[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft strategy needed, new league, new rules, PPR!

dfine

My league folded this year after 21 years. I have always been in a 10 team non PPR league. This year I am doing an online league which is high stakes. It is a 12 team PPR league with 20 rounds.

I have the 9th pick in the draft which is serpentine.

Here are the rules:

Starting Roster

• 1 QB
  • 2 RBs
  • 2 WRs
  • 1 TE
  • 2 flex players (RB/WR/TE)
  • 1 K
  • 1 D/ST

Scoring system

• 4 points for passing TDs, 6 points for all other TDs
  • 0.05 point for every 1 yard passing
  • -1 point for every interception thrown
  • 0.1 point for every 1 yard rushing or receiving
  • 1 point per reception for RBs and WRs
  • 1.5 points per reception for TEs
  • 2 points for 2-pt conversion
  • 1 point for PAT conversion
  • 3 points for every FG of 1 – 30 yards plus 0.1 point for every yard thereafter
  • 1 point for D/ST sack, 2 points for all turnovers
  • 6 points for all D/ST touchdowns
  • 5 points for every safety
  • 12 points for every shutout
  • 8 points for allowing between 1 – 6 points
  • 5 points for allowing between 7 – 10 points

I need strategy for the first few rounds, especially the first 3 rounds. TE's get an interesting advantage with 1.5 PPR.

The 9th pick seems pretty difficult this year. In mock drafts, I have seen Eddie Lacy, Jimmy Graham, Demaryius Thomas and Montee Ball be available. I am really having a hard time deciding how to go. In the past I have taken a RB in the first, usually a top QB in the second and a RB in the 3rd, but that was NON PPR. With QB's getting 4 points for TD's, I am not sure to take a QB that early.

I have also been told go with the best player available.

I could go RB, WR, RB in the first 3 rounds. I could just wing it and use my projections and the best player available.

What would your advice be in this type of league.

Thanks.

Given its TE mandatory, TE can be used in the flex, AND TE gets .5 more per catch, I'd go Jimmy Graham at 9 if he's there. If he's not, then I would say you go with the BPA amongst RB/WR the first 3 rounds for sure and likely beyond. Your lineup requirements (coupled with the number of good QBs) lead me to believe stocking up on as much talent at RB and WR and waiting on QB is your best strategy. Not that that's not the best strategy in most cases...

• Like 1

Draft in 2 days. Any last minute advice? All the mocks I do, the 4 players available at 9 in D Thomas, Dez, sometimes Lacy and most of the times Montee Ball. My first two picks I usually want a RB and WR. If I take Thomas or Dez at 9 it seems I could get Gio or Doug Martin, but of course you never know. If I take Lacy or Ball at 9, most likely Julio or Jordy Nelson are available. Which way would you go? I have tried scenerios taking Graham, if he is available, and my team is never great.

Looks like it's 1 point every 20 yards instead of 25 yards as well. If Jimmy Graham is available, take him. Make sure to reach for a solid TE early in your draft. And just like any PPR league, players like Alfred Morris who don't catch are worth much much less.

I'd probably take Julio over Jordy Nelson as well if you had that decision.