[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Advice...

Question... everywhere I read that RB's must be take in 1st round with early picks and I understand why... but in our league QB's are always at the top in pts.... for example last year: Peyton (527), Brees (438) and JC (366) and McCoy (345).. so the top QB's outscored the top RB's but at least 100 pts.

If you had one of the top 3 picks... would it be crazy to pick Peyton or Bree's over some of the stud RB's?

I know their is a high number of good QB's available who can fill the role and less stud RB's to pick from after rd 1... .but doesn't it come down to who scores the most pts each week? If you have a PM/Brees getting 30 pts per week would that be better?

Just curious what others thoughts are on this.?

League is a PPR with 6pts TD's...

Thanks

It doesn;t matter that Qbs score more than RBs.

What you need to look at is how much does that top QB outscore the QB you are likely to get if you don't take one early vs. how much the RB is likely to outscore the RB you would get if you skip on one early.

In most leagues with a relatively standard setup (1QB, 2-3 RB, 2-4 WR lineup, at least 10 teams, relatively normal scoring rules, ie not 1 pt per 10 yards passing, etc.), the likely drop off at RB is greater than that of QB, thus in general it is advised to go RB early in these leagues. That of course is no gurantor of success, as it still comes down to picking the right players that dont get hurt or decide to suck in a given year, but it does increase the chances of success.

Anyone that blanketly says to take an RB early without considering the league setup is an idiot.

So, that said, we'd need to know more about the league - how many teams, lineup requirements, scoring rules, where you pick, draft tendencies of your opponents - in order to give any sort of tailored advice.

Thanks for the response.. and you raised some good points about comparing the drop off of QB's vs RB's I can select. In a quick look there is certainly a larger drop off in pts in the quality of RB's I can select at 1,2,3 vs. 8,9,10... then some decent quality QB's at later rounds

Some info on league..

12 teams

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, DST, K

PPR (1pt per 10 yds, 3pt bonus for 100+), 6pt TD's, QB's (1 pt per 25 yards, 3pt bonus over 400 and 500), -2ints, Bonus for big Play TD (2 pts over 50, 4pts 60-75..etc), RB (1pt per 10yds, 3pt bonus at 100) Bonus for big play TD's...

My pick is #3.... draft tendencies tend to be top 2-3 QB's are gone quickly then typically top RB and WR's.

If you think you can get someone like Luck or Kaepernick in the 2nd round then take an rb in the first, you'll get an elite rb and a qb that will get you decent points week to week, the drop off in total points won't be as bad as taking a qb first.

Thanks for the response.. and you raised some good points about comparing the drop off of QB's vs RB's I can select. In a quick look there is certainly a larger drop off in pts in the quality of RB's I can select at 1,2,3 vs. 8,9,10... then some decent quality QB's at later rounds

Some info on league..

12 teams

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, DST, K

PPR (1pt per 10 yds, 3pt bonus for 100+), 6pt TD's, QB's (1 pt per 25 yards, 3pt bonus over 400 and 500), -2ints, Bonus for big Play TD (2 pts over 50, 4pts 60-75..etc), RB (1pt per 10yds, 3pt bonus at 100) Bonus for big play TD's...

My pick is #3.... draft tendencies tend to be top 2-3 QB's are gone quickly then typically top RB and WR's.

Definitely go with a RB. As was stated the drop off for RBs is much greater than QBs. Rodgers still has Cobb and Nelson to throw to and Lacy is doing well so they have a decent run attack, thus more able to throw with less pressure. Then there's Luck who has Hilton, Hicks, and Wayne to throw too. The Colts run attack is unknown(how well Trent Richardson will do), so that could be a problem, but if you follow luck's career so far he's done a lot of carrying the team. I'm not a fan of Cutler, but look who has to throw to. And on and on for QBs is like that past Brees and Manning.

For RBs just look at the teams they're playing on as they are currently ranked now on various fantasy sites. The top guys have to contend with decent to mediocre teams, Chiefs, Vikings, Eagles, Bengals, Steelers, etc. Its not easy on backs to carry a large portion of his team's success, physically I mean. And you have to worry about injuries for two of your slots, RBs are more likely to get injured than a QB, at least that's what I have observed. Where as with your QB only one back up is needed instead of 4-5 RBs total.

If you think you can get someone like Luck or Kaepernick in the 2nd round then take an rb in the first, you'll get an elite rb and a qb that will get you decent points week to week, the drop off in total points won't be as bad as taking a qb first.

I wouldn't be looking at either of those 2 options till much further down then the second round. There are 32 starting qb's and 12 starters In your league, you should be able to wait till the 5th round if you must have one of the first 8 qb's off the board, but otherwise you can still get quality starters much later then that