[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Order Ideas

bdom11

A draw based on last year's reverse standings. So last place gets 12 names in the hat, 2nd last gets 11 until the winner gets just one ticket in the draw. Then draw it out either to decide the draw, means the weaker teams from the year before get the best chance to have a high draft pick but no guarantee. The draw itself is great fun.

I run a yearly re-draft league where 6 of the teams are local, and 4 are out of state. I can never get my schedule to coincide with another manager who is local to at least get two of us together to draw for draft spots. Here's what I do (just did it this past weekend).

I list the teams on a spreadsheet in the order they appear on the league page. I then take a deck of cards, remove the Ace - 10 of spades and set the rest aside. I shuffle the honda out of these cards, then start randomly drawing, 1st player on my list gets say the 5 of spades. 2nd player on the list gets say the 2 of spades, 3rd player gets the 8 of spades. I go all the way down till everyone has a randomly drawn card. I then start round 2. Bottom up this time. I keep doing this until the first player has had the same number fall his/her way 3 times. When that happens, that's his/her draft position. I remove that card from the deck. I do this all the way until every player has drawn the same card at least 3 times.

It's completely random, everyone in the league needs to have some level of trust (they all trust me) that they draft order isn't "stacked". I then email everyone a copy of the spreadsheet with all the #'s that were drawn. Everyone is ok with this type of selection. I have been doing this for 5 years now, and the best pick I've had yet is #4 (this year).

Like I said, it works well - good option if you're looking for a fair way to select draft spots, and most users are remote and/or you can't get together with league mates to select their own spots.

Edited by Shorttynaz

I run a yearly re-draft league where 6 of the teams are local, and 4 are out of state. I can never get my schedule to coincide with another manager who is local to at least get two of us together to draw for draft spots. Here's what I do (just did it this past weekend).

I list the teams on a spreadsheet in the order they appear on the league page. I then take a deck of cards, remove the Ace - 10 of spades and set the rest aside. I shuffle the honda out of these cards, then start randomly drawing, 1st player on my list gets say the 5 of spades. 2nd player on the list gets say the 2 of spades, 3rd player gets the 8 of spades. I go all the way down till everyone has a randomly drawn card. I then start round 2. Bottom up this time. I keep doing this until the first player has had the same number fall his/her way 3 times. When that happens, that's his/her draft position. I remove that card from the deck. I do this all the way until every player has drawn the same card at least 3 times.

It's completely random, everyone in the league needs to have some level of trust (they all trust me) that they draft order isn't "stacked". I then email everyone a copy of the spreadsheet with all the #'s that were drawn. Everyone is ok with this type of selection. I have been doing this for 5 years now, and the best pick I've had yet is #4 (this year).

Like I said, it works well - good option if you're looking for a fair way to select draft spots, and most users are remote and/or you can't get together with league mates to select their own spots.

Wow that seems overly complex and excessively random. But if it works....

Last year we had everybody draw a ping pong ball with somebody's name written on it out of a hat. Then we had 12 solo cups filled with beer with a number 1-12 at the bottom. We shot beer pong style. I thought it was a pretty cool random way to pick draft order.