[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats trade Mankins to Bucs for Tim Wright.

Do Work Son

As far as I know Mankins is still a beast on the line so this trade is kind of surprising.

But this is a fantasy site so I'm wondering how this impacts Tim Wright? I would assume his value just sky rocketed especially with the tools this kid has and the success of TEs in this offense. I'm also a little nervous being a Gronk owner(well even more). What are your opinions on all this? Are you scooping Wright up ASAP?

*also think this gives a little uptick on Doug Martin

Sounds like the Pats are concerned about Gronk, or they want another TE to do 2 TE sets. I read there was some kind of conditional pick involved in the trade as well. Hard to believe they'd give up a very good OL for somebody that isn't going to play a big role. I'm sure the reporters will be peppering BB with questions about Gronk, and this trade and what it all means.

Don't know much about Wright but that has to increase his value, and could drop the Who Man (Pats #2 TE Hoomanawanui) down some.

Good for Doug Martin, Good for Austin Seferian-Jenkins & good for Tim Wright.

I picked up Wright in my dynasty and had good hopes for him after the season ended until they drafted ASJ. In New England I think he could be even better with or without Gronk. Maybe he will end up being what they hoped to get out of Aaron Hernandez.

Still not sold on Doug Martin, even with this trade.

Big bump up for ASJ and maybe Myers in the very short term.

And huge, huge bump for Tim Wright. He looked great on a crappy team, imagine what he can do even as the #2 TE for the Pats?

Mankins play has fallen off but he'll still be a positive add for the Bucs. File this one as a win-win. The Pats also are getting a pick in the deal.

I'm not worried about Gronk due to this deal. Since they lost Hernandez their TE depth has pretty much sucked. If anything this hurts a guy like LaFell who I thought had some sleeper value going on.

Not worried about Gronk. They literally have been playing OT's at TE this pre-season. They had 0 healthy TEs, and even when healthy, they only had one pass catching TE. Hoo-man is an extra OL and can't catch anything. This should allow Pats to continue using 2 TE sets.

Mankins is 32, is a run blocking beast, but struggled in pass protection last year. I think I heard he allowed 12 or 13 sacks last year, which is a lot for a Guard.

This is BB selling high on a guy he probably views as being on the downside, if even just slightly. Cleared a lot of cap space to perhaps extend guys like McCourty, Gostkowski, Connoly, Solder, Slater, and Vereen, all could be FA at end of the year. Not to mention Revis.

This is not so much a strike against Gronk as it is the Pats wanting to get something back for Mankins and his declining skills since he wasn't going to be with the team next year. However, this also protects the Pats in case Gronk gets hurt again and it also gives them somebody to replace Hernandez so that they can once again have the dynamic duo at TE like they did a couple years ago. Wright sucks as a blocker but is great in the open field. He's actually closer to being a WR than a TE.

Tim Wright just got elevated on my TE list. Seems like every player the Pats trade for on one of Florida's teams turns into fantasy gold. Wright came on pretty strong late in the "fantasy" season last year.

I think this bumps up Martin a little on my list too. He's got the keys to the car with no one eating into his carries - make or break year for him. I already liked him to bounce back some this season, but with an upgrade to the O-line he deserves an upgrade on my list as well..

Does he really have a shot? At being the #2 or is he just going to be an insurance policy? I could see Gronk owners reaching but is he really worth a day one draft position is my question? He will be available on waivers for sure....

:huh:

The Pat offense utilizes 2 TEs, even simultaneously.

This is not just an insurance policy, although it could be construed as both a guy that could take some of the "move" TE looks as well as a "#1 TE" backup in case Gronk gets hurt... again.

Sudfeld 2.0

:huh::huh:

Come on. Sudfield was a pre-season darling that blew up and the fantasy community bit. Hard.

Wright has proven himself in the regular season (albeit just in one season, and only a handful of games) and is light years beyond what Sudfield is/was.

As a Gronk owner this scares the crap out of me........ I'm gonna pick him up just in case. All Gronk owners should.

I think he fills the 2 TE set Hernandez role. He's more WR than blocking TE. In garbage time, Gronk isn't going to be on the field, so he could have value if he can hang onto the ball.

As a Gronk owner myself, this move actually gives me a sense of security (assuming my waiver for Wright clears in the morning). Part of me hopes this doesn't mean the Pats know something about Gronk's health that I don't, but mostly it just assures me that I will 1 - have a possible Gronk/Hernandez combo equivalent and 2 - that if Gronk happened to go down (knock on wood), I have Tim Wright catching passes from Brady as opposed to Jared Cook, who I am dropping in his place.

"Tampa Bay Buccaneers TE Timothy Wright has been struggling with his catching and blocking during practice, according to head coach Lovie Smith. 'He's dropped some balls. If you watched practice, he's dropped balls. But he's a big part of what we want to do with the two-receiver, two-tight-end set. Tim hasn't blocked as well inside. Once you're that H-back and you don't block, now they say you're just another receiver and teams start going nickel. If they do that at least you have to be a good pass catcher. Tim's a good player. He just hasn't played as well as he needs to lately,' Smith said. Wright may have to compete with TE Luke Stocker for a roster spot if he does not improve his play.

This might have something to do with the trade, as well as the plethora of capable TEs in TB. This info was from August 17th player news on the Huddle. It really surprised me reading this as T.Wright really came on strong the last 5 games or so last year, with some monster games thrown in there. I had him pegged as one of my TE sleepers this year and picked him in a bunch of rts leagues. Not too sure what to think of the trade, but could turn out to be a pretty good upgrade with Brady throwing him the rock. Undoubtedly, it will take some time to learn the system and get on the same page as BB and Brady to even sniff the playing field.

Edited by heehawks

:huh:

The Pat offense utilizes 2 TEs, even simultaneously.

This is not just an insurance policy, although it could be construed as both a guy that could take some of the "move" TE looks as well as a "#1 TE" backup in case Gronk gets hurt... again.

:huh::huh:

Come on. Sudfield was a pre-season darling that blew up and the fantasy community bit. Hard.

Wright has proven himself in the regular season (albeit just in one season, and only a handful of games) and is light years beyond what Sudfield is/was.

Agreed, more of a joke than anything poking fun at the immediate hype. Just like last year a lot expected sudfeld to be a beast because why not? He's in new England and every player becomes productive there. I was guilty too of these high expectations.

There is a chance this could be sudfeld 2.0 though with all the instant hype...

The New England Pats was agreed to a big trade Tuesday, sending Logan Mankins to the Tampa Bay. The move was seem to indicate that the bucks, who were not deep at the offensive line positions.

Spamtastic stuff here.

• Like 1