[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best 2014 Rookie RB as of now

DMD

Best Rookie RB  

1. 1. Which Rookie RB looks like the best bet for 2014 production?

• Bishop Sankey - TEN
    • Jeremy Hill - CIN
    • Carlos Hyde - SF
    • Charles Sims - TB
    • Tre Mason - STL
    • Terance West - CLE

Great discussion and my league doesn't even have a rookie draft. But I'm always looking for good insight on RBs.

The further I get along in my dynasty leagues, the less likely I'll ever get into redrafts again. In fact, I think the only reason I'd do a redraft is if it's a live draft with buddies and beer.

Dynasty and daily leagues... yup.

I don't get all the Hyde love. He has borderline terrible measurables and racked up a lot of his college production running through dump truck sized holes. He looks like another Mark Ingram to me. I suppose any drafted player can be FF relavent if given opportunity, but me as not a buyer on Carlos.

The further I get along in my dynasty leagues, the less likely I'll ever get into redrafts again. In fact, I think the only reason I'd do a redraft is if it's a live draft with buddies and beer.

I only play in one league, a 5 player keeper. Never done redraft or dynasty. Our keeper rules are essentially dynasty though (no limits, no contracts, every team keeps 5 and we draft the balance of roster).

Since we don't have a rookie draft, usually the top ones (especially RB even these days) go in the first round or two. My team has always been WR heavy (last few years Calvin, Fitz and Dem Thomas) so I'm constantly looking for that good RB to round out my starting line-up. A number of years ago I went with Cedric Benson when there were 4 top guys. Since then I've been a little gun shy, and usually need to draft one who will contribute for sure rather than one for the future. Maybe this year is my chance with one of these guys, so I appreciate the detailed analysis I'm getting here.

I only play in one league, a 5 player keeper. Never done redraft or dynasty. Our keeper rules are essentially dynasty though (no limits, no contracts, every team keeps 5 and we draft the balance of roster).

Since we don't have a rookie draft, usually the top ones (especially RB even these days) go in the first round or two. My team has always been WR heavy (last few years Calvin, Fitz and Dem Thomas) so I'm constantly looking for that good RB to round out my starting line-up. A number of years ago I went with Cedric Benson when there were 4 top guys. Since then I've been a little gun shy, and usually need to draft one who will contribute for sure rather than one for the future. Maybe this year is my chance with one of these guys, so I appreciate the detailed analysis I'm getting here.

Given what you describe here Steve, I think Sankey is your guy. He has the best opportunity and, IMO, the best talent in this rookie class. I think that he will be an RB2 this year and has a good shot to be a perennial RB1 going forward.

You are aware that he just needs to beat out a plodding, injury prone piece of $hit in Shonne Green right? Unless you have roster glasses on, not sure as to your S.Green heart thumping here

Meant Sims not Sankey. Sankey is in the best rookie RB position by far.

Given what you describe here Steve, I think Sankey is your guy. He has the best opportunity and, IMO, the best talent in this rookie class. I think that he will be an RB2 this year and has a good shot to be a perennial RB1 going forward.

Thanks BA.

My top 5 to keep are the WR I mention along with Rivers and probably Chris Johnson. Those 3 WR give me an advantage over other teams, Rivers is back to form, and I need a RB (TE, K, D) to round out my starters. Rather than take the more sure scoring available RB in the first I will be looking seriously at rookies.

Sankey looks the part live and on tape. I saw him interviewed and he is composed. I see a lot of Curtis Martin in this kid.

I do not know why Hill receives nary a mention here except in the poll. I had him as the 2nd best rookie RB coming out and in some film, at his very best, he is the most pro-ready. If he wants to be a great pro, he will be a very worthy fantasy back for the next 5 years.

You haven't done Weapons of DMD yet

Sankey looks the part live and on tape. I saw him interviewed and he is composed. I see a lot of Curtis Martin in this kid.

I do not know why Hill receives nary a mention here except in the poll. I had him as the 2nd best rookie RB coming out and in some film, at his very best, he is the most pro-ready. If he wants to be a great pro, he will be a very worthy fantasy back for the next 5 years.

He's competing with Bernard which is not a good thing. If he shines in camp, he should have no problem surpassing Law Firm.

There was a special series, not sure if it was NFLN or ESPN, where they followed Sankey and 4 other prospects (Clowney, Marquis Lee, Bortles and a small school guy - forget his name) around in the weeks before the draft.

What I saw from Sankey's portions of these specials made me a believer. Great character kid, has the work ethic, smart and while the "elite athlete / speed" thing may be lacking, he does everything very well.

There was a special series, not sure if it was NFLN or ESPN, where they followed Sankey and 4 other prospects (Clowney, Marquis Lee, Bortles and a small school guy - forget his name) around in the weeks before the draft.

What I saw from Sankey's portions of these specials made me a believer. Great character kid, has the work ethic, smart and while the "elite athlete / speed" thing may be lacking, he does everything very well.

He may not have elite speed, but he was elite on the short shuttle and 3 cone, which I believe are more predictive for RB success.

He may not have elite speed, but he was elite on the short shuttle and 3 cone, which I believe are more predictive for RB success.

Oh trust me, that point was not to knock him. I mean, the whole 40 time thing is really kind of overrated anyways. When, in the course of a regular football game, does a player run 40 yards all at once?

His 3 cone was impressive. He is a very solid back who could put up RB1/2 numbers this year.

this

Or strippers. I can never say no to live redrafts with buddies, beer, and strippers. Or to live redrafts with strangers, no alcohol, and strippers, for that matter.

He's competing with Bernard which is not a good thing. If he shines in camp, he should have no problem surpassing Law Firm.

The law firm may be released by June 1st altogether because they drafted Hill.

Because the topic is for 2014. Sankey is the choice by a mile because there's no incumbent worth mentioning. Long term this becomes an entirely different conversation - although Sankey is still smack dab in the middle of it, and probably still leading it, others become much more viable candidates to talk about.

While I agree that Sankey is in by far the best situation, I would temper the higher end of expectations for him. You can't question the kid's heart and character, even vision and quickness. But this is a kid that would be walking around at about 170 lbs. if he weren't a football player. And he isn't fast. He'll get comparisons to Emmitt, simply because there isn't a long list of successful backs that are both smallish and slow-ish. He wants it so bad that he won't fail, but I don't know that he has the innate ability to ever become a star in the league. Chris Polk IMO had a game that translates more to the pros than does Sankey's.

I'm bumping this because it jives with the Rotoworld draftnik opinion of him, who dubbed his tape Vick Ballard-like. Blech. Opportunity is great but only goes so far (remember Chris Henry?). I havent seen tape but he's not a sure thing.

I'm bumping this because it jives with the Rotoworld draftnik opinion of him, who dubbed his tape Vick Ballard-like. Blech. Opportunity is great but only goes so far (remember Chris Henry?). I havent seen tape but he's not a sure thing.

Who? Evan Silva?

Sorry, but I'm trusting the opinions of Gil Brandt and Mike Mayock (feel free to Google their respective opinions on the kid) over some dude Rotoworld hires to evaluate talent. Ballard is/was a much heavier, plodding back that had 30 career receptions at Mississippi St. and was drafted in the 5th round (#170). Sankey is a quick-footed, lighter/shiftier back that caught 67, drafted in the 2nd (#54). And for what it's worth, Silva called Sankey "a rich man's Vick Ballard". Maybe that moniker was to claim that Sankey isn't going to wow you with elite speed or flash. But you could say the same about Emmitt Smith or Curtis Martin.

Passing on Sankey in any format based on one "draftnik's" opinion would be an unwise mistake.

Also, forgot to mention... Ballard's 40 time = 4.65 :blink: ... Sankey's = 4.49

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

Trust me, I value Mayock's opinion over anyone's. As a good kid, I hope he succeeds and he has to be the mostly highly rated rookie RB this year. Just pointing out there are varying opinions. In a dynasty, I would say someone is nuts if they take him over Watkins or Evans. That's not a thought that is echoed about elite backs when they come out.

Trust me, I value Mayock's opinion over anyone's. As a good kid, I hope he succeeds and he has to be the mostly highly rated rookie RB this year. Just pointing out there are varying opinions. In a dynasty, I would say someone is nuts if they take him over Watkins or Evans. That's not a thought that is echoed about elite backs when they come out.

I would agree with that. It's now a passing league and freaky WRs like Watkins and Evans are potential superstars. Sankey has all the skills to be a Matt Forte like RB, though. He won't blow you away, but he does everything very well, and will sneak up on you with consistent fantasy production in PPR formats.

I would agree with that. It's now a passing league and freaky WRs like Watkins and Evans are potential superstars. Sankey has all the skills to be a Matt Forte like RB, though. He won't blow you away, but he does everything very well, and will sneak up on you with consistent fantasy production in PPR formats.

If Sankey will have a career as Matt Forte, he definitely deserved to be the No. 1 rookie pick in the dynasty league.

I don't think he is at the same level as Forte, he is not even top 3 in my ranking. He is good for redraft league, since he got the immediate opportunies.

If Sankey will have a career as Matt Forte, he definitely deserved to be the No. 1 rookie pick in the dynasty league.

I don't think he is at the same level as Forte, he is not even top 3 in my ranking. He is good for redraft league, since he got the immediate opportunies.

Why not? Who knew Forte would be such a PPR producer?

Forte ran a 4.46 40 by the way. Something that surprised me, Forte is 6'2". :shocking:

The Titans scout compared Sankey to Tiki Barber (who had many similar measurables).

Everyone's certainly entitled to their opinions on players. That's what makes this hobby so interesting. We'll see how it all pans out :)

Why not? Who knew Forte would be such a PPR producer?

Forte ran a 4.46 40 by the way. Something that surprised me, Forte is 6'2". :shocking:

The Titans scout compared Sankey to Tiki Barber (who had many similar measurables).

Everyone's certainly entitled to their opinions on players. That's what makes this hobby so interesting. We'll see how it all pans out :)

I agree to disagree. In this hobby, you just try to make more correct calls than wrong calls. Among these years rookie RBs, I am more comfortable with Hyde. Of course, I will take Sankey over him in redraft year, but I like Hyde long term.

The one RB I find hard to figure out is Jeremy Hill, I like his physical tools, but I am concerned about his situation and also characters issue. I learned my lesson of Jonathan Stewart. I probably won't have him in any of my rookie draft.