[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is a minor turf toe really minor? (McCoy)

davesworld23

I won't pretend to be knowledgeable on the injury, but I would imagine that's why they classify it in different grades.

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/injury-pain/turf-toe.html

I would assume that the Eagles would not risk further injury by having him participate in practice, though, since it's not during the season and they could afford to sit him out for now.

Interesting pieces from the above article:

"What exactly is turf toe: Turf toe is a simple reference to what can be a complicated injury. There are tendons, ligaments, joint surfaces, nerves, and bones in the affected area. When the big toe is sprained, which is what usually happens in turf toe, any combination of those structures can be damaged."

"Turf Toe is the 3rd leading cause of loss of playing time among athletes (behind knee and ankle injuries)."

"50 Percent of athletes will have symptoms of turf toe five years after the injury."

"In first-time or minor injuries, 3-4 weeks may be adequate rest. However, in severe or chronic conditions, activity modification may be required for 2-3 times as long. In extreme cases where bone spurs are present and range of motion of the joint are limited, surgical management may be considered as well.”

Edited by Shorttynaz

I still cringe when I hear that word. I had a pretty minor case in both feet, tried to keep going through it, and was at best a shell of my former self. It certainly cost me any chance I ever had of a D1 career. He had better make sure he rests, and then some.

If it were no issue, no one would be talking about it. Its obviously some kind of issue as McCoy has obviously gone to the trainers about it or it wouldn't be known and/or a talker at all. It may very well be an issue he can play with, but I think its overly optimistic to say its not an issue. My $0.02

If it were no issue, no one would be talking about it. Its obviously some kind of issue as McCoy has obviously gone to the trainers about it or it wouldn't be known and/or a talker at all. It may very well be an issue he can play with, but I think its overly optimistic to say its not an issue. My $0.02

I agree with your point as this injury can linger. but that is part of my reasoning for not worrying as I do not believe he would of played at all ( like Avernes said ) until game 1 if it was more serious. the fact that he even practiced told me it was not the dreaded turf toe that many of us have dealt with with players before.

• Like 1

I agree with your point as this injury can linger. but that is part of my reasoning for not worrying as I do not believe he would of played at all ( like Avernes said ) until game 1 if it was more serious. the fact that he even practiced told me it was not the dreaded turf toe that many of us have dealt with with players before.

Exactly. ..it is not like his toe is 100% but the fact that he even dressed yesterday let alone played is a big deal to me. ..

I am still trying to move him for upside players in any league regardless because that is what I tried to do with him last year even haha....

Exactly. ..it is not like his toe is 100% but the fact that he even dressed yesterday let alone played is a big deal to me. ..

I am still trying to move him for upside players in any league regardless because that is what I tried to do with him last year even haha....

And, if anyone has had it badly you will know , nevermind practicing as you cannot even get your shoe on.

Exactly. .. let alone playing in a meaningless game

No argument on that.

He does have it, though, in Pre-season Week 3. He'll sit Week 4 I am sure but then it's intense pounding for at least 16 of the next 17 weeks. How it feels to him now is likely as good as its going to feel for a long time. And it would seem it bothers him enough that he told the team trainers about it already. Not saying I would alter my draft plans based on it but definitely something to be aware of and keep an eye on, IMO.

No argument on that.

He does have it, though, in Pre-season Week 3. He'll sit Week 4 I am sure but then it's intense pounding for at least 16 of the next 17 weeks. How it feels to him now is likely as good as its going to feel for a long time. And it would seem it bothers him enough that he told the team trainers about it already. Not saying I would alter my draft plans based on it but definitely something to be aware of and keep an eye on, IMO.

All depends on the severity. I have had them where I just threw a band aid around it and it was gone in a week and I have had it where I walk around with 1 shoe for a while.

That is the thing though. you know when it is so bad that you need to rest.

I do get your point though as to what if he does it again. I look at it like he is no different than if someone else gets it serious for the 1st time though.

I probably have him 2nd in a PPR 3rd at worst behind Forte and AP

Forte scares me schedulewise and the fact that they have so much talent at WR and bennett being no slouch either. then you add a nice pass schedule and I worry Forte takes a step back. also, he plays in a conference that may have the worst combined secondaries of any conference.

That being said he will be a force to be reckoned with and I would understand someone taking him 1st. that pretty much goes for any of the big 4 backs to me.

Forte scares me schedulewise and the fact that they have so much talent at WR and bennett being no slouch either. then you add a nice pass schedule and I worry Forte takes a step back. also, he plays in a conference that may have the worst combined secondaries of any conference.

That being said he will be a force to be reckoned with and I would understand someone taking him 1st. that pretty much goes for any of the big 4 backs to me.

I think that just means more catches for Forte