[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First season of fantasy football

Mrsemanas

What's up, normally I just bet on games and such while also running a football pool. I did some espn fantasy football like 8years ago with random strangers online for free but wasn't really into it. This season I decided to dive in and joined 2 fantasy football leagues with separate groups of friends if for low stakes of $. 1st draft is tomorrow, any advice? Wondering is there a free app or place to research players?

My typical thought process was draft QB(Drew Brees was the goal) 1st then head towards the RBs(fan or Matt forte) then hit wrs before cycling back for backup QB leaving TE and defense for last.

Any advice? Or a finger point in the right direction?

Edited by Mrsemanas

Yes, got to a site like this or fftoolbox and get their cheat sheets. Cheat sheet, just in case you do not know, is a ranking of players by their value done by the particular website/person/etc.

You don't go for QB first or later or whatever. Same for any position. You take the best available or what you need. Most people draft RBs the first round with exceptions like Calvin Johnson, Jimmy Graham, or Peyton Manning. The fall off in value in RBs is steep and there aren't many to go around and leagues almost always start two RBs at least each week. The fall off is much greater for QBs, but unless its a two QB league you only start one. Thus its easier to take a QB later on than it is to fill both RB starting slots decently. Peyton Manning and Brees are exceptions since they score so damn much in a fantasy setting as well as real life. TEs generally are drafted later, except the ones who get huge fantasy points like Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, or Julius Thomas. And of course with someone like Gronk you have to worry a bout his injury history. Graham is higher ranked, but Gronk scores more than Graham when he plays, but gets injured a lot.

Its also important to note how many players at each position you're starting, what the scoring system is, how many teams are in your league, and making sure that the back up/bench players you draft do not all have the same bye week as your starters. So when your starter has a bye week you can fill their slot with the back up.

WRs have a lot more depth this year, but generally people scoop up RBs early on regardless. The depth of WRs means you can wait to draft them later. Also is the draft a 'snake' draft? Easy to look up an explanation online.

Also people generally leave their last pick for their kicker, but not always. People usually draft Defenses in the later rounds of the draft, even the top ones like the Seahawks or 49ers.

Cheat sheets are necessary unless you're drafting on a website like espn. Even if you have a very good memory of players its hard to keep track of who has been taken during the draft. So as the draft progresses you check off/draw a line through/etc. players who have already been picked. If the website does it for you then you don't have to, but I do it because my own personal cheat sheet/player rankings usually aren't the same as the websites.

What's up, normally I just bet on games and such while also running a football pool. I did some espn fantasy football like 8years ago with random strangers online for free but wasn't really into it. This season I decided to dive in and joined 2 fantasy football leagues with separate groups of friends if for low stakes of $. 1st draft is tomorrow, any advice? Wondering is there a free app or place to research players?

My typical thought process was draft QB(Drew Brees was the goal) 1st then head towards the RBs(fan or Matt forte) then hit wrs before cycling back for backup QB leaving TE and defense for last.

Any advice? Or a finger point in the right direction?

Read the "Zero QB Theorem" article in my signature. Edited by keggerz