[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What the hell is going on with CB contracts?

CaptainHook

No way these guys are worth this kind of money.

Joe Haden - 5 years $68 million with $23 million fully guaranteed? $45 million in bonuses?

Richard Sherman - 4 years $57.4 million? $40 million in bonuses?

Patrick Peterson is next . . .

Makes Vontae Davis' 4 year $39 million with $20 million in bonuses look like a bargain.

I don't get it. These guys are cornerbacks. No way do I pay that for ANY corner.

In case you didn't notice, the NFL is pretty darn pass-happy. These guys are able to shut down the best of the best in terms of WRs.

Not saying you pay them like WRs, but if they're able to neutralize some of the game's best pass-catchers, why not compensate them accordingly?

• Like 2

But they ARE being paid like WR's . . . hell . . . like QB's!! I've seen Vontae Davis be a lock down CB one game (vs Denver) and struggle the next. TY Hilton ate Richard Sherman for lunch. Shelf life for a top CB does not seem very long and these guys will be WAY overpaid in two years. Book it.

For reference see Revis, Darrelle and Asomugha, Nnamdi . . .

You raise good points. Too lazy to look it up, but weren't those cats signed to big deals later in their careers? Haden and Sherman are young bucks that will be up in WRs grills for many years.

CB does seem to be a volatile position in terms of game to game performance. I saw an article over at PFF recently about "shutdown" corners. There are only a few in the league who take on the opposing WR1 on a regular basis. I will have to go take a look again, but I think it is rare for any CB to cover the WR1 more than 50% of the time.

It seems like coverage is better executed with a basket of "good enough" guys in the right scheme than with some superstar shutdown guy in man to man. I would think that teams are better off spending the superstar money on pass rushers that leave their secondary less exposed.

TY Hilton ate Richard Sherman for lunch.

TY Hilton did have a good day against Sherman, but when you compare it to the 18 other games Sherman played last season against teams not called the Colts; that game was the definition of a statistical anomaly. He was thrown to less than any CB in the league, had more INTs than any CB and gave up something like 0.7 YAC to the guy who caught on him. QBs started straight up avoiding Sherman and when they didn't, bad things almost always happened (ie.e...the infamous throw to Crabtree in the NFC championship).

This is a copycat league. Seattle was the best team in the NFL, largely on the strength of their DBs. Other teams are signing their backup corners for 5+ million a year and everyone is looking for the next elite CB.