[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manziel

Crazysight

stuff like this I imagine

Johnny Manziel - QB - Browns

Sources tell the Cleveland Plain Dealer the Browns have been "alarmed" by the off-field actions of Johnny Manziel since trading up to select him with the 22nd overall pick in May's draft.

The Plain Dealer reports the team was particularly bothered by a picture that surfaced of Manziel rolling a $20 bill in a bar bathroom, suggestive of someone preparing to use snort cocaine. "Some in the organization feel he's lost ground in the quarterback competition heading into camp," adds beat reporter Mary Kay Cabot. Manziel reportedly "regressed in practice" this spring, and team brass believes it resulted from "not enough dedication to the playbook." Sources also told Cabot the Browns "have been stunned by his non-stop antics" off the field. All signs continue to point to Brian Hoyer starting Week 1 against the Steelers.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Jul 25 - 2:05 PM

FWIW- I'm glad he isn't my teams "QB of the future"

It's like the Browns adopted a wolf and wonder why it doesn't act more like a dog. In Manziel's defense, he's not acting any differently than he ever has.

• Like 2

"I don't think there's anything wrong with me going out and having a nightlife and a social life," Manziel said. "I'm 21 years old and it was the offseason and it's free time for us."

um Johnny - "free time" does not equate to "free basing." FYI.

This is either

1 - Hideously overblown innuendo and the NFL being the media hype circus it's been for a long time now.

2 - Shades of Jim Dru(n)kenmiller. $1M dollar arm, 5 cent head (PS I know people that knew him at Va Tech and they weren't at all surprised; he was well known to be a party dude lush kinda moron). That will get you out of the NFL quickly.

He's saying the right things now, but time will tell. I expect the CLE QB situation to be a mess this year, perhaps being sorted out by about November-ish or so. I also expect Hoyer to have a much shorter leash than he should. Shame.

JFF's night life won't rate as newsworthy once there is actual NFL news to report.

True words. When the season starts, it is all about what he does on the field (assuming he is on the field). One good game from him and everything from the summer goes away.

Everything I've read about him is that he really does take football seriously and that he works his butt off not only during the season but also in the offseason. The best are always self-motivated/driven to excellence.

But I also see the part of him that loves the spotlight and all the self-made attention. That in itself doesn't really concern me too much, as long as he's still all about football, but I can't help but wonder if maybe he couldn't be learning the playbook/studying film instead of partying. In his defense, maybe he's doing that already and just not taking selfies of himself in the film room because, well, they're boring.

The scariest thing about him is his own dad saying he thinks Johnny has a drinking problem and that eventually it's going to catch up to him. That's not a great endorsement, and if it's true, it won't be that he's not big enough to take hits that kills his NFL career.

JFF's night life won't rate as newsworthy once there is actual NFL news to report.

Good luck with that. Tebow, as a backup QB playing on special teams, got more coverage taking a dump than most teams post-game pressers. JFF, attention-whoring as hard as he does isn't going away any time soon.

True words. When the season starts, it is all about what he does on the field (assuming he is on the field). One good game from him and everything from the summer goes away.

Since LeBron James signed with the Cavs we have heard very little about Manziel locally. That Plain Dealer article somebody linked was pretty interesting and with strange timing. For the most part the team was saying they were not concerned. Then right before trainging camp opens this story comes out.

Now he is saying all the right things, keeps saying he needs to be more professional and so on (from a short report I saw on TV last night). He could spend less time partying and more studying the play book or doing some throwing with receivers on the weekends. The whole heaving drinking and "party boy" persona is a bit disturbing. I agree if he plays well it will all be forgotten. But if he is the backup and standing around, there will be even more scruitny and attention on the non-football stuff.