[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First time doing keepers, need some advice

Beaker

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to plan out my keepers for next year and start some trade talks with the guys i cant keep that have value. My questions are which 3 players would you keep and what value should i get in return for the players I dont that have value (or should i just throw them back)?

So our keeper rules are: Keep up to 3. You keep the player in the round they were drafted in -1 so a 5th rounder becomes a 4th rounder. etc.

This means you can only keep one of your two first rounders. And players can only be kept 3 years but this is the first year of our league.

Heres my roster with the round they players can be kept in in brackets:

QB: Stafford (6), Rodgers (1)

RB: Lynch (1), Forte (1), Steven Jackson (2), Lacy (5), Joique Bell (16)

WR: Cruz (3), Vjax (4), Harvin (16), Allen(16), Marvin Jones (16)

TE: Julius Thomas (14), Jordan Cameron (12)

K: Whatever

Def: Whatever

I have a nice range of options there. (WW pickups are last round keepers).

I'm thinking I get the most value out of keeping Eddie Lacy, Julius Thomas and Keenan Allen. I'd probably be looking to trade Harvin in that Scenario. You would think that getting to keep Harvin at 16, 15 and a 14th would garner some sever interest as that's great value even if you aren't a big fan of him. Is this the route i should go? If so what should i be trying to get back? If not what do you think I should do?

P.S. I draft 7th and see at least 2 guys ahead of me not keeping their first rounders. In that case I'd bet against getting Forte or Lynch back sad.png. I may have the option to trade lynch to a huge seahawks fan in 1.03 spot and getting a pick back as an extra boost as i wont get him anyway?

Yes, Allen, Thomas and Lacy unless really funky scoring...though its close for me between Cameron and Thomas

I would trade your other players for whatever resources you can get unless there is one or two you are really targeting to get back

Starting lineup requirements and scoring system?

If you don't keep Lynch or Forte, who do you see as the top 5-7 players likely to be availabe when you pick. As you mentioned, you expect to have the 3rd pick at best in the draft, so at least need to know the top 3 likely available players, but if more owners don't keep the player costing thei first pick, you're looking deeper in the pool.

Fairly standard league. 10 players start 1QB, 2 WR 2RB 1TE 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE) 1D/ST 1 Kicker

1 point per 10 yards rushing/receiving 6 points per rushing/receiving TD, 4 points per passing td and 1 point per 25 yards passing.

It's really hard to tell at this point because I have a hunch about who will keep 1st rounders but am guessing. For example the guy in the 1.02 spot is a huge Cincinnati fan and may keep AJ green there even though its probably not advisable. An Im guessing the guy in the 1.1 spot is actually going to trade for Peterson and keep him in that spot but thats not final at the moment.

Pure guesswork but I kinda figure first round is going to go:

1.1 = Peterson

1.2 = AJ Green

1.3 = _________ (This guy would likely give his left nut for Lynch and/or Harvin)

1.4 = Charles

1.5 = _________

1.6 = Calvin Johnson

1.7 = Me

1.8 = Peyton

1.9 = McCoy

1.10 Jimmy Graham

Players I see available = Foster, Doug Martin, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Brees, Rodgers, Morris (If I threw back Lynch and Forte I suppose there's a tiny chance Forte makes it to me at 1.07?)

Edited by Beaker

Have you contacted the guy at 1.3 about possibly dealing him Lynch and Harvin? If we go with the assumption that you aren't going to keep them, then anything you get is a bonus, and since the most likely scenario is that this guy would simply draft Lynch with his pick if the keepers play out as you say is possible, you would be wise to accept a middle of the draft pick for them, or simply a move up in the draft in a few spots if you can work it.

Basically you have to sell the guy on the idea that the the guy at #1 may take him or that the guy at #2 definitely will take him. Make him believe there is no chance that he would protect Green, so if he wants to guarantee locking up Lynch, he needs to deal with you. Let him make an offer to begin with, but, any pick straight up for them is gravy for you, and even better if you can get something in the top 5 rounds for them. You could also offer up something like Lynch/Harvin and your 7th or 8th for his 2nd, something like that.

If you can pull that off, you then get your keepers plus an extra early pick to work with.

Now, let's assume you deal Lynch in this type of scenario.

That appears to leave Forte as the clear cut top player available based on who you anticipate being kept. With you lineup requirements and the lack of PPR, I would advocate keeping Forte for the 7th pick, Lacy for the 5th rounder and Thomas for the 14th rounder.

Depending on what you end up getting in a Lynch deal, you potentially have two 2nd round picks and a 3rd (or a 2nd and two 3rds) to add 2 WRs and BPA WR/RB for the flex spot, allows you to either fill in your lineup with a QB in the 4th or add depth here and push QB off to the 6th/7th round range or even later(which is perfectly fine to do in a 10 teamer).

If you do this, you get 2 of the top RBs in an RB friendly league, a top TE and enough high picks to fill in your roster with potential top 10 WRs/flex options. A very nice position to be in.

See thats the type of scenario I was kinda hoping someone would bring to the table. So I guess my question is: Is having Forte, Lacy, Julio and Thomas better than having Lacy, Foster, Allen and Thomas plus getting to continue to keep Allen at a extremely low rate?

AKA Is the bump down from Forte to Foster (as an example) for one year worth keeping Allen in the very late rounds for 3 years? I'm leaning towards the keeping Forte Scenario and hoping to snag another guy like allen off waivers in the next year or two (which seems likely)

I'm keeping Forte in the given scenarios. You only keep 3 players from year to year, so this is a very limited keeper - you need to play to win now - Forte should help you more towards that goal than Allen will. Yes, Forte costs a 1st, so in a sense Allen is posing a better value argument, but with Forte appearing to be the clear top available player, you go ahead and lock him up.

Allen, Thomas and Forte.

And I move Harvin and Lynch for the 1.03 and his second round pick. Sounds like a Seattle homer who would galdy give up whatever necessary to grab both.

I'm keeping Forte in the given scenarios. You only keep 3 players from year to year, so this is a very limited keeper - you need to play to win now - Forte should help you more towards that goal than Allen will. Yes, Forte costs a 1st, so in a sense Allen is posing a better value argument, but with Forte appearing to be the clear top available player, you go ahead and lock him up.

Heres what the board looks like (guesses of course) with the lynch trade scenario. I may also try to trade Allen for a decent pick to team 4 who has like 0 keepers beyond charles.

necdarp

Edit.... no idea how to get pic to show in the file

Edited by Beaker