't understand why it could possibly take as long as 3 weeks, unless they are hoping the passage of time will make the Ray Rice issue die down. THe whole issue doesn't seem to be all that complicated....yay or nay.

pretty much. But there are lawyers involved so the amount of billable hours has to be padded

• Like 2