[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strange strategy? Or Brilliant?

Due to circumstances, my league has to draft before the preseason. Like most coaches, I do not put a lot of stock in defenses and kickers.

My thought is not to draft either. It's insurance against pre-season injury, and if I end up having a handcuff that someone needs because of injury...trade bait!

Am I over thinking or is this genius?

Are you allowed to make waiver moves during the preseason?

If yes, then it's a decent strategy that I have seen employed. It doesn't hit as often as you would think, but lottery tickets rarely do.

If no, then it is not worth doing and heading into week one missing two starters.

Bad strategy there will be sleepers that people can pick up to replace starters u wont play week 1 with no def or k and u will be left with scrapes if ur looking for trade bait stock up stud rbs early qb and wr too deep for this option but rb is not deep this year just a bunch of up and coming rookies and older guys i suggest holding on trades longer u wait the more desperate they will get

Hollow050

My thinking is that by using the last two picks of my draft on handcuffs, there's a chance to cash in on a preseason injury. A guy loses jamaal Charles and I use 14th pick on kniles Davis instead of a kicker or defense, I might be able to spin that into a quality player. And if I crap out...I drop my 14th and 15th round picks and pick up a leftover defense and kicker.

I would love to hear some other people's thoughts. Thanks for the input.

Not a bad strategy but it just smacks of desperation. Just draft a better team than everyone else. I guess you can take a shot with 2 other guys who may show something in camp or benefit from injury but more than likely you're just dropping them in the waiver run before the first game to pick up a K and D.

Not a bad strategy but it just smacks of desperation. Just draft a better team than everyone else. I guess you can take a shot with 2 other guys who may show something in camp or benefit from injury but more than likely you're just dropping them in the waiver run before the first game to pick up a K and D.

But what is the harm then? If he was going to use his last 2 picks on K/D and instead takes other guys, then has to drop them to get his K/D. He probably isn't ending up with much worse players at K/D. Heck he could end up avoiding some kicker who gets hurt, or is cut after a bad pre-season game.

I wouldn't do it in my league because we pay for roster moves. If you have that, or if you have limited roster moves that would be a reason not to do it. In our league many people will draft 2 K/D while others will only draft 1, and then use those extra roster spots for sleepers. Later in the season they'll worry about covering the bye week for K/D, Its a similar strategy, more fliers now and required roster moves at a later date.

How does it smack of desperation? It's him putting himself in a position to take advantage of somebody else going into super desperation mode when their first or second round pick blows a knee.

It's a great strategy because if you were going to wait until 14/15 to pick your DEF/K anyway, then what's the difference? Not like u can get Seattle D there. There's almost no negative to this provided you are able to stream your defenses throughout the year, which I do anyway unless I have a hot team.

I'ts a long shot but worth it, as u can straight away cut them and pick up your K/DEF.

In fact I would do it, but ESPN makes us fill K and Def during draft.

Edited by Mustangt125

churning Kickers and defense isn't illegal in all leagues either.

Sure, draft a guy and hope for an injury. Kind of pointless unless you don't feel good about the rest of your team

Edited by Zooty

Sure, draft a guy and hope for an injury. Kind of pointless unless you don't feel good about the rest of your team

I'll have to stay in the agree to disagree camp here.

It's a no lose move. Kind of like dealing players you can't keep for picks so you get something for nothing. There's not a lot of difference between the flyer you take at RB/WR in the 13th/14th round as there in the ones you take in the 15th/16th round..... so - shotgun strategy and get as many as you can and keep the most promising ones post preseason.

Actually it's just the opposite. If you're drafting early, you're certain to have injuries. I have already had Vick Ballard go down for the year. We've seen 4-5 already and we're not done. It makes sense to me to have that ready made replacement on the roster rather than waiting for camp news and having to fight/overbid everyone else on waivers for him. Alfred Morris comes to mind most glaringly, but Julius Thomas, Nick Foles, Keenan Allen, Rashad Jennings, Zac Stacy, etc were all long shots in July that you strike gold with if you grab them.

I do agree you'll get better return if you can get the premium D like Seattle or maybe San Fran, but kickers and tier 2+ defenses I'd just as soon pass, get some extra lottery tickets, drop my injured players on the last waiver run, and hope to hit. If not it didn't cost me much, and what it did cost is too unpredictable to be concerned about.

You guys have convinced me to do it...now all I have to do is create a list of some guys that might go undrafted until that point.

I'm looking at Knile Davis and Roy Helu.

Anybody have some other suggestions? I know it's hard to predict, but any players that fit this strategy would be helpful.

Thanks guys!