[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting Cheat Sheets

Deez Nutz

Just curious on what some of you use as your cheat sheets while drafting.

I typically have 2 sheets:

1) One sheet with Ranking by Position in Tiers (based on my league's scoring) by the Huddle

2) An Excel sheet with 2 columns. First column is Top 150 ADP. Second column is Top 150 PPR ranking by the Huddle.

What do you use? Is there something that you use primarily, such as ADP?

Thanks!

ADP is a good tool but it's overused by some. Doesn't do a lot of good if you play in a league where you "can" start more than 1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, etc. I play in a league where we have a flex, superflex, and must start 2 DSTs. I throw ADP out the window..

i use ADP to map out where i feel I can target certain positions(usually do this a few hrs before the draft). This helps me plan out my drafts. while in my draft i use my cheatsheet that is tiered. I hate fumbling thru to many pieces of papers.

i use ADP to map out where i feel I can target certain positions(usually do this a few hrs before the draft). This helps me plan out my drafts. while in my draft i use my cheatsheet that is tiered. I hate fumbling thru to many pieces of papers.

That's why I'm asking. I'm kind of tired of crossing off names on 3 different lists as they're drafted

That's why I'm asking. I'm kind of tired of crossing off names on 3 different lists as they're drafted

I may go in with multiple sheets, but I typically mark players off only one. Plus, both of my locals use a sticker board.

The other two are online leagues that track availability. I don't bother crossing players off lists in those formats. I typically stock the 'preference/draft next' lists with the players at positions I'm looking for, to make sure I have a round in the chamber if there is a run among the owners and my pick comes up more quickly than expected. One of these drafts has a 60 second clock, and the other has a 90 second one. No time for cheatsheets.

Personally, I don't like that online format because players remaining are ranked, though that can work to my advantage if I want to dig a little deeper than what's currently 'in the list' to get a player I want.

(hell, time to stop posting...almost a word salad and I haven't had a beer in two days...)

Edited by CowboysDiehard

This can all be rectified with drafting software - I started using it cause we have a time limit on picks. When I started using it a few years ago - it was awesome. You can use their projections, or enter your own. It will keep track of everyone's picks, their needs, and even recommend players based on your league settings - you certainly don't have to follow those recommendations, but more times that not it's SPOT ON - easy way to identify players falling and players you just can't pass on. It also will show you ADP based on the last time you "imported" your updated projections. Only downfall to doing this is if you import projections, you lose all the projections you put in manually.

I know a lot of people are old school and like the one pager and pencil / paper, but dafting software is a must for me..

I typically make an Excel speadsheet of 12 teams, and put in who drafted what position (not including who they drafted). If you're sitting X picks away from your next pick, you can see who has what and predict what they'll draft depending on who you're eying. Regarding who they'll probably pick, ADP works well based on the latest data.

1. Top 150 Ranking from the Huddle

2. Tier Ranking from the Huddle

I cross names off from both lists as the draft moves along. All of my leagues have a draftboard that allow me to watch what other people are doing. Software would probably be better, but I'm still old school I guess.

I use the Tier-Ranked League 'X' custom Huddle sheets, + Top 200 (Huddle custom for that same league)

Then make a Grid similar to the CBS sports mock draft where they show you the 'Roster Grid' so I can kind of check who needs what at a glance and plan my pick(s) in adv. (I used to do a check or X just to fill the positions.. but this year I think I'll try to write in the players name, and pic number if its not going too fast.. That way Ill have the draft order as well).

I mark off the names on the tier sheet as they get called, as it helps to forecast potential Position-value, then use it, the grid and the top200 to help project my own (and sometimes opponents) potential needs/players and key on sleepers for their ADPs value.

Prior to the draft; I always check the most recent injury report. mark any players that are hurt or INJURED in Red pen if they were on my radar. hurt players go to the last rounds Injured players don't get drafted, Ill try for the waiver wire for them guys.

Simple method pretty good results usually. helps me avoid being "that guy' who calls a picked player..

and the grid helps me to decide if I want to start a run, or target value if I have a need in on a position run.

I may go in with multiple sheets, but I typically mark players off only one. Plus, both of my locals use a sticker board.

That is what I do, my main cheat sheet is what I cross off, the ADP and any other sheet is a secondary reference and I only look at players there who I've already identified are available on the main sheet.

Shorttynaz has a good point about drafting software, that is one reason I'm considering it to make things easier on keeping track of things across multiple lists. But doubt I'll have enough time to prepare for that this season. I can also see how much extra value that has in online or other drafts that impose a strict timer for picks (we haven't used a timer in years since people seem to do ok without it, and one less for the commish to deal with in a live draft).