[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Swifter02

I've mentioned it elsewhere but this guy could potentially be the steal of the NFL draft.

Let's not forget, this guy was getting mentioned as not only the 1st QB off the board, but potentially the first pick overall. The Texans badly need a franchise QB but opted for the difference-maker on defense. I can't say I blame them, I think Clowney is the best player in this past draft, but man, Bridgewater looks good.

I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I think there may be some racial "profiling" here. Please don't misconstrue what I'm saying here. He's a black quarterback who does his best work IN the pocket. He's not Mike Vick. He's not Cam Newton. Sure, he can move around in the pocket and run a little bit if he must, but Bridgewater is a pocket passer.

And this is what scouts may have been shying away from on him. He's built slightly and if he's going to sit in the pocket and take hits, he's going to get hurt. Fast. He needs to add some bulk.

Another point I don't want folks to read into TOO much, but he reminds me of a very raw Drew Brees. He works his progressions well and has a stronger arm than folks give him credit for. Will he unleash a 70-yard laser like Joe Flacco or Philip Rivers? No, probably not. But he zips the ball into spaces after working his progressions. That is an excellent sign, especially for a young QB that'll be groomed by Norv Turner.

The Vikings need to be careful with him. He needs NFL seasoning and, as mentioned earlier, needs to develop his body a bit. Rushing him into the starting lineup would be unwise. The Vikes have a capable starter right now who's looked good in spots himself. There's no need to rush Bridgewater in.

So with that said, I can't gauge his redraft value. I don't know how short Cassel's leash is, nor do I know if the Vikings would throw the rookie in or, if they end up keeping him, go with Ponder. I tell ya though, if he DOES end up starting this season, it is because they feel he's ready... and these guys know infinitely more than me. So if he's named the starter then yeah he would interest me fantasy-wise for redraft leagues.

In dynasty formats, I'm kickin' myself that I missed out on him in 4 leagues. :sad:

Edited by darin3

As a MN homer I feel like the poise he shows is what makes him special... week 2, last minute drive to win the game and he EXPECTED to go down the field and win it... week 3, he gets back to back,1st and goal from the 5 yd line and CASHES IN both times! LIke an NFL QB should... JUst saying he has the look of a NFL QB, the kind that goes for the jugular late in games and when you give him a freebie. Now does he need to do this vs #1s, ABSOLUTLEY, but I like what I see so far, let CAssel hold down the spot until he is ready... then maybe we finally have our guy... but then again I am a homer.

Edited by dfv87

Bridgwater throws his receivers "open," and that is hard to teach. His intermediate passes to both the right and left sides of the field have been spot on, and his fades at the end of preseason game 2 and 3 were a thing of beauty. I believe Teddy is trending upwards, and would have no problem with him sittiing all or part of this season to learn.

• Like 1

It is only a matter of time but I also think he needs to watch some and get stronger with the playbook as the #1 defenses will scramble his brain (or any rookie's brain). But I think he will get it... I REALLY hope he does anyway.