[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Luck vs. Wilson

Seahawks21

This has been one of the biggest hot-button topics on Seahawks boards over the past two years. Many Seahawks homers feel the media is biased towards Luck and that Wilson doesn't get enough credit. Wilson has much better efficiency numbers, but Luck does a lot with less. Who is the better QB coming into year three? Who would you rather have on your homer team? Why?

A few numbers:

Completion Percentage:

Wilson: 63.6%

Luck: 57%

Yards Per Attempt:

Wilson: 8.1

Luck: 6.8

Touch Downs:

Wilson: 52

Luck: 46

Interceptions:

Wilson: 19

Luck: 27

Touch Down Percentage:

Wilson: 6.5%

Luck: 3.8%

Passer Rating:

Wilson: 100.6

Luck: 81.5

Rushing Yards:

Wilson: 1,028

Luck: 632

Career Record:

Wilson: 12-6, 16-3 = 28-9

Luck: 11-6, 12-6 = 23-12

I'd rather have Luck by far. Wilson is a good QB and he has intangibles to be sure. But he also usually plays with a lead and has the luxury of the pass since the defense and rushing attack is so good. Not so with IND. Luck is the Colts IMO, whereas Wilson is one of several key players for SEA. You've sort of cherry picked some stats that all favor Wilson. Here are others:

Pass attempts

Luck 1322 Wilson 990

Pass Completions

Luck 1197 Wilson 799

Pass Yards

Luck 8196 Wilson 6475

Rush TDs

Luck 9 Wilson 5

300 yard games

Luck 9 Wilson 2

There's a dramatic difference between having a lead and not needing to throw and the Colts where the only way they can win is with Luck passing. Bottom line. Wilson has proven much better than expected but I would personally put Luck in a higher class than Wilson. Both are what their respective teams need.

• Like 3

Would it be fair to say then that Wilson's INT numbers are too high considering the he rarely needs to throw in order to catch up and win? Contrary to Luck's need to throw constantly?

DMD is dead on. The Colts were a laughing stock during the year between Manning and Luck. Luck carries the team basically every week. I would say that he is the best young QB in the league.

That said, Wilson is damn good. It's just that Luck is already proving to be elite at the position.

DMD is dead on. The Colts were a laughing stock during the year between Manning and Luck. Luck carries the team basically every week. I would say that he is the best young QB in the league.

That said, Wilson is damn good. It's just that Luck is already proving to be elite at the position.

One of the worst completion percentages in the league, a bunch of INT's and a below average passer rating proves you to be elite nowadays?

Wouldn't Wilson be really good if asked to throw more? Would Luck be able to be as efficient as Wilson has been if asked to never turn it over?

Edited by Seahawks21

One of the worst completion percentages in the league, a bunch of INT's and a below average passer rating proves you to be elite nowadays?

Wouldn't Wilson be really good if asked to throw more? Would Luck be able to be as efficient as Wilson has been if asked to never turn it over?

Their INT percentage is practically the same:

0.020 - Luck

0.019 - Wilson

Via Rotoworld from ESPN:

In poll of 26 general managers, personnel men and coaches, Andrew Luck landed in "Tier 1" of quarterbacks.

The only other Tier 1 quarterbacks were Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. Although Luck has been in the NFL for just two years and is yet to go off statistically, it's clear to anyone with two eyes that he's a "once in a generation" kind of talent. Luck is just a middling QB1 in re-draft formats due to the presence of stubborn run-first OC Pep Hamilton, but he's arguably the No. 1 quarterback in Dynasty leagues.

Yeah, this really isn't a contest.

• Like 1

So you ask for opinions, then attack them when given. This is why homer discussions suck. Luck is far and away a better QB at this stage. It's not even a conversation. But because the other 52 guys helped win a Super Bowl, and because he wears that color uniform people are going to get crazy.

• Like 1

So you ask for opinions, then attack them when given. This is why homer discussions suck. Luck is far and away a better QB at this stage. It's not even a conversation. But because the other 52 guys helped win a Super Bowl, and because he wears that color uniform people are going to get crazy.

Who's opinion did I attack? I've been accused of being a lot of things, but being a blind homer has never been one of them. I'm simply playing devil's advocate. Trying to get some conversation going. Luck is much better. "It's not even a conversation." Okay. Better at what? Better leader? Better passer? Better in the pocket? What makes you feel that way?

If Russell Wilson retired today, he would have the second highest QB rating in NFL history. With a bad O-line and "pedestrian" receivers. And he plays even better in the playoffs.

Andrew Luck's completion percentage is below Jake Locker's, with a HOF WR, a decent pass blocking line, a running game that gets 4.3 YPC, and another emerging WR.

Andrew Luck's completion percentage is below Jake Locker's, with a HOF WR, a decent pass blocking line, a running game that gets 4.3 YPC, and another emerging WR.

The Seahawks had the 4th best rushing unit last year (136 yds per game).

The Colts had the 20th (108.9)

The Seahawks had the 1st total defense in the league.

The Colts had the 20th.

Reggie Wayne is on the decline and these were his numbers last year:

7 games played, 38 receptions, 503 yds and 2 TD's, hardly HoF numbers.

Wilson has been sacked 77 times

Luck has been sacked 73 times - hardly a decent pass blocking line.

Edited by Shaman

The Seahawks had the 4th best rushing unit last year (136 yds per game).

The Colts had the 20th (108.9)

The Seahawks had the 1st total defense in the league.

The Colts had the 20th.

Reggie Wayne is on the decline and these were his numbers last year:

7 games played, 38 receptions, 503 yds and 2 TD's, hardly HoF numbers.

Wilson has been sacked 77 times

Luck has been sacked 73 times - hardly a decent pass blocking line.

Take Wayne out, and you're left with Hilton, who is still better than any receiver the Seahawks have. Wilson was sacked more, in farrrrr less chances. His O-line is way worse than Luck's in the passing game, by any measurement you want to use.

Believe it or not, on the Seahawks board, I am actually playing the other side. It is basically 100 against 1, me being the one guy defending Luck. It is hard to do though, at least statistically. The one thing I am truly amazed at though, is that I come here, and the discussion is basically laughed off. It is like it is a one-sided, not even debatable topic. I do believe Wilson did better on the NFL network top 100 list, for what that is worth. Is the media really slanting things so much towards Luck that it blinds the conversation? I didn't know his completion percentage was so bad. I didn't know Russell was like 20 full points higher in quarterback rating. It has become clear to me that those saying Wilson is better may at least have a point and a very defensible argument.

Does Luck have better intangibles? Probably not, they're both awesome leaders and personalities. Does he have a stronger arm? Probably not. They both have great arm strength. Is he better in the pocket? Probably not, Wilson completes 67% of his passes from the pocket, Luck at 60%, with superior weapons and pass blocking. You can say Luck is more of a winner, taking a bad team to the playoffs in a short time, but Wilson took a mediocre team and won a Super Bowl two years later. At the very, very least, it is a lot closer debate than is being portrayed here.

At this point I'm really just curious as to how people explain why they would take Luck over Wilson. Height?

I remember this same conversation when Peyton was in year two. The other QB being compared was Charlie Batch.

So much easier when you are a young QB being drafted by a much better team than when you are first overall going to worst team in the league.

Having the #1 defense and #4 running game is HUGE.

LOL at height being the reason. Luck's ceiling is much, much higher.

Let's revisit in 5 years. I imagine it will be as laughable as the Batch/Manning comparisons. I still remember the quote from Shanahan saying he wouldn't be surprised if Charlie ended up being better than Peyton when all is said and done. :lol:

I remember this same conversation when Peyton was in year two. The other QB being compared was Charlie Batch.

So much easier when you are a young QB being drafted by a much better team than when you are first overall going to worst team in the league.

Having the #1 defense and #4 running game is HUGE.

LOL at height being the reason. Luck's ceiling is much, much higher.

Let's revisit in 5 years. I imagine it will be as laughable as the Batch/Manning comparisons. I still remember the quote from Shanahan saying he wouldn't be surprised if Charlie ended up being better than Peyton when all is said and done. :lol:

What do you mean when you say his ceiling is much, much higher?

Dude, you just compared the guy that statistically arguably has the best first two years in NFL History, and oh yeah, won a Super Bowl, to Charlie Batch. I'm sorry, I respect you, but that is ignorance. Russell is going to be thought of in the same vein as Charlie Batch? This team is going to be good for a lot of Russell's career, he's going to rack up playoff appearances and wins, barring injury, regardless of how well he plays. Charlie Batch?

Andrew Luck compares favorably to David Carr and Tim Couch I guess.

Charlie Batch was pretty darn good his first few years!

Yeah, if 57% completion percentage and a low 80's QB rating mean pretty darn good! I guess Andrew Luck was pretty darn good his first few years too!

You misunderstood me. Wilson is a good QB in a great system on a fantastic team. But he is not a QB you build a team around, nor could he do the things that the colts have asked Andrew Luck to do. I also think the Seahawks offense is a bit gimmicky in the passing game and NFL teams will adjust. But as long as they have that caliber running game and defense, it will make him look a lot better.

And you lose me completely when you keep saying how good the Colts I-line is. That's a laughable statement.