[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Minnesota wins SB LII Bid. The Big Show coming in 2018

tazinib1

Now just imagine you've dropped a cool $10,000on a Superbowl package for you and the Mrs to see your team play in the big game only to have the game postponed for a week due to the weather & now you are unable to go on the new date. Or, the hotel you were supposed to stay at doesn't have reservations open for the new date so you're spending all that jack for a 2nd rate hotel somewhere outside the area where everything is going on. Or the additional events that your package pays for your access to are no longer being held because of scheduling conflicts with other events. The potential for problems is mind-numbing. :wacko:

A - They won't reschedule it.

B - If you drop 10 grand on that package, in the middle of winter in Minnesota, and don't have a backout plan, that's on you, not the NFL.

C - There are dozens of airports within an 8 hour drive. If someone is hellbent on getting to the game, they will get there.

A - They won't reschedule it.

B - If you drop 10 grand on that package, in the middle of winter in Minnesota, and don't have a backout plan, that's on you, not the NFL.

C - There are dozens of airports within an 8 hour drive. If someone is hellbent on getting to the game, they will get there.

A- Wasn't that the backup plan for the Superbowl in New York?

B- Exactly the point, who's going to want to spend that kind of money if there is a chance that they won't be able to go & if the weather does become a factor then how many retailers are going to suffer because of it. As I said, a huge snowball effect.

C- Maybe John Candy will come to the rescue...

This always seems a little overblown when its somewhere that snows. Obviously a blizzard would cause problems, just like ice caused issues in Dallas, or a tropical storm would cause problems in Miami, or drought conditions could cause a hazardous situation in San Diego. What you going to do?

This always seems a little overblown when its somewhere that snows. Obviously a blizzard would cause problems, just like ice caused issues in Dallas, or a tropical storm would cause problems in Miami, or drought conditions could cause a hazardous situation in San Diego. What you going to do?

The Colts/Bears Super Bowl in Miami in a downpour was pretty lousy.

Weather can suck anywhere, NYC/Jersey, Dallas, Indy, Detroit, Florida. No doubt the NFL is telling cities "build a new stadium and you move up the pecking order for a SB." When did they last have one in the bay area? (Almost 30 years ago, Standord in 85.) There's been 3 in SD (2 in Pasadena) and 3 in NO since then. Surely the weather om SF is better than NYC, IND and DET? But now they've built a new stadium and will get one. Hell MIN hosted since SF last had one.

When did they last have one in New Orleans, hmm just a couple years ago after the Superdome had been renovated post Katrina.

I'm not sure if rajn thinks the NFL is sending New Orleans a message with this decision to "build a new stadium or no SB", I doubt that. If they make proposals for the upcoming years and other new stadiums are not built that have good proposals they'll get another one. Its not like they haven't hosted their share over the years.

Sorry, not buying the "I'm not outraged, just think MIN is a bad spot because of horrible weather" bit. If NO wasn't in the running he'd be far less bothered and post a lot less.

BTW, I'm waiting for the NFL to have another outdoor SB in cold weather climate, new stadium or not. Then at least I'll feel like they were just giving NY/NJ special treatment. Of course somebody has to build that new outdoor stadium and have the amenities (hotels, etc.) and make a bid. I think most cities outside NY won't even bother because they know, the NFL won't bite.

• Like 1

Weather can suck anywhere, NYC/Jersey, Dallas, Indy, Detroit, Florida. No doubt the NFL is telling cities "build a new stadium and you move up the pecking order for a SB." When did they last have one in the bay area? (Almost 30 years ago, Standord in 85.) There's been 3 in SD (2 in Pasadena) and 3 in NO since then. Surely the weather om SF is better than NYC, IND and DET? But now they've built a new stadium and will get one. Hell MIN hosted since SF last had one.

When did they last have one in New Orleans, hmm just a couple years ago after the Superdome had been renovated post Katrina.

I'm not sure if rajn thinks the NFL is sending New Orleans a message with this decision to "build a new stadium or no SB", I doubt that. If they make proposals for the upcoming years and other new stadiums are not built that have good proposals they'll get another one. Its not like they haven't hosted their share over the years.

Sorry, not buying the "I'm not outraged, just think MIN is a bad spot because of horrible weather" bit. If NO wasn't in the running he'd be far less bothered and post a lot less.

BTW, I'm waiting for the NFL to have another outdoor SB in cold weather climate, new stadium or not. Then at least I'll feel like they were just giving NY/NJ special treatment. Of course somebody has to build that new outdoor stadium and have the amenities (hotels, etc.) and make a bid. I think most cities outside NY won't even bother because they know, the NFL won't bite.

for once I agree with you :clap:

Have some of the posts here implied that the weather could impact the actual game or am I just inferring that? Isn't the Vike's new stadium a retractable roof type - so basically a dome?

Have some of the posts here implied that the weather could impact the actual game or am I just inferring that? Isn't the Vike's new stadium a retractable roof type - so basically a dome?

Actually a fixed roof.

I'm not sure if rajn thinks the NFL is sending New Orleans a message with this decision to "build a new stadium or no SB", I doubt that. Of course not, but I'm soooo happy that you even suggested it. I surely don't get that enough around here. :rolleyes: If they make proposals for the upcoming years and other new stadiums are not built that have good proposals they'll get another one. Its not like they haven't hosted their share over the years.

Wow, that's brilliant f'n detective work there Sherlock, especially since I just said:

Of course i'm going to have more interest and more to say about it when New Orleans is involved. What difference does that make? Is that supposed to mean that my opinion matters less?

Well, maybe if you'd actually read what I'd had to say then you would have seen this as well:

F'n NFL... "You build it & we will come." From what I've read, New Orleans blew away everyone else with their proposal, but Minneapolis got it anyway because of their shiny new toy. The Superbowl would have been held in conjunction with both Mardi Gras & the city's Tricentennial. How do you beat that kind of international visibility? Soak the taxpayers to fund your new stadium, that's how. :tdown:

Or maybe you would have seen this:

Was I outraged when NY was announced? I certainly wouldn't classify it as that. Am I outraged now? Not really. Just a bit irritated that the NFL is obviously using this as a means to get taxpayers to foot the bill for new stadiums. As for letting someone else host... read the rest of the article.

And the rest of the article I was referring to...

5. Indianapolis and Minneapolis are both worthy, but there’s no special significance to either getting the game in 2018. The lineup for future Super Bowls could easily be this: 2015 Arizona, 2016 San Francisco, 2017 Houston (all already awarded), and then 2018 New Orleans, 2019 Minneapolis, 2020 Indianapolis, 2021 San Diego if San Diego ever gets its stadium act together. Sounds right to me. Indianapolis and its compact and walkable downtown was a perfect host two-and-a-half years ago. Minneapolis gets a game by virtue of the northern-city-with-a-new-domed-stadium rule. But not in front of New Orleans.

As I said in the beginning, I completely agree with King's article. So I have no real beef with a cold weather city getting a Superbowl. I just think that logistically it is a potential nightmare & if I were wanting to attend, one I would have to pass given the possibilities and I imagine that there are a large number of people and/or businesses that feel the same way. That possible situation is doing neither the NFL, not the hosting cities any favors. A few years back when New Orleans hosted their last Superbowl there was this huge debate on whether it was worth it or not because there is such a huge cost to the hosting city. In the end it was proven that the revenues generated as a result outweighed the cost. Well, I'm no economist, but I would have to imagine that if you have a situation that is prohibiting people from getting out into the city or possibly even getting to the city at all, then you don't have that revenue coming in and the Superbowl becomes a huge albatross around the taxpayers neck.

The point is, the NFL has just sent a big message to all of the other teams. It doesn't matter how better suited you are and how many more reasons you have to get the Superbowl. If you can get your local govt to fund a new stadium for us then you will get the game. To me, that's just BS.

Edited by rajncajn

Actually a fixed roof.

So the weather is actually a non-issue. Detroit has hosted some Super Bowls. The Jersey Bowl was stupid because it placed the game at risk. If it's going to be in a northern city, it should be in a dome.

So the weather is actually a non-issue. Detroit has hosted some Super Bowls. The Jersey Bowl was stupid because it placed the game at risk. If it's going to be in a northern city, it should be in a dome.

Yeah, I agree with this, though I still think it's not the greatest of ideas. I liked the suggestion of rotating the Superbowl between the warm weather cities & rotating the draft between the cold. That way each would have a chance to host a major NFL event. I just think that in this particular case that New Orleans made much more sense and I'm disappointed at the reason they did not get it.

I agree that the Big Easy would have been a better location, especially given the coincident events and the strength of the proposal. The No Fun League is certainly etching its position in stone that it's all about the Benjamin's.

rajn,

I didn't have the time or desire to read King's article. So NO has their tricentenial, why does it also need the SB that year? Mardi Gras can stand on its own too went about 15 years ago and enjoyed it. Maybe the NFL didn't want to be part of a 3 ring circus.

Sorry that you feel slighted by this decision. Nd the bit about rotating the site of the SB in warm weather and the draft in cold weather cities is a joke as those 2 events are not even close in their exposureand prestige. But hey as long as those cities with great weather get the SB it's all good.

You've got an axe to grind with the NFL and any slight (real or perceived) has you lashing out.

rajn,

I didn't have the time or desire to read King's article. So NO has their tricentenial, why does it also need the SB that year? Mardi Gras can stand on its own too went about 15 years ago and enjoyed it. Maybe the NFL didn't want to be part of a 3 ring circus.

Sorry that you feel slighted by this decision. Nd the bit about rotating the site of the SB in warm weather and the draft in cold weather cities is a joke as those 2 events are not even close in their exposureand prestige. But hey as long as those cities with great weather get the SB it's all good.

You've got an axe to grind with the NFL and any slight (real or perceived) has you lashing out.

Until you can bother yourself to actually read what someone has to say rather than commenting based on some preconceived notion, I don’t have the time or desire to engage in any kind of discussion with you.

Edited by rajncajn

rajin . . . . . I drove to the Superbowl in DALLAS from the Chicago area with Green Bay and Pittsburgh playing. Hours of driving through a snow storm and ice storm, where states like Oklahoma thought it was the end of the world and could not begin to handle it. Dallas Texas had an ice storm and several people died with ice falling off of Texas Stadium. We were walking through snow and slush to get to the NFL fan experience center in Dallas and the ESPN area in Fort Worth. We somehow survived. Minnesota actually has experience dealing with ice and snow, so they are much much better equipped to deal with weather than some other cities that are inherently unprepared. But to not schedule a super bowl "because it might snow" is ludicrous. What if there was a tropical storm/hurricane if New Orleans hosted and it affected travel plans? Same "potential"? Now for the outdoor fan experience and from some of the surrounding festivities potentially suffering I could maaaybe see your point. But those are secondary to the NFL granting a large economic windfall to a city that helped pony up cash for a new stadium to keep the team there viable. I would not be surprised if gettinga super bowl within "x" years for a new public stadium wasn't in the financing package from the cities. :shrug:

• Like 1

rajin . . . . . I drove to the Superbowl in DALLAS from the Chicago area with Green Bay and Pittsburgh playing. Hours of driving through a snow storm and ice storm, where states like Oklahoma thought it was the end of the world and could not begin to handle it. Dallas Texas had an ice storm and several people died with ice falling off of Texas Stadium. We were walking through snow and slush to get to the NFL fan experience center in Dallas and the ESPN area in Fort Worth. We somehow survived. Minnesota actually has experience dealing with ice and snow, so they are much much better equipped to deal with weather than some other cities that are inherently unprepared. But to not schedule a super bowl "because it might snow" is ludicrous. What if there was a tropical storm/hurricane if New Orleans hosted and it affected travel plans? Same "potential"? Now for the outdoor fan experience and from some of the surrounding festivities potentially suffering I could maaaybe see your point. But those are secondary to the NFL granting a large economic windfall to a city that helped pony up cash for a new stadium to keep the team there viable. I would not be surprised if gettinga super bowl within "x" years for a new public stadium wasn't in the financing package from the cities. :shrug:

The bolded parts are kinda the point that I was trying to make concerning cold venues. The majority of the country is not used to dealing with those kind of conditions, so I would imagine that it would affect participation & subsequently revenues. Maybe I'm completely off base with that. I just know that if I had a choice of either attending a 2018 Superbowl in a warm weather area and a 2019 Superbowl in a cold weather area then I would choose the warm 99.9% of the time barring my team actually playing in it. Even if I did, then I likely wouldn't be spending near as much time out & about spending dollars and that is where the economic windfall you are referring to comes from. The influx of people coming into the city spending money. If you don't have that then the cost far outweighs the benefit to the city. Not sure why you're putting quotes around "it might snow" becuse I never said anything of the sort. Having the game set during a winter storm in single-digit temperatures is just a tad different than just a little snow. There's really no sense in exaggerating to make your point, I do get it. Like i said, I very well could be off base about it, I can only speak to how I would feel if I were planning to go to the game. As for a hurricane in New Orleans, that's pretty much an impossibility in February.

Again though, you all keep wanting to focus on the fact that I don't like the idea of cold weather venues and that has a lot less to do with why this decision got under my skin than you're making it out to be. Maybe I fueled that a bit in delving into that discussion, but it's actually much more about the owners way of getting the people to fund their new stadiums, with tactics such as this and the threats of relocating their teams (both of which now have been used with the Saints). As I've said before, I thought that there were many more reasons to have it in NO that year & that they were more deserving, especially considering that Minneapolis could have it the next year and I'm just dissappointed that the NFL chose to overlook a great opportunity for those alterior motives.

People going to attend a SB and staying several days in the city will generate tons of revenue for area business regardless of weather. You're out of town, at a hotel, dining out, going to bars, clubs, and other entertainment venues. Sure it is winter and you cannot spend a lot of time outdoors, but that was true in NY, IND and DET as well. People are not going golfing in MIN during February. But they still have to eat and will spend money.

Are the number of visitors to a city less for a SB becuase of the cold weather, I have no idea. I guess I figure most who go for pleasure are there to see the game. Then there is the media presence. Unless there are significant other large numbers just going to "hang out" while the SB is in town and experience things other than the game I don't see that it matters.

If the NFL and the Saints ownership is squeezing the people of NO for a new stadium that is a shame, especially with all the money spent to renovate it after Katrina. May as well have torn it down played at a college stadium for a few years and built a new one then. I'm sure they'll still have another SB in the Superdome (or whatever corporate name). It won't be during the tricentenial or maybe even Mardi Gras, but those are the breaks when there are multiple bids and your was not seen as the best

PS Cleveland is trying to get one of the presidential conventions in 2016, they are now in the top 4 for GOP (Dallas, Denver, KC). I'm pretty sure they won't get it, Dallas and Denver are bigger, more metropolitan and such. Cleveland is still seen as The Mistake on the Lake by many,

Drought conditions in San Diego??? HuH??? The entire state of California is in a drought...San Diego being the least city affected :lol:

I went to the last Super Bowl in Minneapolis and we had a great time inside and out. It was cold for sure but they had several cold weather things going on.

Shorts and tee shirts would be better I'd agree.

Some of the friendliest people I've ever met working in and around the Super Bowl.

We also had an awesome unannounced visit to the set of Mystery Science Theater 3000 were one the crew showed us around for hours.

I think we hit up a casino in the area but I might be fuzzy on that.

It was one of the best trips I've ever had save one thing.