[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help ending argument: Can you kick ball out of a players hands?

lazytitan

Here is an argument I have been having with co-workers and I thought this would be a good place to find out what others thought.

Here is the official rule that started the debate...

http://static.nfl.co...Definitions.pdf

FUMBLE

Article 4A Fumble is any act, other than a pass or kick, which results in loss of player possession. The term

Fumble always implies possession. (8-7-3).

Note: If a player pretends to fumble and causes the ball to go forward, it is a forward pass and may be illegal

(8-1-2-Pen. a, c).

A.R. 3.1 While runner A1 is in possession, defensive player B1 grabs the ball away from him.

Ruling:Fumble.

A.R. 3.2 While runner A1 is in possession, defensive player B1 kicks the ball away from him.

Ruling:A foul during a fumble. Kicking a ball in player possession is a foul (12-1-9)

So the way I read this is when a fumble is being recovered you are not allowed to run up and kick the ball out of the players hand.

Others read this rule and say it means you are not allowed to kick the ball out of a players hand at any time.

Now obviously there would never be a time where some player would try kicking a ball out of a players hands on purpose but its being argued that if a players foot causes the fumble its will be a penalty no matter what. I have watched a lot of football and never once during any replay have I seen them ask what caused the fumble only if it was a fumble. WITH the exception of the ground causing the fumble.

So can a fumble be caused by a player kicking the ball out of a players hands on purpose or by accident.

I may be wrong but that's why I want to see what others thought.

No. You cannot kick the ball out of the possession of another player. The rule doesn't stipulate intent (accident or not), just the result. That's reads clear to me. You are I think confusing matters when you say a fumble is being recovered. If it is in possession, then you cannot do it. The refs would decide if the player had possession prior to a kick. Kicking is pretty much frowned on outside of special teams.