[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

14-team PPR - 1st round draft pick question

Doromo

Football is BACK!

I won the 1st round draft from last year and have a looming question in my head that needs to be answered.

I'm in a 14-team PPR where QB's get no penalties. Should I draft a QB for my first pick or go with RB and select QB in the next round? Last year the trend was split 50/50 where some did the trend of RB and some got the QBs so by the 2nd round the top four qbs were taken and the top 7rbs were gone and 1 te, etc.

If I go with RB, would J. Charles be the best bet for PPR even though their offensive line is not as good this year or should I get a top qb who avgs more then 25+ a game?

Our line-up is:

QB

RB

RB

RB/WR

TE

DE

K

With only 5 bench slots.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Doromo

Wait, what? You don't have to start a WR?

Anyways... I don't think having no dings for INTs/fumbles should make you take a QB #1 overall. I would take McCoy or Charles, especially if you can start up to 3 (and HAVE to start at least 2).

In fact, I think having no INT/fumble dings would make the QB pool even deeper... guys like Cutler will have even more value. Don't waste the #1 on Manning when the guy doesn't really even throw INTs to begin with.

The question goes back to the ancient Value Based Drafting. The reason most experts (aka the people who job it is to talk about fantasy football all year round) suggest taking a RB in the first rd is more of them are required to play and the drop off after the first few picks is huge. QBs have a similar drop off but because you only have to start 1 more will be available.

Definitely don't take a QB at #1. Load up at RB since you can start 3 of them.

You mention what the top Qbs averaged, but that is only a tiny piece of the equation.

You need to evaluate the likely drop off at the QB position between your picks compared to the likely drop off at the other positions (I'll assume you actually do start WRs).

In most setups, the drop off expected at the RB spot is much more severe than the QB spot, so being able to lock up a top RB, one of the few that are likely to be on the field for 3 downs, getting the majority of their teams carries and also involved in the receiving game, is a much better value play than taking a QB where you are not going to see as big of a drop off in production by waiting.

Now, if your league is set up such that QBs score so many more points than the other positions such that the drop off there is very high, then you go with a QB.

Definitely don't take a QB at #1. Load up at RB since you can start 3 of them.

Totally agreed, McCoy or Charles (or Forte, I guess).. the drop off of elite backs happens quickly and you need a few.

Edited by robotpimp

Personally I like McCoy over Charles mainly cause the Eagles are a much faster tempo. They had more plays than any other team last year. Also the Chiefs lost several O linemen which could hurt Charles.