[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First four rounds of a May 21st draft

DMD

This was a draft for a magazine and I was surprised that WR went so early since it was not PPR. But it was a 22 round draft best ball and starts 3 WR. I picked 5th and took the safer pick of Lynch. Not sure what I would do with the 6th pick.

1.01 RB Jamaal Charles

1.02 RB Adrian Peterson

1.03 RB LeSean McCoy

1.04 RB Matt Forte

1.05 RB Marshawn Lynch

1.06 WR Calvin Johnson

1.07 RB Eddie Lacy

1.08 WR Demaryius Thomas

1.09 QB Peyton Manning

1.10 WR Dez Bryant

1.11 RB Le'Veon Bell

1.12 RB Montee Ball

2.01 RB Doug Martin

2.02 WR A.J. Green

2.03 TE Jimmy Graham

2.04 WR Julio Jones

2.05 RB Alfred Morris

2.06 WR Alshon Jeffery

2.07 RB DeMarco Murray

2.08 RB Arian Foster

2.09 WR Jordy Nelson

2.10 RB Zac Stacy

2.11 WR Brandon Marshall

2.12 RB Giovani Bernard

3.01 WR Antonio Brown

3.02 WR Keenan Allen

3.03 QB Drew Brees

3.04 QB Aaron Rodgers

3.05 WR Randall Cobb

3.06 RB Ryan Mathews

3.07 TE Julius Thomas

3.08 RB C.J. Spiller

3.09 RB Reggie Bush

3.10 WR Vincent Jackson

3.11 WR Larry Fitzgerald

3.12 WR Pierre Garcon

4.01 WR Victor Cruz

4.02 QB Andrew Luck

4.03 WR Michael Crabtree

4.04 TE Rob Gronkowski

4.05 WR Andre Johnson

4.06 RB Bishop Sankey

4.07 WR Wes Welker

4.08 QB Matthew Stafford

4.09 RB Andre Ellington

4.10 WR DeSean Jackson

4.11 WR Torrey Smith

4.12 RB Chris Johnson

I'll agree they are riskier picks though I took Lynch as a safe choice instead of Lacey or Ball or Bell. I missed by one pick taking Matt Forte and Aaron Rodgers in the early rounds. This is what I ended up with:

QB

Matthew Stafford

Philip Rivers

Carson Palmer

RB

Marshawn Lynch

Arian Foster

Toby Gerhart

Jeremy Hill

Donald Brown

Robert Turbin

WR

Randall Cobb

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Wallace

James Jones

Lance Moore

Davante Adams

TE

Dennis Pitta

Jared Cook

Jermichael Finley

D/ST

49ers

Bengals

K

Mason Crosby

Greg Zuerlein

With best ball, you get points from the best QB-2RB-3WR-TE-PK-DEF. I did not get any players #1 in his position but I think these will all combine for a solid score weekly at least. With no PPR, QBs score the best so I got three I liked. RBs score well but you only start 2.

Ball is just screeming up the ADP ranks. I remain unconvinced that Denver is just going to hand over the reigns like that. I am guessing that Ball will end up disappointing a lot of his owners this year. I like him as an RB2, but taking him in the first round is way overpaying.

Ball is just screeming up the ADP ranks. I remain unconvinced that Denver is just going to hand over the reigns like that. I am guessing that Ball will end up disappointing a lot of his owners this year. I like him as an RB2, but taking him in the first round is way overpaying.

That was my very first thought, and agree with all you've said. Moreno was RB4 in PPR formats last year but that was WAYYY better than anyone's expectations. Maybe these folks expect Ball to step in and do exactly what Moreno did. I find that terribly hard to believe.

Well what are they going to do then? They drafted no RB's, they signed no RB's in FA, what's left? The UDFA's they signed? Moar Hillman? I get that he may not be the next Marshall Faulk, but someone has to get the time. His pass blocking improved, his receiving improved, he's always had a nose for the end-zone in goal-to-go, and he's got a full year in the system and another full offseason to get more work. I can't see any reason not to like him as RB8/9. Now what might be crazy is taking RB8/9 over Green, Graham, Julio, etc, but that's always been the case.

Well what are they going to do then? They drafted no RB's, they signed no RB's in FA, what's left? The UDFA's they signed? Moar Hillman? I get that he may not be the next Marshall Faulk, but someone has to get the time. His pass blocking improved, his receiving improved, he's always had a nose for the end-zone in goal-to-go, and he's got a full year in the system and another full offseason to get more work. I can't see any reason not to like him as RB8/9. Now what might be crazy is taking RB8/9 over Green, Graham, Julio, etc, but that's always been the case.

That's partly my point - that the WR's should be drafted ahead of Ball. I would take him at the end of the group that includes Murray, Bell, Martin, and Stacy, so yeah, RB9ish sounds reasonable.

I wouldn't count out CJ Anderson from getting some action and we signed 4 UDFA's after the draft. Until we see the action in camp and the preseason games, I will just assign a lot of situation risk to him.

I think that the main thing that made Moreno so good was that he never left the field, which was due almost entirely to his pass protection and the fact that he never fumbled. If Ball can do those two things, he will have a top 5 season. I just have not seen enough of him to be convinced that he can do either for 16 weeks. Personally, I am nervous about our backfield this year.

Edited by BA Baracus

Here is the thing about Ball - who I like quite a bit.

The Broncos ranked #7 in RB yards (1853 + 812 = 2665) and #3 in RB TDs (18).

The depth chart has Ball at the top, and then likely C.J. Anderson will beat out Ronnie Hillman to become the #2.

Anderson has only seven carries and no catches last year as a rookie. So he comes in with nearly zero actual NFL game experience. Hillman is not only old news, but OC Adam Gase said Hillman needs to improve to just make the team.

This leads me to think one of three outcomes will happen.

1. Ball gets a big uptick in carries and catches in the best offense from 2013. He has an untested and undrafted #2 in Anderson who will need to prove himself in actual games to garner any significant carries and last year there were 423 to share. Hillman is not a real factor. Ball has a monster year barring injury.

2. Anderson gets far more playing time than anyone thinks even though he never really played at all last year. He ends up with enough playing time to time share with Ball. That gives Anderson every week fantasy value while capping Ball's stats and prevent him from being a top ten back.

3. All three backs platoon in and divide up the carries.

They burned a high pick on a thoroughbred in Ball. I guess #2 could certainly happen, but you can certainly make the argument that #1 will happen.

Another thing - Moreno ended up as the #5 best RB last year and that was with the highly drafted and already accomplished Ball on the roster. Can we assume the Broncos believe that Ball is at least as good as Moreno since they released Moreno and added no one to the backfield mix?

L-Bell in 1st round...where is that 1 guy who said he sucks ?

That would be Bronco Billy. No matter how much I kept trying to tell him about Bell's numbers, he just kept ignoring reality. Live and learn.

Bronco Billy Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

If your success in FF was tied to Bell, your season was over before the injury. People really thought this guy in that offense was that much of an impact guy?

Irish Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

If his foot heals well enough and he comes back by week 6 and takes over the job, he could be HUGH for the teams that get him late down the stretch

Bronco Billy, on 24 August 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Is it indeed, Henry? Because you didn't do your homework on Bell and got caught up in the combine craze on him? If he was anything other than a bye week option for your FF team, you misjudged his ability badly. Your winning $100K doesn't change that.

Bronco Billy, on 09 November 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

He's a startable mid-range RB2 lumped in with a bunch of other guys in that range. Hardly a difference maker, but adequate to fill out a lineup in start 2 RB league. You could get roughly the same production from Thomas, Tolbert, or Starks the past few weeks and those guys are pretty much WW fodder 4 to 5 weeks ago

Not sure where the vindication is. His stats are mediocre.

Irish Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

Actually, his numbers aren't altogether mediocre. In 12-16 team leagues, for the 5 weeks that Bell has posted stats, he is a #1 RB based on the numbers he's put up on average compared to the rest of the league. Sure, he has only 77.9 pts on the year but when averaging out those numbers for 5 weeks played, he's averaging 15.58 pts per week, which ranks 11th right behind Woodhead and the obvious studs of the league. Therefore, at this point in the season, he's a low-end #1 and very high-end #2 and has shown that he can be rather consistent while posting a big game from time to time as he did against the Vikings. Sure, he hasn't broken 100 yards rushing yet but he's very active in the passing game averaging about 5 targets per game, 3 receptions and 30 yards. That's an extra 6 pts on top of whatever rushing totals he has. His total yards per game have seemed like a 1 on, 1 off kinda deal but again his receptions and TDs have helped make him more valuable.

Total yards/stats per game

Week 4 - 84 yards 2 TDs 4 rec (20 total touches) = 24.4 pts

Week 6 - (@ Jets) - 56 yards 3 rec (19 total touches) = 8.6 pts

Week 7 - 99 yards 1 rec (20 total touches) = 10.9 pts

Week 8 - 51 yards 1 TD 5 rec (18 total touches) = 16.1 pts

Week 9 - 139 yards 4 rec (20 total touches) = 17.9 pts

4 out of 5 games were double figures, with 2 in the higher teens and one mid-20-pt game. He's also consistently averaging about 20 touches per game which I know, most fantasy owners would love to have their weekly RBs getting.

Now again, he's averaging per game played as much as the #1 RBs in the league but he's lower end and I'd rather him as my #2 with upside.

Oh and he's in for another Top 10 finish at the RB position again this weekend. Little more than mediocre, wouldn't you say?

After missing 3 games to start last season, Bell finished as the 15th best RB and his avg numbers per week placed him in the Top 10 at #9. He only had 1 single digit performance and he was absolutely money during the playoffs averaging over 20 pts a week.

I've never been a big fan of grabbing a player who starts the season injured. Especially those pesky hammy's. Always seemed to bite me in the end. However, Bell and Lacy I believe were both great plays if you could stash them for a few weeks last year.