[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joining a Keeper League, having less picks

delfamdelfam

So I joined a keeper league with a friend because they needed someone, and I've never done a live draft so figured it be fun. I have a few issues though:

1. You can only keep 1 player every year, but you are forced to keep someone. I feel you shouldn't have to keep someone and if you don't there should be a supplemental 1st round every year, is this common?

2. The guy I took the team off of traded his 1st, 3rd, and 5th round picks for this year so I'm down these crucial picks with no gain. Shouldn't there be even draft pick trading as I'm down three players now. Like I should have an extra 14th, 15th, 16th round pick to compensate.

3. If your trading all these picks like the guy I took the team from, shouldn't you have to pay for next year or at least half? Seems like it would make it easier to get a new owner or stop people from gutting their team.

1. No it is not common - nor is it uncommon - there are many different rules for how keepers are done. Many leagues have a fixed number and everyone must keep that number. Some have a fixed number, everyone must keep that many and you forfeit draft picks for those players (usually based on original draft placement, but another variable with a ton of options to it) Some have a variable number of keepers, and depending on if there is a "cost" associated with keeping players would determine how the draft is affected.

2. Again, most leagues do not have this... some do. Most leagues I have been in where it is a keeper league (and not a dynasty where the draft is rookies only) either gave supplemental picks AFTER the draft (ie, 16 round draft and you end draft with 14 players, you get two extra picks after the draft - along with anyone else who ended up with less than 16 players) or you would use a waiver period to pick up the extra players (just with no player dropped)

3. Yes, most leagues I am in with a keeper component only allow trading of future picks (or trading of early future picks - ie top 3-4 rounds depending on type of league) if you have prepaid for the following season.

Based on the situation you have described, if they don't allow you to take this season for free (or at least extremely discounted), I would be very hesitant to join. You are coming in at a severe disadvantage missing all those early picks in a league that only allows one keeper.

1. No it is not common - nor is it uncommon - there are many different rules for how keepers are done. Many leagues have a fixed number and everyone must keep that number. Some have a fixed number, everyone must keep that many and you forfeit draft picks for those players (usually based on original draft placement, but another variable with a ton of options to it) Some have a variable number of keepers, and depending on if there is a "cost" associated with keeping players would determine how the draft is affected.

2. Again, most leagues do not have this... some do. Most leagues I have been in where it is a keeper league (and not a dynasty where the draft is rookies only) either gave supplemental picks AFTER the draft (ie, 16 round draft and you end draft with 14 players, you get two extra picks after the draft - along with anyone else who ended up with less than 16 players) or you would use a waiver period to pick up the extra players (just with no player dropped)

3. Yes, most leagues I am in with a keeper component only allow trading of future picks (or trading of early future picks - ie top 3-4 rounds depending on type of league) if you have prepaid for the following season.

Based on the situation you have described, if they don't allow you to take this season for free (or at least extremely discounted), I would be very hesitant to join. You are coming in at a severe disadvantage missing all those early picks in a league that only allows one keeper.

Agree with all of the above. Not to mention, it sounds like you are questioning whether or not the team even has a player worth keeping, no? It's one thing to agree to take over a "rebuild" situation. It's another to take over a disaster that was created by other people's mistakes. This sounds like the latter... both in the sense that the previous owner created a mess, but also in that the rules need to be looked at (particularly in terms of paying ahead if you gut your team). I'd ask for a discount. If they're hesitant to do that, offer to pay in advance for 2015 (so that they know you're not going to walk after a free year), in exchange for having this year free.

there are players worth keeping, the team did gut his picks to win it all last year so there are 2-3 players worth keeping. I just don't play keeper leagues that often and wanted to know the norms for these types of leagues.

It's also a 10-team league so even though losing 3 picks is bad the player pool is deeper than a 12-teamer, plus I like challenges.

Answer to #1,2 and 3- it depends

#1- yes, usually but not always

#2- in most leagues I have been in that was the case. Trades with picks had to be equal

#3- Probably should be a rule but they got a sucker to take the team after he gutted it ;)

Agree with most others here

1. Our league is a 5 player keeper and every team has to keep 5. Others can and do have different rules

2. Every team in our draft has a full (18 man) roster after the draft is over. If I trade 3 picks in the 13 rouns we usually draft, I get picsk in 14,15,16. But you are picking from the dregs, so even if your league doesn't give you those picks you should be able to add the same type of players immediately after the draft (if the rules allow)

3. We have lots of trading of draft picks, but very little turn over in our league. We've never needed to require a team to pay in advance, but generally the idea is if an owner leaves the new owner will inherit that team with including any prior trade obligations (traded draft picks included) as well as their roster whatever the state.

Would have been wise to learn more about the team/league before agreeing to take it over. Good Luck.

I knew what I was getting into before I joined, I just wanted to know if these were the norms for keeper leagues. The thing with the league is it's with a a close knit group and the rules aren't really written down, the rules on myfantasyleague are still from 2010.

I just wanted to get in the league and figured I'd try to make it a little more professional as over half of these rules aren't written anywhere.

• Like 1

So I joined a keeper league with a friend because they needed someone, and I've never done a live draft so figured it be fun. I have a few issues though:

1. You can only keep 1 player every year, but you are forced to keep someone. I feel you shouldn't have to keep someone and if you don't there should be a supplemental 1st round every year, is this common?

2. The guy I took the team off of traded his 1st, 3rd, and 5th round picks for this year so I'm down these crucial picks with no gain. Shouldn't there be even draft pick trading as I'm down three players now. Like I should have an extra 14th, 15th, 16th round pick to compensate.

3. If your trading all these picks like the guy I took the team from, shouldn't you have to pay for next year or at least half? Seems like it would make it easier to get a new owner or stop people from gutting their team.

None of these are "should/shouldn't" issues, they are what the league wants. There is no right or wrong answer. That being said

1. Allowing someone not to keep a player is a copout. It discourages activity, and just lets owners coast and not work on getting good keepers "because I'll just get extra picks". Defeats the purpose of keepers.

2. There's no basis for this. In theory, he got "paid" for those lost picks in the previous trade. Maybe he got a couple extra rookies last year, or upgraded Flacco to Ryan or something.

3. Many leagues do require this at some for obvious reasons - both established dynasty league I am in do. I love Gopher's suggestion though.