[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best 2014 Rookie RB as of now

DMD

Best Rookie RB  

1. 1. Which Rookie RB looks like the best bet for 2014 production?

• Bishop Sankey - TEN
    • Jeremy Hill - CIN
    • Carlos Hyde - SF
    • Charles Sims - TB
    • Tre Mason - STL
    • Terance West - CLE

Granted much could and no doubt will change by September. But while the RBs took a long time to start, there are some that are in interesting situations and you know at least one or two will have fantasy relevance.

Sankey by a wide margin. He should have little trouble beating out S.Greene for the feature back in Tenn. T.West will make some noise if he can leap frog an injury prone Ben Tate in Cleveland. I do like Hyde as a Dynasty stash to eventually replace Gore. I hate that Tre Mason landed in St.Louis but should have little trouble securing the #2 gig and is a Zack Stacy injury away from being the lead back even when Stacy returns. Hell he might even reduce Stacy's draft status all together.

Sankey by a wide margin. He should have little trouble beating out S.Greene for the feature back in Tenn. T.West will make some noise if he can leap frog an injury prone Ben Tate in Cleveland. I do like Hyde as a Dynasty stash to eventually replace Gore. I hate that Tre Mason landed in St.Louis but should have little trouble securing the #2 gig and is a Zack Stacy injury away from being the lead back even when Stacy returns. Hell he might even reduce Stacy's draft status all together.

+1

Didn't want to post as I'm in a league whose rookie draft had just started... and I was targeting the guy.... it's Sankey by a country mile. Shonn Greene is a plodder at best and just had knee surgery. Sankey is dynamic in the Gio Bernard mold and I think maybe even a bit more suited to handle a larger load than Bernard. Can catch the ball out of the backfield and make big plays. Terrific work ethic.

I think Terrence West would be #2, but he'll have to prove to be better than Ben Tate (AND Isaiah Crowell).

Sankey is in the best position for rookie RB relevance by far, but I've watched a lot of him as he was a Washington Husky and he's going to surprise a lot of people with how good he really is.

Edited by Tripleshot

Sankey first and than West. Sankey is obviously in an ideal spot, however, West just might be as well. Tate has quite the injury history, has always shared the rock and with Gordon done for the year,expect the Browns to be grounding and pounding a lot. There well be enough work for both Tate and West, like there was for Foster and Tate. And if Tate gets hurt, West would be in position to be a stud.

Edited by irish

And Lattimore and Hunter just disappear?

Hunter was never going to be the bellcow back for the Niners. At best he's a change of pace guy.

Lattimore's knee is obviously a HUGE concern. If he's good, well then they have two BEAST backs to vie for the starting job. But since Lattimore has a big-time injury history, why not shore up the position with someone who's also quite talented? Gore is old and running out of gas. The team is pretty solid everywhere, so why not bolster an important position where the next-in-line has injury concerns?

I get the sense that Lattimore is done and the 49ers are not expecting him to ever return to his previous form.Not sure why they are keeping him this long since Lattimore recently said he still was no where near healthy again. And agreed - Hunter was never supposed to be more than a #2.

I would agree, if I had to name the 3rd RB I like it would be Hyde.

Should have been a two part poll. Better for this season or better long term. I still think Hyde will be better long term if for nothing more than the quality of the team he's playing for. Once Gore is out then he will take the majority of the snaps. To be completely honest though, I'm not sure I like any of the RBs for long term success.

Sadly, I have to say Hyde looks to be a huge mid season stud. I can see Gore slowing down and Hyde taking over by week 10. I say sadly because I hvae held onto Lattimore in a dynasty league in hopes he would be healthy. But you do not draft a RB that early if Lattimore was 100%.

I will give an honorable mention (even when he currently has zero votes) to Charles Sims. I think he may be one of the better backs in this draft class and, as a more "complete" back than Doug Martin, could be the #1 guy in TB by midseason.

And for 100% transparency, yes I drafted Sims in a dynasty league.

He was a stud on a bad team (University of Houston) and was solid for WVU.

Sadly, I have to say Hyde looks to be a huge mid season stud. I can see Gore slowing down and Hyde taking over by week 10. I say sadly because I hvae held onto Lattimore in a dynasty league in hopes he would be healthy. But you do not draft a RB that early if Lattimore was 100%.

I have to disagree, They're not going to just put Gore on a shelf and walk away. They're also not going to trust Hyde to a full load this year barring injury. I wouldn't expect anything major from him until at least next season.

• Like 1

I will give an honorable mention (even when he currently has zero votes) to Charles Sims. I think he may be one of the better backs in this draft class and, as a more "complete" back than Doug Martin, could be the #1 guy in TB by midseason.

And for 100% transparency, yes I drafted Sims in a dynasty league.

He was a stud on a bad team (University of Houston) and was solid for WVU.

Your crazy. Martin can and has shown he can do everything. It is going to be extremely tough for Sims to jump ahead of Martin.

Sadly, I will miss out on these guys since I have the 8th pick in the rookie Draft. I'm stout at wr but I may have to go that route

You think? I got Sankey at #6 and Hyde went #9 in a 16-team league of very skilled owners.

WRs comprised 6 of the first 10 picks.

Your crazy. Martin can and has shown he can do everything. It is going to be extremely tough for Sims to jump ahead of Martin.

Really? When has he shown that? I've detailed this before but it bears mentioning again given the circumstances.

Martin had two massive games in his 2012 campaign: weeks 8 (roughly 35 fantasy points) and 9 (roughly 53). In his remaining 14 games played, he scored over 20 only twice!! He was under double digits three times, and was usually in the 12-14 range.

But that's only one piece of the puzzle. Before he got hurt last year, he hadn't topped 12 fantasy points in any contest (six full games). Did he suddenly just stop producing? Nah, what happened was is he was doing what he is capable of. Perhaps he would have had a couple huge games mixed in last year had he not gotten hurt, but throwing him out there as your RB1 and getting 12-13 points per week is going to eventually burn you.

Lastly, we saw what an average back like Mike James or Bobby Rainey could do in that offense given the opportunity. They were just as productive as Martin has been.... with occasional huge games.

Read what the Buc brass are saying about Sims. And remember, it was Schiano's regime that brought Martin in (and Schiano likened Martin to his ex-Rutgers runner Ray Rice).

It's a crowded backfield and Sims could easily get lost in the shuffle, but I'm just saying he's a more complete runner than (and just as accomplished a pass-catcher as) Martin.

You think? I got Sankey at #6 and Hyde went #9 in a 16-team league of very skilled owners.

WRs comprised 6 of the first 10 picks.

Sankey at #6?? That's a steal IMO unless its a start 1 RB league, even so, I see Stankey as a top #3 rookie pick in later rookie drafts.

Edited by tazinib1

Really? When has he shown that? I've detailed this before but it bears mentioning again given the circumstances.

Martin had two massive games in his 2012 campaign: weeks 8 (roughly 35 fantasy points) and 9 (roughly 53). In his remaining 14 games played, he scored over 20 only twice!! He was under double digits three times, and was usually in the 12-14 range.

But that's only one piece of the puzzle. Before he got hurt last year, he hadn't topped 12 fantasy points in any contest (six full games). Did he suddenly just stop producing? Nah, what happened was is he was doing what he is capable of. Perhaps he would have had a couple huge games mixed in last year had he not gotten hurt, but throwing him out there as your RB1 and getting 12-13 points per week is going to eventually burn you.

Lastly, we saw what an average back like Mike James or Bobby Rainey could do in that offense given the opportunity. They were just as productive as Martin has been.... with occasional huge games.

Read what the Buc brass are saying about Sims. And remember, it was Schiano's regime that brought Martin in (and Schiano likened Martin to his ex-Rutgers runner Ray Rice).

It's a crowded backfield and Sims could easily get lost in the shuffle, but I'm just saying he's a more complete runner than (and just as accomplished a pass-catcher as) Martin.

Great points. Don't miss understand me with my comments. I'm not sure where Martin's upside or downside resides. I do think he has some great upside now with a more consistent QB and certainly a better D so the offense doesn't need to throw all the time. I think Sankey has talent and he certainly looked the part in college, but I do think Martin is just scratching the surface of what he can do. So he's had as many huge games as terrible games, sounds like a normal RB. His point total average I have a little higher, more in the 14 to 18 point range which is much closer to RB 1. I know the previous regime brought him in, but being an NFL RB and only having one rookie season to show with good numbers in my opinion gives him the nod well over a rookie. I could miss this, but I don't see Sankey taking over anything unless injury pops up.

You are aware that he just needs to beat out a plodding, injury prone piece of $hit in Shonne Green right? Unless you have roster glasses on, not sure as to your S.Green heart thumping here

Edited by tazinib1
  • Like 1

While I agree that Sankey is in by far the best situation, I would temper the higher end of expectations for him. You can't question the kid's heart and character, even vision and quickness. But this is a kid that would be walking around at about 170 lbs. if he weren't a football player. And he isn't fast. He'll get comparisons to Emmitt, simply because there isn't a long list of successful backs that are both smallish and slow-ish. He wants it so bad that he won't fail, but I don't know that he has the innate ability to ever become a star in the league. Chris Polk IMO had a game that translates more to the pros than does Sankey's.

I got him at 6 in a league where you don't even NEED to start a RB :kicksrock: ... but you can start 3 if you'd like. I have Charles coming up as an RFA next year and could potentially let him walk if Sankey's the real deal.

As for Martin, it's awesome that he has the potential to put up 50+ fantasy points in a week. Hell, if the rest of your team was average that week, he may have won it for you. But there's a chance that you didn't even need those extra points. Me? I would rather my RB1 consistently put up 15-20 points (like the aforementioned Charles) and not 11 one week and 30 or more a couple times a season.

Back to Sankey - I don't think his not being an elite athlete is going to buoy his potential to put up good fantasy numbers.... especially with how the NFL is operating right now. Shonn Greene is a turd who just had knee surgery. I think Sankey comes hot out of the gate and is a solid RB2 with RB1 upside for many years.

Great discussion.... and some interesting RB choices in this rookie crop.