[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Andy Dalton

ImNotSoIgnorant

Somewhat shocked they gave him that money but I guess that's the market for quarterbacks right now. Dalton continues at his pace, even with the playoff stinkers, and his price goes up. The team locked in a "deal" while they could. They know more than we do when it comes to the numbers.

96 million? Sure in the third year its year to year salary, but 25 million first two years? Is he really that good? Confused.

http://www.fftoolbox...fm?news_id=7782

He was good enough to get them to the playoffs the past 3 years. The 25 mil gives them one more season to see if he is the franchise and another to tide them over while they groom a replacement. If he doesn't work out then they trade or cut him after year 2 and have a new guy ready to step in. If he does work out then his contract will still be decent in comparison. Personally I think he will play well enough to stick around, but will likely have to restructure his deal.

• Like 1

they got to the playoffs in spite of him, not because of him.....I will agree their entire offensive game plan was a joke last year and Gruden was to blame. Either way guarantees are only short term so its not as big of a commitment as it seems

I agree its short term then year by year, but 25 mil for two years is a lot of money for what seems to be a good QB, not a great.

Though it does make me curious to see if the coach/management are right about him in general and his potential.

Edited by ImNotSoIgnorant

96 million? Sure in the third year its year to year salary, but 25 million first two years? Is he really that good? Confused.

http://www.fftoolbox...fm?news_id=7782

The alternative is no QB, which is a death sentence. This is a good team with a strong defense, good talent at all other offensive positions, and a strong, established coaching staff. Their window to win is now. In case you haven't noticed, the last 3 Super Bowls have been won with guys like Dalton.

It's also an easy contract to extradite themselves from should they need to. There's no guaranteed money after this year and the cap hit is manageable should they just drop him altogether (they won't). Great QB's don't hit the open market, so their only choice is to draft and groom one or trade for one. Even if they go that route next year they need someone around for a transition period.

• Like 1

Speaking of highest paid NFL players this year (btw, I have no idea how accurate this list may be, or if it is accurate)

http://thechive.com/...ason-25-photos/

Please carry on with normal business.

I see they get their numbers from Spotrac which I've referenced before and some of the experts here agreed that their numbers are good, accurate and informative. http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/

I don't think this contract is bad, its become the going rate for a good QB. No he isn't great, there are only a few of those in the league and there are not new ones available every draft cycle. You want a QB with a bad contract, making too much money for his ability and production, look at Sam Bradford.

People talk about him being 0-3 in the playoffs, a certain future HOF QB named Peyton Manning also lost his first 3 playoff appearances. Not saying he is the next Peyton, but even great QBs can struggle early in their careers.

I'd rather be a Bengal fan with this situation than a Browns fan with musical chair QBs for the past 15 years.

He's a QB. QBs get paid. Get used to it.

The alternative is no QB, which is a death sentence. This is a good team with a strong defense, good talent at all other offensive positions, and a strong, established coaching staff. Their window to win is now. In case you haven't noticed, the last 3 Super Bowls have been won with guys like Dalton.

It's also an easy contract to extradite themselves from should they need to. There's no guaranteed money after this year and the cap hit is manageable should they just drop him altogether (they won't). Great QB's don't hit the open market, so their only choice is to draft and groom one or trade for one. Even if they go that route next year they need someone around for a transition period.

This to the bolded but the rest is all very good too.

The Bengals were really caught between a rock and a hard place with Dalton. Dalton is an average QB at best, but the rest of the team is way to loaded to start over with a new QB. I can't recall at lot of teams consistently making the playoffs that replace their QB. The Ravens replacing Dilfer is the only instance that comes to mind.

These contract numbers are all jokes. They paid Dalton $17 million. That's it. 2-year deal, $17 million guaranteed.

The rest of it is theory, conjecture, and agent marketing. He may not be great but neither was Dilfer or Rex Grossman and they both played in a Super Bowl. The Bengals are close - no reason to blow things up now.

I have Cam ranked 10th overall. I won't be surprised if he falls outside the top10. QB's I am looking at taking around 6th/7th round are Brady and Ryan.

As in QB10???

He has never finished worse than QB4 in his entire career.

I'd say Cam has both a higher floor and ceiling than all but Rodgers out of those guys.

Ryan and Brady have no rushing stats and Kaep has some unbelievably aweful games that Cam just doesn't have. Cam is a far better passer than Kaep in general.

Cam has had crap for WRs every year. I'd say getting Benjamin actually improves what he has to throw to from last year.

The coach can say what he wants, but the way Carolina wins games is by Cam running when the defense shows him open space. Regression from last season to his career average has Cam running more, not less.

I won't likely have any of those guys because I definitely believe in zero QB, but the only guys I have ahead of Cam are Manning, Rodgers, and Brees. I'd put Stafford right there with Cam, but not above him.