[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting Software

Shorttynaz

Hey guys, just curious if anyone out there uses any sort of drafting software? For the longest time I would just print out the 1 page cheat sheet here from the Huddle customized to my league settings - and would just draft based on best available / gut instinct.

These past few years however I've been using a drafting software from footballpros.com (I think that's the site - I'll have to find it again). It's not to pricey, like $15, and you can either use their projections, or you can go in and manipulate them if you don't like their projections. You enter your league settings, draft order, etc..

The software then will tell you who the best available pick is when its your turn to draft, based on need/projections. It tracks all the teams and who they took, and will take that into consideration when it's your pick - meaning if it's a 10 team league, you can only start 1QB, 9 of them are off the board, it won't recommend one right away as all the other teams have a more pressing need at other positions, so it may recommend the best RB/WR/TE on the board instead of the best available QB. It will show you the best available at each position, but will also recommend who the best available overall player is.

The only downfall to their software is their stat/scoring categories aren't very robust. I can't tell it that we lose 2 points for a pick 6, or I get a bonus point for a 40+ yard passing TD - hard to project those things, but still - if it's something I need to take into consideration (as there's weekly payouts in my league for the weekly top scorer), I want to be sure I have something I can fully utilize.

The whole purpose of this message is to ask anyone if you use this type of drafting software, if so, what do you recommend? I thought the Huddle had some soft of offer with a partner or something, but I don't see that anymore (maybe I have to pay my subscription again first here - was hoping to land a free one, but I suck at DMD's contests). :)

Thanks for any input..

A couple years ago, I won a free subscription to a competitor of the huddle that has a drafting app for their subscribers. I can't say that I use it a lot in my drafts, but I have and it is adequate. Not sure it can take into account some of the wrinkles you mentioned... in fact, I know of no site or software that even projects for those completely random acts like an INT returned for a TD affecting a QBs score.

I'm still very much a printout in hand for my cheatsheet and a sheet of paper to track other teams kind of guy.

I think when drafting software I'd have to go with Microsoft Office as number one overall. It's not as sexy nor efficient a software as Apple's IOS but it's more versatile, even in a non-PPR(point per report) league. The news that there will soon be an Office version for IOS solidifies its top ranking, with IOS coming in at 2nd overall. While you need an operating system on which to run Office, you can easily pick up Windows 8.1 in the last round.

Edited by Tripleshot
  • Like 2

I've used DraftLab for the last couple seasons. I really like it and of course, you imput your league's scoring and it spits out a cheatsheet.

$20 bucks for Huddlers

• Like 3

I'm still very much a printout in hand for my cheatsheet and a sheet of paper to track other teams kind of guy.

+1

Not knocking anyone who uses draft software...I just prefer to do as much of the "thinking" as I can. Success or failure of my team is pretty much all on me and I like it that way.

Edited by Delicious_bass

the onus is still on you with the software. I mean, I'm not blindly picking the next off the list. What it does do though is it removes the need for me to hand write everyone's teams while giving me best available. Cool stuff. I still take a cheatsheet and cross off taken players. Not sure why I still do that though...guess I like to have multiple options showing me who they feel is next best available

So while using this draft software you guys are entering the picks made by each team? Which for some replaces doing that my hand (writing other team rosters).

We use a draft board so I can usually look at that to determine needs of each team and 1-2 cheat sheets I scratch names off.

I'd kill for an auctioneer program that could somehow be used in conjunction with a live draft. Nobody ever wants to be a payed auctioneer and I'm sick of diverting all my attention to running the draft rather then running my team.

I'd kill for an auctioneer program that could somehow be used in conjunction with a live draft. Nobody ever wants to be a payed auctioneer and I'm sick of diverting all my attention to running the draft rather then running my team.

Beer and food can usually get someone to do it.

I played auctioneer for a friends league last year.... they did it at Buffalo Wild Wings, just covered my food/drinks. It was pretty fun.