[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thinking about an Auction Draft - Need some expert advice

Raging Wookiees

Hello!

Been running my local league for the past 15 years and would like to inject a little freshness into the proceedings. I have never run nor participated in an auction draft but the more I read about them the more I want to try. I think I get the basics but have some questions about how others have handled various situations. Would appreciate any thoughts/advice from all you Huddlers!

1. Most of us are local and would be in the room together, however, one guy lives in China and another in North Carolina. So - how would you handle those who are "live" but not there in person?

2. I may have a person who can't be there in person or online. What would you do in that situation?

3. Is it too much to try to be the commissioner and auctioneer? Better to have someone outside the league serve as auctioneer?

4. Any other tips/tricks you've picked up? Interested to hear about how others are doing it overall.

Thank you!

1. Honestly, online draft through a website. Trying to due it through Skype or something similar really doesn't work well. Those on skype are at a major disadvantage because they cannot respond as quickly and because it is really hard for them to track with all the different voices. It also will make the draft longer and auctions tend to be long as is.

2. With an online draft it will auto draft him/her. If not, you'll need a substitute drafter for the person. Can't auto draft in a live auction.

3. Yes and Yes

4. Broadcast money tracking on a TV screen or something, otherwise expect constant questions about who has how much money left. Limit breaks/timeouts cause otherwise your draft will drag. Our snake drafts typically take 60-90 minutes. The shortest auction draft we've ever had was 3 hours for a 10team x 16roster. Most times they've hovered around 4 hours.

Edited by Def.
  • Like 1

1. Definitely online. It makes me feel dirty to recommend this, but CBS definitely supports auction drafts, and quite well. I haven't used MFL before but would assume it's just as good.

2. That's a non-starter. There's no way to automate or proxy the bidding process. Having a stand-in is just as bad IMO. The stand-in may as well be the owner of the team

3. No, but it's a bear, and the draft won't be nearly as smooth, and your team will not be what you wanted it to be. The first year I would definitely have an auctioneer, after doing it a few times it'll go just fine.

4. If you're doing auction online this remaining money will take care of itself. I wouldn't even recommend doing auction draft offline unless you are extremely OCD and/or great with spreadsheets or other development to track it. Someone will overbid, someone else will catch it an hour later, and you'll have chaos.

5. Allow trading of auction dollars, especially if it's a keeper league.

6. Waivers during the season should also be via blind bidding. Start the fund pool over at the same amount, and waivers come from that money. When you run out, you run out, so manage carefully. Don't let them talk you into "we should be able to min bid guys if we run out". No. Fail. Manage your money. Allow trading of FABB (free agent blind bidding) dollars too if your website supports it (MFL does)

• Like 1

Thank you!

We use MFL and I've been playing around in the Auction Draft Room. It's not as flexible as I'd like but should do for our purposes.

Make some rues before the auction. If someone online loses their internet connection, how long will you wait to switch them to autodraft? If someone accidentally bids too much (guilty in my first auction) and it's obvious, can the commish correct it? What happens if someone doesn't fill out the team (no kicker for example), will you let them fill the team out before the season starts?

Auctions are the best BTW, as any team can have any player.