[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

partial keeper draft - need advice

Greetings to the forum -

We have a 12-team league that has been running for 30 years, with a mix of 10 veteran owners and 2 owners who have less than 3 seasons on the clipboard. Performance scoring, flex starting lineup QRXYWWKD where X can be R, T, or W, Y can be T or W, and there is no requirement for starting a TE. The full lineup is 14.

We have used a modified keeper draft, where the first and third rounds are options to keep a player from the previous season or draft from unclaimed players. Keepers are declared prior to the start of the round, and the draft order favors the weakest teams every round, i.e. the super bowl winner drafts last in each round.

I need advice. Keep Brees in round 1 or not? Ball and Bishop might be available; I draft last.

For the last 3 years, I have competed strongly by keeping Brees in round 1 and a top WR in round 3. I did not have a stud RB during this run. Last year's RB stable was Moreno (dropped to 6th), Vereen (8th), and Joique Bell (9th). I have used the same strategy - keep Brees in round 1, go against the flow to defer RBs to late and land top WRs while the other owners were grabbing RBs. Last year WRs were Nelson (3rd-K), Antonio Brown (2nd), Victor Cruz (4th), and Josh Gordon (5th).

Do I stay with the strategy or cut Brees and hope for the best for Ball or Bishop at the end of the round?

I love the 'do the opposite' as long as you 'hit' on one of those lesser RB's which since your accustom to doing it I would continue. Brees, Manning and Rodgers will be tops as usual, what killed you and me last year was Brees and NO's inability to do much on the road or against CAR who they played late in the year, Brees killed me last year but I would've never first round bye'd in the playoffs if I didn't crush foolz throughout the regular season. I'd say don't mess with what's been working. Although if I could get Ball near the end of rnd 1 I'm going that direction as I think upside he will be a rd 1 RB going into next season taking over for the very vanilla Moreno who had incredible numbers. Brees is a safer pick you should be able to count on at least what he did last year, but having a talented RB1 or RB1 in a situation like Montee has I'm ok with taking that risk outside the fab 4 (AP,McCoy,Charles and Forte).

• 2 weeks later...

I succeeded in getting Ball at 1.12. I considered a longshot chance that most owners would lock keepers in round 3 so Brees would come back at came back at 3.12 if the draft went crazy on RB2 and WR1 in round 2. This actually happened -- complete steal in my opinion. I'm set.

This might not have happened in a format where the keepers are announced ahead of time.