[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cutler

ImNotSoIgnorant

So my first draft of the year is this saturday. So I'm starting to do my own personal rankings. I'm ranking cutler as a top back up right now which seems about right to me, but i've seen him ranked higher on various websites. Even in the top 5. So I know he has two top WRs and a decent TE. But his playing history isn't all that exciting. I'm not too well versed in the bear's offensive line though. Anyway, I'm wondering what you folks think?

I would definitely rank him as a starting QB who will be a great value late. Bears O-line is solid and took a huge step forward last year, should be even better this year. It's the offensive scheme that makes his value higher though, Trestman knows how to put up points.

I think you will get a steal if have him as your QB1 and wait until one of the last people to take a QB while stacking other positions. If he is healthy all year he will be a top 10 QB and I wouldn't be surprised if he is top 5 (not sold on Stafford, RGIII or Cam this year). After the top 3 QBs I don't see any definitive #4.

I'll be targeting Andrew Luck, Brady and Cutler this year in my drafts.

• Like 1

I'm on board as well. I think its ironic that the Bears have 2 WRs ranked in the top 10, a top 3 or 4 RB who catches passes and a top 10-ish TE yet people are ranking Cutler around 15. Makes no sense to me. I enjoy grabbing him around 10-12 in drafts

The talk around town from the local media outlets is this is the sharpest he's looked in training camp since joining the Bears. He's only had a handful of picks in all the practices and majority were because of tipped balls. Just to provide some background, the media has never been this positive with Jay's abilities before. Typically the media around here has tended to rip him and/or the offensive system ever since he's been here (including last year).

All the questions have been about him holding up throughout the season though, and there haven't been any indications of additional actions being taken for him to remain healthy other then whats normally been done the last couple years.

Edited by Def.

The key to drafting Cutler is that you don't reach for him. There is some perceived risk with him (injury history, makes mistakes, etc) that is depressing his ADP. I am targeting him also, but if I miss on him I will be plenty happy with Rivers several rounds later.

Cutler certainly has a shot at a top 5 finish, but if you draft him like a top 5 QB then I think that is a losing proposition.

• Like 1

Key is he has the same offensive coordiantor/offense in back-to-back years. That hasn't happened much in his career. If he stays healthy, which has been a problem, he will put up numbers. I'm keeping him in my keeper league as a 12th round pick, very happy with that.

Some interesting info from MMQB:

• Chicago used six offensive linemen on 16 percent of plays last year—no other NFL team was above 10 percent—and they were excellent on these plays. In general, teams pass about one-fourth of the time when using an extra lineman, but the Bears passed on 47 percent of these plays. The Bears averaged 6.2 yards per play; of the 10 teams to use an extra lineman most often, the closest in yards per play was Atlanta at 5.0.

The key is healthy. He hasn't played a full season since 2009. Granted, he only missed one game each in 2010 and 2012. But the guy is just plain brittle. Still, he's well worth it at his current ADP which seems to be in the 8th-9th round in 12 team leagues. I would be awfully nervous with him as my QB1 though (which is why you almost HAVE to take a backup early if you get him).

The key is healthy. He hasn't played a full season since 2009. Granted, he only missed one game each in 2010 and 2012. But the guy is just plain brittle. Still, he's well worth it at his current ADP which seems to be in the 8th-9th round in 12 team leagues. I would be awfully nervous with him as my QB1 though (which is why you almost HAVE to take a backup early if you get him).

The normal strategy of waiting on a QB inherently includes the idea of grabbing a backup realtively early - sometimes even a 3rd QB - it's the basic premise of the QBBC strategy

12th round? If you're waiting with the hopes of getting him in the 10-12th, I'd plan on drafting a different QB.

He's going in the 8th-9th per MFL's current ADP results, and rightly so.

He may even be a steal at that price.

Edited by darin3

12th round? If you're waiting with the hopes of getting him in the 10-12th, I'd plan on drafting a different QB.

He's going in the 8th-9th per MFL's current ADP results, and rightly so.

He may even be a steal at that price.

if you're talking to me, I meant 10th -12th QB off the board. Though in my draft today he was the 8th guy off the board

Trestman, improved line and those receivers.....Cutler should have a career year!

Thanks for jinxing me guys.....just had him go 6 picks in front of me, in early 8th round as the 8th QB off the board.... I was really hoping he would make it back to me. Back to the drawing board on my QB plans I guess

:oops: Having had my original pick sniped I knew that if I didn't take Cutler there he would not make it back to my 9.11 pick. Have to admit this thread did convince me that I needed to take him where I did and not wait.

:oops: Having had my original pick sniped I knew that if I didn't take Cutler there he would not make it back to my 9.11 pick. Have to admit this thread did convince me that I needed to take him where I did and not wait.

He wasn't getting back to you for sure.... not sure he would have made it to me had you passed on him. If he had, I had the tough decision of taking him in the 8th even though all 3 teams picking after me had a QB already, or gambling that none of them would grab a backup early and snagging him on the comeback in the 9th.

Alright, so it seems cutler is a top 12, maybe top 5 QB. SO everyone where do you rank him in QBs?(Not adp)

As a side note i'm trying to figure out where to place him in my own rankings, and probably moving Foles down. Thoughts on this too?:

Peyton Manning DEN 4

Drew Brees NO 6

Aaron Rodgers GB 9

Matthew Stafford DET 9

Andrew Luck IND 10

Cam Newton CAR 12

Matt Ryan ATL 9

Tom Brady NE 10

Nick Foles PHI 7

Robert Griffin III WAS 10

Tony Romo DAL 11

Russell Wilson SEA 4

Colin Kaepernick SF 8

Ben Roethlisberger PIT 12

Philip Rivers SD 10

Also debating moving RGIII above Brady.

Alright, so it seems cutler is a top 12, maybe top 5 QB. SO everyone where do you rank him in QBs?(Not adp)

As a side note i'm trying to figure out where to place him in my own rankings, and probably moving Foles down. Thoughts on this too?:

Peyton Manning DEN 4

Drew Brees NO 6

Aaron Rodgers GB 9

Matthew Stafford DET 9

Andrew Luck IND 10

Cam Newton CAR 12

Matt Ryan ATL 9

Tom Brady NE 10

Nick Foles PHI 7

Robert Griffin III WAS 10

Tony Romo DAL 11

Russell Wilson SEA 4

Colin Kaepernick SF 8

Ben Roethlisberger PIT 12

Philip Rivers SD 10

Also debating moving RGIII above Brady.

Move Newton down, who's he throwing to?

I'd move Brady and RG3 over Newton/Ryan and drop Cutler right above those two.