[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Minnesota wins SB LII Bid. The Big Show coming in 2018

tazinib1

F'n NFL... "You build it & we will come." From what I've read, New Orleans blew away everyone else with their proposal, but Minneapolis got it anyway because of their shiny new toy. The Superbowl would have been held in conjunction with both Mardi Gras & the city's Tricentennial. How do you beat that kind of international visibility? Soak the taxpayers to fund your new stadium, that's how. :tdown:

F'n NFL... "You build it & we will come." From what I've read, New Orleans blew away everyone else with their proposal, but Minneapolis got it anyway because of their shiny new toy. The Superbowl would have been held in conjunction with both Mardi Gras & the city's Tricentennial. How do you beat that kind of international visibility? Soak the taxpayers to fund your new stadium, that's how. :tdown:

It's hard to beat a city that has hosted 10 SB's coupled with Mardi Gras and the TriCentennial. But yeah, "Build it and they will come" is pretty spot on accurate.

I think its just cause the NFL hates the Saints

Minnesota wins SB LII Bid. The Big Snow coming in 2018

fixed but hey, at least they'll be inside

The game will be inside, what about all the other festivities that go along with the Superbowl? The whole "Superbowl experience" tha tthe NFL is selling now? Historical average for Minnesota in February is between 26 & 10 degrees. This year it was 14 dergrees the day of & onlt 4 degrees a couple of days after. That may be normal for locals, but when you have people trying to fly or even drive in to see a game in those kind of conditions then you are just asking for trouble. Not to mention the amount of revenue the city would be shelling out to set up such an event with practically nothing coming back in because nobody wants to get out in that crap. If they end up having to postpone the Superbowl one year because of a winter storm, there's going to be another kind of storm rolling through the NFL.

The game will be inside, what about all the other festivities that go along with the Superbowl? The whole "Superbowl experience" tha tthe NFL is selling now? Historical average for Minnesota in February is between 26 & 10 degrees. This year it was 14 dergrees the day of & onlt 4 degrees a couple of days after. That may be normal for locals, but when you have people trying to fly or even drive in to see a game in those kind of conditions then you are just asking for trouble. Not to mention the amount of revenue the city would be shelling out to set up such an event with practically nothing coming back in because nobody wants to get out in that crap. If they end up having to postpone the Superbowl one year because of a winter storm, there's going to be another kind of storm rolling through the NFL.

The entire downtown area is connected by indoor skyways and the skyway system feeds into the new stadium. Hotels, restaurants, bars, everything is connected. Not saying it's a better (or even comparable) option than/to New Orleans, but weather won't be a huge factor, both in the game and in the festivities leading up to the game.

Trust me, I have experience in both cities. As much as I loathe it here, the city is well-equipped to handle the event and will probably do as good if not better than Indianapolis.

Edited by darin3

Forget comparisons to New Orleans: this is a lame idea all on its own.

Nothing against the Twin Cities - I've always had great times there in the summer - but if you make plans to attend an event like the Super Bowl it would be really nice to be able to go outside. I understand all the connecting tunnels but we're not gerbils.

Just another money grab and it's too bad. Peace and Love to all the Minnesotans but the ones I know don't want to live there in the winter either.

Edited by stethant

Forget comparisons to New Orleans: this is a lame idea all on its own.

Nothing against the Twin Cities - I've always had great times there in the summer - but if you make plans to attend an event like the Super Bowl it would be really nice to be able to go outside. I understand all the connecting tunnels but we're not gerbils.

Just another money grab and it's too bad. Peace and Love to all the Minnesotans but the ones I know don't want to live there in the winter either.

I just wonder what they are going to do if the airport is shut down. I realize the game can still go on, but say you've purchased a ticket to the game along with a flight, hotel & car rental. If the airport is shut down do they plan to reschedule the game? If you've already made all those plans and purchased your tickets then the game gets rescheduled & you can no longer make it then are you just out of luck?

As much as I typically loathe Peter King, he hit the nail on the head as to why it should have been in New Orleans. #3 is just insane on the part of the NFL.

3. New Orleans has one of the best Super Bowl perks in memory planned for its presentation today. The league has been vocal in its support for a safety program at the youth level called “Heads Up Football.” And if New Orleans gets the game in 2018, the local hosts will build a multi-million-dollar Heads Up Football complex adjacent to the Saints’ training complex and offices in suburban Metairie, with four football fields and a complex that would be used, in part, to teach coaches and players safe methods of tackling and playing football. Very smart move by the New Orleanians. Often, Super Bowl host committees do something overly nice for the 31 other owners in the league. But this magnanimous gesture hits the NFL just where Roger Goodell would want: in its future.
Edited by rajncajn

I just wonder what they are going to do if the airport is shut down. I realize the game can still go on, but say you've purchased a ticket to the game along with a flight, hotel & car rental. If the airport is shut down do they plan to reschedule the game? If you've already made all those plans and purchased your tickets then the game gets rescheduled & you can no longer make it then are you just out of luck?

As much as I typically loathe Peter King, he hit the nail on the head as to why it should have been in New Orleans. #3 is just insane on the part of the NFL.

Far be it from me to defend this hellhole, but I've been here for 2 years now (and fortunate to have experienced 2 of the worst winters ever according to locals) and I can't think of one time where the airport was "shut down" due to weather.

I suppose there could be delays and such, but the same argument could have been made for last year's Super Bowl. Were you equally outraged when NYC was selected? Or was New Orleans not in the running last year? :thinking:

Again, comparing Minneapolis to New Orleans in terms of hostability is insane... in fact comparing any city to New Orleans for that purpose is probably going to result in New Orleans still winning out, but come on.... tri-centennial or not, it can't host EVERY season. Give some other venues an opportunity to host and reap the benefits of the circus coming to town.

• Like 1

Far be it from me to defend this hellhole, but I've been here for 2 years now (and fortunate to have experienced 2 of the worst winters ever according to locals) and I can't think of one time where the airport was "shut down" due to weather.

I suppose there could be delays and such, but the same argument could have been made for last year's Super Bowl. Were you equally outraged when NYC was selected? Or was New Orleans not in the running last year? :thinking:

Again, comparing Minneapolis to New Orleans in terms of hostability is insane... in fact comparing any city to New Orleans for that purpose is probably going to result in New Orleans still winning out, but come on.... tri-centennial or not, it can't host EVERY season. Give some other venues an opportunity to host and reap the benefits of the circus coming to town.

Yeah, I think youi can go back and search when we were discussing the idea of a cold weather Superbowl my opinion on it was pretty much the same, It's idiotic. Regardless, what is your point? Of course i'm going to have more interest and more to say about it when New Orleans is involved. What difference does that make? Is that supposed to mean that my opinion matters less?

Was I outraged when NY was announced? I certainly wouldn't classify it as that. Am I outraged now? Not really. Just a bit irritated that the NFL is obviously using this as a means to get taxpayers to foot the bill for new stadiums. As for letting someone else host... read the rest of the article.

me & my wagering wallet does :rolleyes: lets keep it where the snow won't be falling or a dome

Me and my television screen don't care about you or your wagering wallet either :wink:

Yeah, I think youi can go back and search when we were discussing the idea of a cold weather Superbowl my opinion on it was pretty much the same, It's idiotic. Regardless, what is your point? Of course i'm going to have more interest and more to say about it when New Orleans is involved. What difference does that make? Is that supposed to mean that my opinion matters less?

Was I outraged when NY was announced? I certainly wouldn't classify it as that. Am I outraged now? Not really. Just a bit irritated that the NFL is obviously using this as a means to get taxpayers to foot the bill for new stadiums. As for letting someone else host... read the rest of the article.

:thinking: Funny, a total of zero of your posts in this thread mention anything about this. I don't disagree with you, but your stance thus far painted a different picture.

And again, as an outsider with abundant experience in both locales, New Orleans is by far the more superior location to host a Super Bowl.

:thinking: Funny, a total of zero of your posts in this thread mention anything about this. I don't disagree with you, but your stance thus far painted a different picture.

You mean like the very first post I made in this thread? What are you reading? :shrug:

How do you beat that kind of international visibility? Soak the taxpayers to fund your new stadium, that's how. :tdown:

Edited by rajncajn

You mean like the very first post I made in this thread? What are you reading? :shrug:

:bag: Glossed over that one, sorry. Honestly, you should have continued to hit on that point because it's the far more salient one. It's BS that the NFL is essentially holding this over the head of potentially good hosts... and by domino effect its constituents.

That all said, the weather angle just doesn't have legs in my opinion. From what I've heard, NYC was a good host despite things being spread out and generally difficult to get to. Indianapolis was regarded as a success. In comparison, the "good weather" city of Houston hosted a few years back and it was a disaster.

:bag: Glossed over that one, sorry. Honestly, you should have continued to hit on that point because it's the far more salient one. It's BS that the NFL is essentially holding this over the head of potentially good hosts... and by domino effect its constituents.

That all said, the weather angle just doesn't have legs in my opinion. From what I've heard, NYC was a good host despite things being spread out and generally difficult to get to. Indianapolis was regarded as a success. In comparison, the "good weather" city of Houston hosted a few years back and it was a disaster.

The weather was just where the discussion went. But I do believe it is an improtant factor. IMO it is only a matter of time before it makes a major impact on the game, which (no pun intended) will have a huge snowball effect.

The weather was just where the discussion went. But I do believe it is an improtant factor. IMO it is only a matter of time before it makes a major impact on the game, which (no pun intended) will have a huge snowball effect.

It's completely possible.

I hope the Vikings somehow make the playoffs in the next two years and get to host a game at TCF Field. It could be downright nasty.

I still want to go to a Bears game in the winter time with a flask of whiskey all bundled up like Han Solo on Hoth. I could see myself having to put taz in a dead Taun Taun.

I still want to go to a Bears game in the winter time with a flask of whiskey all bundled up like Han Solo on Hoth. I could see myself having to put taz in a dead Taun Taun.

at least he'll smell better after

It's completely possible.

I hope the Vikings somehow make the playoffs in the next two years and get to host a game at TCF Field. It could be downright nasty.

Now just imagine you've dropped a cool $10,000 on a Superbowl package for you and the Mrs to see your team play in the big game only to have the game postponed for a week due to the weather & now you are unable to go on the new date. Or, the hotel you were supposed to stay at doesn't have reservations open for the new date so you're spending all that jack for a 2nd rate hotel somewhere outside the area where everything is going on. Or the additional events that your package pays for your access to are no longer being held because of scheduling conflicts with other events. The potential for problems is mind-numbing. :wacko: