[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best 2014 Rookie RB as of now

DMD

Best Rookie RB  

1. 1. Which Rookie RB looks like the best bet for 2014 production?

• Bishop Sankey - TEN
    • Jeremy Hill - CIN
    • Carlos Hyde - SF
    • Charles Sims - TB
    • Tre Mason - STL
    • Terance West - CLE

I agree to disagree. In this hobby, you just try to make more correct calls than wrong calls. Among these years rookie RBs, I am more comfortable with Hyde. Of course, I will take Sankey over him in redraft year, but I like Hyde long term.

The one RB I find hard to figure out is Jeremy Hill, I like his physical tools, but I am concerned about his situation and also characters issue. I learned my lesson of Jonathan Stewart. I probably won't have him in any of my rookie draft.

Easy now, you're gonna hurt taz's feelings.

• 1 month later...

Surprising Devonta Freeman doesn't get a call here. Good size, good quicks, can catch the ball. S Jax not a bastion of health in his long career. Falcons improved O-line and return to health of Roddy and Julio, should make Atlanta a formitable offense. If this kid gets his chance,could be the best RB in this class.

Surprising Devonta Freeman doesn't get a call here. Good size, good quicks, can catch the ball. S Jax not a bastion of health in his long career. Falcons improved O-line and return to health of Roddy and Julio, should make Atlanta a formitable offense. If this kid gets his chance,could be the best RB in this class.

While I don't disagree with you (own Freeman in a dynasty league and think he can compete for carries right away), this whole "S Jax not a bastion of health" thing is a little overblown.

2009 - 15 games

2010 - 16

2011 - 15

2012 - 16

2013 - 12

That's 6 games missed in 5 years, 4 of which were just last year. Speaking of last year, look at his last 6 weeks. He was pretty beastly.

I know there are folks here that dispel the "something to prove" thing, but if it really is a "thing", I think Jackson would be a prime candidate.

This is a potentially-potent offense and Jackson can catch the ball out of the backfield. Freeman could potentially be the future of the Falcon backfield, but Jackson's supposed health issues aren't going to catapult him into instant action.

• Like 1

So hard to project these rookie RBs, got to assume Sankey is up there purely through lack of competition for carries. The sort of guys you expect to get a lot of work may not and vice versa.

I think Charles Sims in Tampa could be an interesting dynasty PPR play as he was the best pass catching RB in the draft but may struggle for opportunities but Martin and James aren't studs for me.

So hard to project these rookie RBs, got to assume Sankey is up there purely through lack of competition for carries. The sort of guys you expect to get a lot of work may not and vice versa.

I think Charles Sims in Tampa could be an interesting dynasty PPR play as he was the best pass catching RB in the draft but may struggle for opportunities but Martin and James aren't studs for me.

I am a huge Sims guy. I think he may be the most underrated back in this draft top to bottom. He's not just a pass-catcher... although that is definitely his best attribute.

Let's not forget -- Doug Martin was a favorite of the Schiano regime. He reminded Schiano of a guy he coached at Rutgers (Ray Rice). While Martin is the incumbent starter based on tenure, if he slips back into a feast-or-famine type of production, I would expect Sims to get more carries.

I am a huge Sims guy. I think he may be the most underrated back in this draft top to bottom. He's not just a pass-catcher... although that is definitely his best attribute.

Let's not forget -- Doug Martin was a favorite of the Schiano regime. He reminded Schiano of a guy he coached at Rutgers (Ray Rice). While Martin is the incumbent starter based on tenure, if he slips back into a feast-or-famine type of production, I would expect Sims to get more carries.

It's just all a bit up in the air behind Martin as you also have James and Rainey who had some success in the absence of Doug Martin. Long term I love Sims but certainly wouldn't bank on him seeing a huge amount of carries this year if I'm in a re-draft league.

It's just all a bit up in the air behind Martin as you also have James and Rainey who had some success in the absence of Doug Martin. Long term I love Sims but certainly wouldn't bank on him seeing a huge amount of carries this year if I'm in a re-draft league.

Again, Schiano regime. James and Rainey are "just guys" that happened to be in the right place at the right time. This new regime thought enough of Sims to draft him #69 overall, when they already had Martin and the backups in James/Rainey.

And in PPR formats in this day and age of the RBBC, you don't have to get a ton of carries to be fantasy relevant. Just look at Vereen in New England or Woodhead in San Diego.

Again, Schiano regime. James and Rainey are "just guys" that happened to be in the right place at the right time. This new regime thought enough of Sims to draft him #69 overall, when they already had Martin and the backups in James/Rainey.

And in PPR formats in this day and age of the RBBC, you don't have to get a ton of carries to be fantasy relevant. Just look at Vereen in New England or Woodhead in San Diego.

Certainly hope you're right as Sims is one of my favourite RBs from this draft (along with Hill if he can get himself together off the field).

Really? When has he shown that? I've detailed this before but it bears mentioning again given the circumstances.

Martin had two massive games in his 2012 campaign: weeks 8 (roughly 35 fantasy points) and 9 (roughly 53). In his remaining 14 games played, he scored over 20 only twice!! He was under double digits three times, and was usually in the 12-14 range.

But that's only one piece of the puzzle. Before he got hurt last year, he hadn't topped 12 fantasy points in any contest (six full games). Did he suddenly just stop producing? Nah, what happened was is he was doing what he is capable of. Perhaps he would have had a couple huge games mixed in last year had he not gotten hurt, but throwing him out there as your RB1 and getting 12-13 points per week is going to eventually burn you.

Lastly, we saw what an average back like Mike James or Bobby Rainey could do in that offense given the opportunity. They were just as productive as Martin has been.... with occasional huge games.

Read what the Buc brass are saying about Sims. And remember, it was Schiano's regime that brought Martin in (and Schiano likened Martin to his ex-Rutgers runner Ray Rice).

It's a crowded backfield and Sims could easily get lost in the shuffle, but I'm just saying he's a more complete runner than (and just as accomplished a pass-catcher as) Martin.

THIS.

Terrence West put on NFI list for failing conditioning tests. http://www.ohio.com/...y-list-1.507103

Just an FYI, the web site for Akron Beacon Journal is now a pay site so some may not be able to read the article. You get something like 7 articles free then will need to suscribe to read more, not sure if that ever resets. I've stopped reading them much there (exhaused my free 7 quickly) and get most of my Browns news from the Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/) which has the same story featured today.

• 4 months later...

Saw something today that Browns are the only team with 2 rookie RB with over 500 yards each.

The numbers they showed for Mason last night were pretty impressive, probably a good shot at 800 yards. Who saw that coming (Zac Stacy was the projected season starter with 1000+ yards).