[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper league rules question

URSOLUSOB

Hi guys, need some input. I am commish on a leage that has been going a couple years and last year we decided to start doing a keeper league (prior to the draft so people drafted with this in mind for the 2014 year). Most rules were set, however, as it was decided somewhat close to draft day, it was set that some tweaks would most likely occur before this years keeper designation/draft day as more research and info became available for keeper rules that make sense.

Quick list of the keepr related rules:

• Players drafted in top 3 rounds are excluded to keep top talent available
  • Players can be kept twice and (original year; following year at original draft position and last year at original draft position + 2 rounds earlier - so player is drafted at 10, kept at 10, kept at 8)
  • Keeper value stays with trades
  • It's not mandatory to choose keepers - they'd just have their draft picks for all rounds if they don't choose any

We run a ten player league with large teams (26 Round draft - 2QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1TE, 3Flex, K, D/ST, 4 IDP and a big bench of 10).

First question: When is the best place to keep undrafted free agents? I see some people say at the end of the draft. Since we have IDP and a big bench, should the UFA keepers go around 18th (assuming that'd be about last round before factoring in 4 IDP, D/ST, K and two IDP bench spots)?

Second question: Should drafted free agents have their keeper value still be their original draft round? For players drafted and dropped for vaious reasons and picked up by others.

Third question: Would an option of giving up a player's 3 keepers of value picks to keep only one of the Round 1-3 excluded players (already on their roster) as their first round selection add balance to teams that did not get lucky with a UFA? - in other words, they don't have any good waiver wire pickups and their lottery tickets didn't pan out. If they had Charles on their team, they could choose to keep him as their only keeper and it'd be a first round pick for them.

• This would also present choices for someone with good value picks to say keep Foles and Ellington at UFA rounds or give them up to choose to keep say Peterson in the first.

Sorry so wordy, but I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Obviously, as you seem to be aware, all of this should have been decided well in advance of even drafting last year, as roster decisions have been made and at this point any decision made will affect teams differently.

That out of the way, my opinions on the matter:

1. I would sugest a 16th rounder as the cost for a FA. I say this because you have 16 positions in your starting lineup, so in order to keep a player, an owner is at least giving up a "starter" round pick. I would also suggest that if someone wanted to keep multiple FAs, the first costs a 16th, the scond a 15th, etc.

2. No. Once dropped, the player loses all ties to their original draft spot and should be considered a free agent for keeper purposes.

3. I wouldn't do this. You came in with a set rule of no top 3 rounds allowed to be kept, stick with it.

A little word from experience - generally speaking, the more complicated you make the keeper rules, the less enjoyment your owners will derive from the addition of keepers. Instead of being a fun addition to the game, it becomes a chore to figure out what a player costs to keep, etc.

• Like 1

1. We changed this from last round to 9th round a few years back, much better in the 9th round or mid to late draft in my opinion. Otherwise the values are so distorted.

2. yes, we keep them at whatever round they were drafted regardless of being dropped, traded, etc.

3. not a fan of this, i think the adjusted waiver round takes care of this unlucky waiver situation

Thanks for the feedback.

#1 I like Big COuntry's idea of using the last starting position as the place for UFA's. This keeps the values from being too distorted. End of the draft (26th round) is very out of balance for a Julius Thomas or Nick Foles from those who got lucky on waivers. Now, if you were willing to risk a draft spot on them at that position last year, then good for you and you are rewarded. And we will use an escalator for multiple UFA's so they go up by one round for each extra. Should it be owner's choice or go by ADP/pre-draft rankings to determine who goes in the 16th, 15th, 14th for multiples?

#2 I go back and forth on this. Currently we set it so keeper status is retained with trades; but we also have it lost if the player is dropped and claimed by waivers/free agency with a couple exemptions:

• • Tom Brady rule - If player is drafted & dropped due to season-ending injury/suspension/jail, etc. & subsequently picked up by another owner, he will cost the earlier of the Free Agent round or his draft position from previous year if he is picked up by another owner*.
    o *Subject to original draft round limitations (such as #1-3 exclusions).
    • Player’s keeper status stays with them if they are traded.
    • Player’s keeper status does not stay with them if they are dropped and picked up by another owner thru waivers*.
    o *If owner drops player & he clears waivers and is then picked back up by same owner, his keeper status remains the same.
  • Example - To prevent situations like if an owner drops injured player that was drafted in the 5th knowing he’s most likely to clear waivers & so he can pick back up in hopes to be able to use as keeper under free-agent status.

The Tom Brady & #1-3 exlusions rules is best exemplified by the injuries to Rodgers, Julio Jones, Doug Martin to name a few - guys that were taken out and once healed for this year would still be top draft picks and definitely unfair to let someone suck up IR guys at the end of the year for 16th round keeper status next season.

I will probably leave this be for the year and see if the owners want to make the keeper status stay or drop for both trades and waivers or not.

#3 I believe I've ruled this out after your thoughts and more consideration. I think a better solution was one I hadn't thought of until I read another thread here. Teams with poor/no keepers can work out draft pick trades with teams that have extra keepers that they can't keep prior to the keeper declaration date. We already allow draft trades during the regular season so I just need to make sure the teams are unloocked at this point. This wouldn't add/change any rules.

Edited by URSOLUSOB

#1 - I'd just let it be owner's choice.

#2 - I'm a fan of simplicity. If a player remains rostered (ie changes team via trade), he retains his keepr status. If a player is taken off a roster, the value is reset. Since he is going through waivers, every team has a chance at him (especially if you do blind bid waivers), so there is no reason for owners to complain.

#3 - Sounds good. Those teams can also just opt to not keep players/as many players and retain their picks. Sometimes this is better and a quicker rebuilding route than giving up a pick for a player and then giving up an additional pick to keep said player.