[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tough choice in keeper league

Good day all, new to The Huddle.

My league permits 3 keepers each year from the previous season. Roster is QB, 3 WRs, 2 RBs, TE, W/T, W/R, K, DEF, then we also choose several individual defensive players. It is NOT PPR. But we do earn .2 points per completion by QBs.

I have Jamaal Charles and Montee Ball, both of which I think are a given for 2 of the 3 spots. Final decision, I'm torn between keeping Zac Stacy as a damn good flex, or keeping Nick Foles as QB. Which way would you go?

Thanks.

Forgive my ignorance if I don't provide the answers you're seeking ...

It's a Yahoo standard draft. Keepers are decided before the draft and don't affect your rounds, so I'm not sure what you're asking there. 16 teams, we draft until rosters are full so with the individual defensive players as well as bench spots, I believe it goes 29-30 rounds.

How many teams?

With it being non-PPR, but giving some points for completion, just how much do QBs score compared to the other positions? Is there enough of a spread in QB scoring to justify protecting a mid range starter with upside? I ask because generally speaking QB would be fairly easy to replace in the draft and Stacy has the potential to be a very strong flex candidate, but the combo of your league size and scoring system could swing the balance.

Forgive my ignorance if I don't provide the answers you're seeking ...

It's a Yahoo standard draft. Keepers are decided before the draft and don't affect your rounds, so I'm not sure what you're asking there. 16 teams, we draft until rosters are full so with the individual defensive players as well as bench spots, I believe it goes 29-30 rounds.

If your keepers are not kept for specific rounds thus taking up a specific pick in a specific round, ex- charles in the first, Ball in the 8th, Foles in the 12th, then you should keep foles. You already then have your RBs and starting QB locked up so the first 2 rounds can be for WRs or a top 5 TE. Unless you think you have a very high chance of picking Manning, Brees, or Rodgers, my guess is brees and manning are going to be kept by other teams.

Yeah, our league is customized quite a bit, so it can be confusing. Here's the scoring breakdown for QBs and RBs:

QB:

.2 per completion, 20 ypp, 2 points at 300, 3 points at 400, 5 points at 500, 6 pptd, -2 int, -1 sack

RB:

10 ypp, 2 at 100, 3 at 150, 5 at 200, 6 pptd

If your keepers are not kept for specific rounds thus taking up a specific pick in a specific round, ex- charles in the first, Ball in the 8th, Foles in the 12th, then you should keep foles. You already then have your RBs and starting QB locked up so the first 2 rounds can be for WRs or a top 5 TE. Unless you think you have a very high chance of picking Manning, Brees, or Rodgers, my guess is brees and manning are going to be kept by other teams.

Yeah, the top QBs will be kept. But there are some decent alternatives out there as well that I could pick up in the first or second round, such as grabbing Foles back if he's not taken up, Stafford, Brady, Ryan, and Cutler are all on the board.

Yeah, our league is customized quite a bit, so it can be confusing. Here's the scoring breakdown for QBs and RBs:

QB:

.2 per completion, 20 ypp, 2 points at 300, 3 points at 400, 5 points at 500, 6 pptd, -2 int, -1 sack

RB:

10 ypp, 2 at 100, 3 at 150, 5 at 200, 6 pptd

By scoring breakdown, I mean how many points did the top QBs score on the season compared to the Qbs in the 14-16 range.

How about the top 3-4 RBs compared to the 28-32 RB (assuming you must start 2) - 14-16th if you only are required to start 1

By scoring breakdown, I mean how many points did the top QBs score on the season compared to the Qbs in the 14-16 range.

How about the top 3-4 RBs compared to the 28-32 RB (assuming you must start 2) - 14-16th if you only are required to start 1

Ah ... Well, Manning hit 702.75, followed by Brees at 589.50. #5 was Stafford at 459.85. Compare that to Wilson with 389.65 and Kaep with 374.85.

RBs ... Charles hit 322.90, Lynch was #4 with 248.47. Compare that to Bush with 188.63 and Gore with 185.40.

Ha! Definitely understand that advice. However, I do believe in diversification ... if you can have LOTS of good, it's better than having very little great. I'm defending champ, and had Foles as my QB.

Sounds like your answer right there, with QBs having a massive drop off in points from the elite to the middle you've got to keep them. Especially if the other option is just a flex RB.

• Like 1

I don't see him as an elite QB, but I would say there is a good likelihood that he is in the upper portion of that second tier of QB.

Some additional questions:

1. What pick do you have in the first round?

2. Who do you see as the top RBs/WRs that will be available (you've already mentioned that Cutler, Ryan, Brady and Stafford would be available in draft)?

Basically this let;s us figure out:

A. If I keep Foles, what is the best I can realistically expect to get for WR/flex (as Stacy would be flex)

B. If I keep Stacy, what is the best I can do at QB/WR

Then we figure out which path is most likely to lead to the better overall team.