[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gronk worth a 5th Round Picks as my keeper?

ThatDude

This is the first year that our league of 14 years will introduce keepers. It's pretty simple rules, each team can keep 1 player from the previous years draft. Players drafted in the 1st or 2nd round cannot be kept.

Players must have remained on your roster the entire season. If a player is kept you lose a pick in the draft 1 round ealier than when picked last year. (Basically a 6th round keeper last year counts as a 5th round pick this year).

PPR League, a lot of bonus points for receiving yards and long TD's. No mandatory TE's but each team can theoretically play up to 4 TE's instead of WR's.

I took Gronk last year in the 6th. He fell due to injuries and of course I face a similar issue with him this year in regards to injuries.

Do you believe he is worth a 5th round pick this year? This is a no brainer if he's healthy but I got burned last year and I'm a bit worried.

Roster: (PPR League) (12 Teams)

1QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1Flex(RB or WR or TE), 1K, 1Def

Thanks!

Edited by ThatDude

Seems like he is almost 100% and his ADP is around the 3rd-4th round in a 12 team league so yes its a great value.

That ADP is based on a TE being required though.

If he stays healthy, he is realistically a low end WR2/upper mid WR3 caliber player.

That would put him as about a 5th round ranking for me, maybe almost 6th round. So your not really getting a deal on him valuewise.

It really comes down to who are you passing on keeping in order to keep him? If you think he is going to have a career, Jimmy Grahamesque year, then he's a pretty solid option. If you don't believe that, it's an average option dependent on what you are passing up to keep him.

Thx everyone. I dont have any other options from last year for a keeper to be honest. Yes we dont require a TE in our league but based on our scoring the top 2 TE's have always put up top 10 WR numbers in our leage and there's been a few season where 3 or 4 TE's were in the top 20.

I still wouldn't do it. TE required yes, all day. Fully healthy Gronkowski, yes, all day. As is, I'd rather take someone else. That 5th rounder is a guy like Harvin/Floyd/Hilton, all of which I take in a PPR all day over the risk.

I still wouldn't do it. TE required yes, all day. Fully healthy Gronkowski, yes, all day. As is, I'd rather take someone else. That 5th rounder is a guy like Harvin/Floyd/Hilton, all of which I take in a PPR all day over the risk.

I dunno. I think the risk with the 3 you mentioned is about the same as the risk with Gronk.

I'm meh on the idea.

I don't think you lose anything in doing it except maybe some draft flexibility (ie value screams take WR with your first 3 picks, but you have to pass on that since you have Gronk as a 5th and can now not use that pick to address RB, so you take a lesser valued RB earlier than you would need to)

The catch is that I don't think you gain anything. I don't think Gronk realistically has top 10 WR potential, and not that a lot of WRs available in the 5th do, I do think some WRs in the 5th may have higher upside/potential than Gronk.

End of the day, I don't think there is a right/wrong here. If it was your 3rd or even 4th rounder, it's an easy pass, if it was your 7th or later, it's a great value keep, the 5th or 6th is right where he should be taken in this format, so really nothing gained, nothing lost.

I think keeping him is smart...I may be biased here since I am a Pats fan. But I have been watching some video of Pats Practice and I think Gronk is actually moving better now than he did Pre-ACL injury. He looks more flexible thus more agile and shifty in his routes with more speed and I don't think he is 100% yet.

I also feel I have a good eye for this as I have been a Personal Trainer for 12 years and am now in School again working towards my Athletic Training degree (for those who don't know, those are the guys who run out on to the field when a player gets hurt) and will then get my Doctorate in Physical Therapy. I think we will see Gronk close to repeating his 17 TD season

Edited by PatriotBuzz