[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on a 3WR vs. 2WR league? 12 team 0.5 PPR

Footballpb32

So I run a 12 team, 0.5 PPR league. The rosters are standard but I am looking to increase it to a 3WR setup so it looks like 1qb/2rb/3wr/1te/1flex/1kicker/1defense. That would make it 10 starters/6 bench.

Mainly I want my league to be competitive but strategy so its not luck that controls the games but skill. Here is my rational for changing the league to a 3WR format. Below are the scoring ranges for RBs and WRs based on tiers (tier 1 = 1-12, tier 2 = 13-24, etc.)

RB -- Tier 1: 343-197 Tier 2: 195-149 Tier 3: 146-118

WR --Tier 1: 273-222 Tier 2: 221-164 Tier 3: 163-139 Tier 4: 138-119

Previously with the 2WR setup it was almost always a WR as your flex guy. However with a 3WR setup it seems like there is more strategy to pick your flex. I'm looking at the comparison between the Tier 3 RB and the Tier 4 WR.

What do you guys think? Thoughts?

From that data that you are showing your arguement makes perfect sense.

I'd also make that arguement that the deeper a league (aka the more player you start) the more oppertunity to score. I hate when I have someone who i debated about starting blow up while sitting on my bench.

I'd also look into how many bench spots you have. Expanding the roster while keeping the same limited bench may cause problems.

Right now I kept the total number of players at 16. Therefore 10 starters and 6 bench compared with 9 and 7. I thought about increasing it to 17 but decided that everyone typically has enough active players per week to put someone in that last spot. Also its an auction draft and I'm not sure how adding an extra player would alter the auction values and a lot of guys in my league are novice so it would make it unfair to them.

What is your goal in looking to increase the lineup size?

In addition to simply adding a WR, did you look at the possibility of adding an additional flex position? Maybe even one that is limited to just WR/TE in addition to what I assumes is a RB/WR/TE flex.

If you increase starting lineup spots, you probably will have to increase roster size. 10 starter and only 6 bench will be very hard to manage.

Yeah agree with that, a lot of roster turnover during bye weeks especially when your studs are out.

Probably worth a separate thread, but what is your opposition to flex?

It makes it too easy to plug in the correct lineup. .. of course me making the rules and usually having the deepest team in the league, I would stand to benefit the most from having a flex option but then there would be less of a challenge

It makes it too easy to plug in the correct lineup. .. of course me making the rules and usually having the deepest team in the league, I would stand to benefit the most from having a flex option but then there would be less of a challenge

Interesting.... Isee at as making it a bit easy to be able to plug in A lineup, but a little more complicated to plug in the "correct" lineup, as now I must not only compare players within their own position for that week;s performance, but also against the options from other positions. When you factor in things like PPR (and especially graduated PPR), possible different yardage rules by position, etc., I think it is a much more difficult decision.

I guess what I also like about the flex spot is it allows more creativity and options in building a roster.

• Like 1

I like 3wr but I dislike flex. ..

Typically I like 1qb (unless it is an 8 team league then it is 2qb) 2rb 3wr 1te 1k 1def

That is our league, we used to have 1 flex and only 2 WR, then moved the flex to WR to try and de-emphasize RB (back when RB were still king with few RBBC). There are times when I'd like the opportunity to flex, but not so often as WR is usually strong on my team (Calvin, Fitz and now DemThomas) while my RB are weak. I like the flex in that it gives you more options during byes and injuries. There could be times that my #3RB or #2TE is a better option than my #3WR. (I know one week last year I lost 2 of my 3 best WR and another bench WR was injured. If we had a flex I probably would have started a RB or TE instead of 3WR.

I would add (agree with others) that expanding starters without expanding the roster any could make things hard. May seem ok now, but as the season goes on and you have a bunch of guys plus some other good player injured, you'll find teams having problems to find that last healthy/active player for their. Our rosters may be a bit bloated, we start 9 and have 9 bench (12 team league, waivers are usually pretty thin).

Interesting.... Isee at as making it a bit easy to be able to plug in A lineup, but a little more complicated to plug in the "correct" lineup, as now I must not only compare players within their own position for that week;s performance, but also against the options from other positions. When you factor in things like PPR (and especially graduated PPR), possible different yardage rules by position, etc., I think it is a much more difficult decision.

I guess what I also like about the flex spot is it allows more creativity and options in building a roster.

I also prefer more flex spots. I generally believe that the less rigid and structured the starting lineup is, the more it favors the more skilled/knowledgeable owners.

I play in a league that has 1 RB 2 WR 1 TE and 3 flex spots and it is by far my favorite one to draft and manage.

Also, in general, more starters favors better owners as it extends the startable player universe deeper down to where it takes a little more work to mine the gems.

See I just plug in the best player left and I usually have at least 1 more startable player on my bench.....

I have brought up countless times how back in 02 I had mcallister, portis and travis henry at RB and all 3 finished in the top 5....

Just about every week I benched the best RB .....if I had a flex option then I would have steamrolled the league instead of losing in the championship...

That is our league, we used to have 1 flex and only 2 WR, then moved the flex to WR to try and de-emphasize RB (back when RB were still king with few RBBC). There are times when I'd like the opportunity to flex, but not so often as WR is usually strong on my team (Calvin, Fitz and now DemThomas) while my RB are weak. I like the flex in that it gives you more options during byes and injuries. There could be times that my #3RB or #2TE is a better option than my #3WR. (I know one week last year I lost 2 of my 3 best WR and another bench WR was injured. If we had a flex I probably would have started a RB or TE instead of 3WR.

I would add (agree with others) that expanding starters without expanding the roster any could make things hard. May seem ok now, but as the season goes on and you have a bunch of guys plus some other good player injured, you'll find teams having problems to find that last healthy/active player for their. Our rosters may be a bit bloated, we start 9 and have 9 bench (12 team league, waivers are usually pretty thin).

I kinda get how it makes it more challenging in a way but my problem in fantasy has always been about leaving points on the bench and I find that to be more challenging than getting an extra option to plug in a player who plays RB or WR....

whenever I have a flex option in other leagues I always find myself saying "thank god for the flex" to myself