[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

5th pick in 12 team Keeper league

mattheww

I have the 5th pick in my 12 team keeper league. I am keeping Leveon Bell in the 3rd round & Antonio Brown in the 4th, in hopes that I will go either rb-wr or wr-rb rounds 1 and 2 (most likely rb-wr, and LB and AB would be my rb2 wr2 respectively). My pre-draft strategizing is working under the assumption that any order of AP, Jamal Charles, Lesean and Forte will go 1-4, and I would obviously pick any of those if they were to slide to 5. However I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do with my 5th pick. (Note: Eddie Lacy is being kept)

As of now my thought process has led me to Marshawn, Arian, Demarco or Megatron but I'm not trying to be too cute with it. Marshawn scares me a little because of the holdout situation, his heavy workload and the thought of RBBC w/ Christine Michael, otherwise I'd peg him as the obvious pick. I like Calvin, but I feel that going rb with my first pick and wr with my second rounder would be more fruitful than winging it with a second round runner.

Please help me with input or any other suggestions as to what I should do. Thanks!

Edited by mattheww

Without knowing your scoring format, it would be difficult to offer any advice. With that being said, if this is standard league scoring league, I would say that you go Megatron or Foster. QB would be an option as well, but you would be looking at getting a true stud at one position. Megatron is an obvious stud and I think Arian bounces back this year.Just my 2 cents

Without knowing your scoring format, it would be difficult to offer any advice. With that being said, if this is standard league scoring league, I would say that you go Megatron or Foster. QB would be an option as well, but you would be looking at getting a true stud at one position. Megatron is an obvious stud and I think Arian bounces back this year.Just my 2 cents

Standard Scoring

Tough spot. Normally I would say Calvin there. You do have Bell as one RB but you choices at RB in non-PPR league in round 2 may be ugly and a reach. Since you have no 3rd or 4th you'd almost have to reach for a RB there though your options at WR will look better than any of the RBs left.

What are you roster requirements? I'm assuming you mist start 2 RBs but how many WRs and do you need a TE and/or flex? The reach wouldn't be as bad if you had to start 3 WRs then you could at least have 3 stud WRs in Calvin, Rd2 WR and Brown. If you only started 2 WRs and no flex I'd almost be forced to say you need to take Foster

And there is always the chance that CJ goes before you pick......

Tough spot. Normally I would say Calvin there. You do have Bell as one RB but you choices at RB in non-PPR league in round 2 may be ugly and a reach. Since you have no 3rd or 4th you'd almost have to reach for a RB there though your options at WR will look better than any of the RBs left.

What are you roster requirements? I'm assuming you mist start 2 RBs but how many WRs and do you need a TE and/or flex? The reach wouldn't be as bad if you had to start 3 WRs then you could at least have 3 stud WRs in Calvin, Rd2 WR and Brown. If you only started 2 WRs and no flex I'd almost be forced to say you need to take Foster

And there is always the chance that CJ goes before you pick......

1 QB 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST 1K.

In the case the CJ were to go before my pick id gladly take any of ap, charles, lesean or forte if they were still there. I know CJ is most reliable but Id be scared to wait to take my second rb in round 5, especially when some value rb's are being kept from last year. So as of now, even if CJ was there, in combination with my traditional rb stacking style of team building, I'd most likely lean rb round 1 then wr round 2

It is tough to say who to go when you don't know who the remaining keepers are. If everyone is keeping majority of RBs, then RB would be the way to go and vice versa. Plus it would depend on where those keeper slots fall relative to the draft itself. CJ gives you a certified WR1 along with Brown who is a solid WR1 as well. Bell has the ability to be a RB1 and I feel that you could grab a solid RB or QB in the 2nd round. Unfortunately, having to wait until the 5th to select again, makes it a little difficult. Do you know what players are being kept from the other teams and what rounds those fill?

It is tough to say who to go when you don't know who the remaining keepers are. If everyone is keeping majority of RBs, then RB would be the way to go and vice versa. Plus it would depend on where those keeper slots fall relative to the draft itself. CJ gives you a certified WR1 along with Brown who is a solid WR1 as well. Bell has the ability to be a RB1 and I feel that you could grab a solid RB or QB in the 2nd round. Unfortunately, having to wait until the 5th to select again, makes it a little difficult. Do you know what players are being kept from the other teams and what rounds those fill?

Not sure yet, looking into that. My other train of thought is if I got Megatron I could always reach on a RB in the second round seeing as I have leveon in the 3rd, and antonio is taking up my 4th. In the same vain, not sure if picking Mega then reaching on a rb in the second would make more sense than coupling a most likely solid rb in the 1st with a solid wr in the 2nd. As Zooty mentioned, there is also the possibility of drafting mega, then a wr in the second and having 3 very strong receivers with brown already.. but im scared of that prospect for finding an adequate rb2 in the 5th round

Edited by mattheww

I agree. You will be taking a risk either way. I believe that there will be more options at RB vs WR in the later rounds, so stocking your stable with solid WRs across the board will give you an edge over your opponents at that position on weekly basis, similar to taking Jimmy Graham early and having that advantage at TE week after week. Sometimes a good strategy is to be solid in one section on your roster and play matchups and waiver wire for one spot in another position

What other WRs are available?

If we, for the sake of this exclude QB and TE from consideration, then what WRs do you think are likely to be there in the 2nd round for you... same for the RBs.

If we assume that Calvin is the best WR likely to be there in the first, and let;s say Foster is the choice at RB assuming the top 4 go as you think they will, what is the likely combination of RB/WR you could get going each route. Then we simply draft the better combination.

With only 2 keepers per team, there will be a lot of good players available in the draft. Locking up Calvin Johnson to pair with Brown, then going RB2 in the 2nd round allows you to truly go BPA from the 5th on. The lack of PPR will actually boost Calvin's value IMO as he actually produces heavy yardage and scores and does not rely on lots of receptions for his fantasy value, unlike guys like say a Julian Edelman who have a ton of catches but not a ton of yards/scores.

I agree Big Country. My fear is that if I go Calvin, I won't have a great selection of running backs available mid-late second round whereas I believe most of the highest ranking WRs will be available. Will find out keepers and slots tonight

I agree Big Country. My fear is that if I go Calvin, I won't have a great selection of running backs available mid-late second round whereas I believe most of the highest ranking WRs will be available. Will find out keepers and slots tonight

You have to look at the whole - is Calvin plus an RB that is likely to be there in your 2nd round better than whichever RB you may get in the 1st plus whichever WR may be there in the 2nd.

You have to look at the whole - is Calvin plus an RB that is likely to be there in your 2nd round better than whichever RB you may get in the 1st plus whichever WR may be there in the 2nd.

I have a feeling that a RB and WR is going to be better than CJ and whatever RB he grabs in the 2nd. Too much drop-off at the position, no PPR and probably many being kept.

Plus if you take a RB in the 1st it opens you to the option of taking a TE in the 2nd instead of a WR....

I ended up suggesting similar in this thread also asking about the 5th pick.

Yeah I mean most people have Lacy over Ball but I think the Packers are more likely to split the carries up a bit more than Denver...

If Ball is blocking well and realizing even half his potential in that offense then he will be the guy until he goes down and then I like CJ Anderson....

In terms of wr that aren't being kept and are of second round value (other than CJ who's a surefire 1st rounder) - available WRs are everyone of high value except alshon. Then again I do have the 8th pick in the 2nd round (20th overall) and wouldn't be surprised if there was a slight run on receivers in front of me though I'm sure there would still be good wr talent on the board for my pick. It also may be important to note that in terms of high level RBs that would be available in the 2nd, Ryan Mathews, Gio, Zac Stacy & Ellington are being kept. Just don't want to feel like I'm reaching with my first round pick, if I were to take Arian (or any other RB for that matter) - but if I took Megatron I may have to reach for a RB with my second rounder - herein lies my dilemma

Edited by mattheww