[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Luck worth a 5th rounder in 10 team PPR keeper?

I can keep Andrew Luck this year for a 5th rounder after drafting him in the 7th last year. It is not crazy value, but I was leaning towards keeping him just to have the QB position set and getting to see if he continues to improve for next year. Though next year he would cost a 3rd.

My other keepers are Calvin Johnson for my 1st rounder (10th overall) and Gio Bernard for my 6th rounder.

QBs go a little early in this league. 7 QBs were taken in the first 5 rounds last year.

CoH

What other options do you have available as potential keeper choices?

Do you have to keep 3?

Hard to really answer without knowing what you are passing up on keeping.

5th round in a 10 team league is generally a little early for my liking for Luck, as you should be able to get comparable value in the draft at that spot or even later, so protecting him would cost you some draft flexibility. But, it's not a massive overpay that I would automatically say pass on it.

We can keep 3 max, 1 per position (WR/TE combined). Two keepers cost 2 rounds earlier than drafted (or previous year's cost), 3rd keeper costs a 1st rounder regardless.

So it's:

I can keep Forte or Calvin for my first rounder. But my other options at WR/TE are not as attractive.

Basically it works out to:

Calvin (1st) plus Gio (6th) or Vereen (7th)

OR

Forte (1st) plus Gronk (3rd) or RRandle (9th)

Keeping Luck for a 5th doesn't affect my other choices since I'm limited to 1 keeper per position.

-CoH

I personally would keep Forte for your 1st. I know it gives up CJ but who is more likely going be there for your second rd pick CJ or Forte. CJ is good value in the 1st but there are just fewer great RBs.

I wouldn't touch Gronk with a 10 ft pole.

Gio for a 6th is solid value. Vereen for a 7th is also real solid value. Both are stuck in committe type roles but I could see them being solid RB2.

5th for Luck isn't all that attractive. I understand he's most likely going to be a top 10 QB but I would take the last QB in your league. I would find it strange for anyone in a 10 team league to take a QB too early. Even if you end up with Luck, Wilson, Kapernick, Foles or RG3 your getting a great QB. Heck Cutler, Romo and Brady all out of the top 10 and any of them could easily have a bounceback year. The options at QB are extensive. I think that you should explore the QBs out there in your draft.

Appreciate the answer. I can only keep one player per position. So keeping Forte will cost me Calvin Johnson, and also make me toss back Gio (for a 6th) or Vereen (for a 7th). I see Gio for a 6th as my best value, so was planning to go with CJ along with him.

Again, I agree with going QB late, but league history also comes into play. Again, by the end of the 5th round last year, 7 QBs were off the board. Some even take 2 before the 7th/8th. Not saying I agree with it- it's just what they do. So, taking Luck as the 6th or 7th QB off the board seems at least reasonable.

But not an easy call.

Thanks again,

CoH

Appreciate the answer. I can only keep one player per position. So keeping Forte will cost me Calvin Johnson, and also make me toss back Gio (for a 6th) or Vereen (for a 7th). I see Gio for a 6th as my best value, so was planning to go with CJ along with him.

Again, I agree with going QB late, but league history also comes into play. Again, by the end of the 5th round last year, 7 QBs were off the board. Some even take 2 before the 7th/8th. Not saying I agree with it- it's just what they do. So, taking Luck as the 6th or 7th QB off the board seems at least reasonable.

But not an easy call.

Thanks again,

CoH

Yeah I don't understand taking 2 QBs in a 10 team league unless your starter is coming into the year with an injury. I don't think any of the top 20 QBs have any major injury concerns.

The 1 at the position is tricky it makes keeping CJ and Gio a good move. The giants WRs didn't excite me last year and I doubt they will this year.

Given the league rules and options, I think keeping Calvin and Gio is the right choice for the RB/WR portion of the keeper.

I am neutral on the Luck as a keeper piece, but, given your description of league history, I would go ahead and lock him up for a 5th rounder. I think he is a safe lock to be in the 5-8 range for QBs this year, not likely to crack the top 3 and not likely to slump. If owners are snagging QBs early, you may miss out on a small bit of value by not having your 5th if players slide, but I'm fine with the idea of locking up Luck as your QB1 and just focusing on BPA for your draft.

This is a unique style for keepers but it is interesting. Calvin & Gio are exactly right and as for Luck I like him and understand what you are saying about your league history but I see this year that their are like 13 or 14 QBs that are solid starters. I have also thought waiting on QB in drafts is the way to go but that is your personal preference I guess. Luck for a 5th is not terrible but Ican't imagine I would suggest keeping him after this year.

I like Luck this year I think he'll continue to get better but if this is a 10 team league, there are good quality QB's to wait on.

CJ and GIO are who you have to keep.

QB's go 13 deep and you'll end up with 4k passing with 28 td's, its a crap-shoot after Rodgers, Brees and Manning are off the board. Wait a couple more rounds fill out your other WR2 / RB2 TE positions. I think Luck goes either in the 5th or 6th you may get a chance to get him in the 5th... I'd wait it out then decide.