[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stevan Ridley, off Patriots roster maybe?

rotonator

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/8/25/6065255/patriots-roster-cuts-could-stevan-ridley-be-released

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4766441/new-england-patriots-projected-roster-6

Those three players don't figure to be the only at least somewhat-surprising cuts the Patriots make before getting to 53. In hismost recent roster projection, ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss had Stevan Ridley amongst his projected cuts.

Reiss calls it a "hunch" and bases his prediction in part off the meager 11 snaps Ridley saw in the team's "dress rehearsal" on Friday against the Panthers.

If he gets released, what does it do to his value, do you think any team could pick him up and use him as a starter? 2 or 3 years ago, didn't Ridley had a very good year? Could his value increase if he was release than his value on the patriots?

Also what does this mean for the Patriots RB situation, is Vereen still the guy to own?

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/8/25/6065255/patriots-roster-cuts-could-stevan-ridley-be-released

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4766441/new-england-patriots-projected-roster-6

If he gets released, what does it do to his value, do you think any team could pick him up and use him as a starter? 2 or 3 years ago, didn't Ridley had a very good year? Could his value increase if he was release than his value on the patriots?

Also what does this mean for the Patriots RB situation, is Vereen still the guy to own?

Why would vereen not still be the guy to own if ridley was cut? Honestly curious.

I think vereen was and will be the guy to own

Why would vereen not still be the guy to own if ridley was cut? Honestly curious.

I agree with you, Vereen was and still is the guy to own. I don't think Ridley gets cuts but if he does, somebody will scoop him up.

Yeah, guess that was poor wording on my part. But I am interested in how much running will Vereen will be involved in, rather than just passes.

Not sure why they would cut him, he at least depth on the bench, he would get picked up immediately? They might be trying to trade him and this is just a way to get his name all over the place. Being a giants fan, i know, I'd take him. The NFL is about depth, is your 2nd as good as the next guys, that what pre-season really is 2nd and 3rd string guys battling it out for a roster spot. in my mind he is a keeper for that reason lone.

Not sure why they would cut him, he at least depth on the bench, he would get picked up immediately? They might be trying to trade him and this is just a way to get his name all over the place. Being a giants fan, i know, I'd take him. The NFL is about depth, is your 2nd as good as the next guys, that what pre-season really is 2nd and 3rd string guys battling it out for a roster spot. in my mind he is a keeper for that reason lone.

Why would the Giants want him when they already have Peyton Hillis, Michael Cox and the rookie Andre Williams? Ridley is in the same mold as these guys, by and large.

Ridley is just another average back but played in a great offensive system. NE cranks out decent fantasy backs who go on to do nothing. Stevan Ridley, Brandon Bolden, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, etc. etc.

You know, as much as we all want to see Vereen do something, he has never gained more than 251 rush yards in a season. Last year was his busiest ever with only 44 runs and 47 catches.

Ridley is just another average back but played in a great offensive system. NE cranks out decent fantasy backs who go on to do nothing. Stevan Ridley, Brandon Bolden, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, etc. etc.

You know, as much as we all want to see Vereen do something, he has never gained more than 251 rush yards in a season. Last year was his busiest ever with only 44 runs and 47 catches.

Yeah Vereen is not gonna turn into a monster in regard to carries. His value is in PPR leagues catching all those passes. I could see him catch 60-70 passes this year.

Generally true but BJGE went on to have a good year in CIN after leaving NE, approx 280 carris, 1100 yards, 6TDs. Sure he didn't put up the TD number but that is hardly a do nothing season.

Generally true but BJGE went on to have a good year in CIN after leaving NE, approx 280 carris, 1100 yards, 6TDs. Sure he didn't put up the TD number but that is hardly a do nothing season.

yawn:

3.9 ypc and a weak TD total? In ONE season. Meh.

Edited by darin3

This news seems like a planted seed by the Pats, imo. Too much noise too soon, everyone is jumping on this. Ridley will not be cut. As someone who was drafting Ridley in many leagues before this news as a sleeper RB, I'm happy that his value decreases even more as I have a few more drafts to go. I'm still gambling on Ridley this season as a back that has legitimate 1200/12 potential. Obviously, if he puts it on the ground a couple of times to start the season, that potential decreases exponentially. However, I'm a buyer of Ridley this season without question. Vereen is not a lead back, that is very clear. James White is not the answer and Bolden is never healthy.

Just my point 02.

E2A: I just want to clarify that I'm a buyer of Ridley based on his value so far this season (round 8+). He is the type of player who fits my draft strategy, where I typically avoid RB until round 4+.

Edited by Brentastic

This news seems like a planted seed by the Pats, imo. Too much noise too soon, everyone is jumping on this. Ridley will not be cut. As someone who was drafting Ridley in many leagues before this news as a sleeper RB, I'm happy that his value decreases even more as I have a few more drafts to go. I'm still gambling on Ridley this season as a back that has legitimate 1200/12 potential. Obviously, if he puts it on the ground a couple of times to start the season, that potential decreases exponentially. However, I'm a buyer of Ridley this season without question. Vereen is not a lead back, that is very clear. James White is not the answer and Bolden is never healthy.

Just my point 02.

E2A: I just want to clarify that I'm a buyer of Ridley based on his value so far this season (round 8+). He is the type of player who fits my draft strategy, where I typically avoid RB until round 4+.

Couple things, Ridley will never hit 1,200 and 12 TDs. He'll be lucky to get closer to 200 carries and approach 900 yards with 7 or 8 scores.

Also, who's to say James White isn't the answer?

ETA: I've also invested in Ridley as a later round guy with some upside. So, hope he hits the high water mark you think he can.

Edited by irish

Couple things, Ridley will never hit 1,200 and 12 TDs. He'll be lucky to get closer to 200 carries and approach 900 yards with 7 or 8 scores.

Also, who's to say James White isn't the answer?

ETA: I've also invested in Ridley as a later round guy with some upside. So, hope he hits the high water mark you think he can.

To bolded number 1: Really? 2012 says you're WRONG!

To bolded number 2: You're right. He's totally unknown. That also means he's unproven. He was drafted at the very end of round 4. The likelihood of him being fantasy relevant is slim. Nothing is absolute, but he has a slim chance of success. Ridley was an early 3rd rounder and has actually produced in the NFL.

Again, nothing is absolute, but I would take this bet all day based on probability alone, regardless if I knew anything or not about fantasy football.

To bolded number 1: Really? 2012 says you're WRONG!

To bolded number 2: You're right. He's totally unknown. That also means he's unproven. He was drafted at the very end of round 4. The likelihood of him being fantasy relevant is slim. Nothing is absolute, but he has a slim chance of success. Ridley was an early 3rd rounder and has actually produced in the NFL.

Again, nothing is absolute, but I would take this bet all day based on probability alone, regardless if I knew anything or not about fantasy football.

Yeah, like I said I hope I'm wrong about Ridley as I've taken him later in drafts. However, unfortunately, I don't think I am. Like I said, I'm thinking that he tops out at 900 yards at best with 7-8 TDs and there's a likelihood that his stats are less because the Pats want to see what the combo of White and Vereen look like moving forward, especially with Ridley being in the final year of his contract. I don't care what round White was drafted in, playing for the Pats, they'll make it work. Living in the past when it comes to fantasy production isn't always a good thing and can bite you in the ass. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league and Ridley has done more fumbling and the Pats won't hesitate to bring White along to take Ridley's job.

Edited by irish

Yeah, like I said I hope I'm wrong about Ridley as I've taken him later in drafts. However, unfortunately, I don't think I am. Like I said, I'm thinking that he tops out at 900 yards at best with 7-8 TDs and there's a likelihood that his stats are less because the Pats want to see what the combo of White and Vereen look like moving forward, especially with Ridley being in the final year of his contract. I don't care what round White was drafted in, playing for the Pats, they'll make it work. Living in the past when it comes to fantasy production isn't always a good thing and can bite you in the ass. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league and Ridley has done more fumbling and the Pats won't hesitate to bring White along to take Ridley's job.

Do you actually think the Pats will risk wins for the sake of "seeing what they have" with the combo of White/Vereen? I can tell you definitively that they will not do that. The Pats will play the guy who gives them the best chance to win games. If Ridley can hold onto the ball, I believe Ridley is that guy. Ridley has actually proven he can do it. He was doing it last season until he decided to go on a fumbling spree.

Listen, I understand he has to get the fumbling under control. I have to assume he has a very short leash. I get it. But, you can get him in round 10+ at this point. He will get another chance and IF he hangs on to the ball, he could very well produce as a RB1 in fantasy. We know that he can produce in this offense.

Do you actually think the Pats will risk wins for the sake of "seeing what they have" with the combo of White/Vereen? I can tell you definitively that they will not do that. The Pats will play the guy who gives them the best chance to win games. If Ridley can hold onto the ball, I believe Ridley is that guy. Ridley has actually proven he can do it. He was doing it last season until he decided to go on a fumbling spree.

Listen, I understand he has to get the fumbling under control. I have to assume he has a very short leash. I get it. But, you can get him in round 10+ at this point. He will get another chance and IF he hangs on to the ball, he could very well produce as a RB1 in fantasy. We know that he can produce in this offense.

I agree with all of this and that is why I've drafted him in leagues but I'm probably a little less optimistic than you. The only piece I don't agree with there is the #1 RB possibility. Even with his great numbers in 2012, he didn't finish in the Top 10, he was 15th or lower, which would place him as a High end #2 in 12 team leagues, although he would be considered a low-end #1 in 16-teamers (PPR leagues).

Edited by irish

This news seems like a planted seed by the Pats, imo.

I have no idea if Ridley is getting cut or not (seems a bit nuts) but the Pats do not "plant seeds." They just whack you. No games in the media like other teams, or other Boston sports franchises.

Mike Reiss seems like a very good journalist and I'm not sure he'd go for a plant regardless.

I have no idea if Ridley is getting cut or not (seems a bit nuts) but the Pats do not "plant seeds." They just whack you. No games in the media like other teams, or other Boston sports franchises.

Mike Reiss seems like a very good journalist and I'm not sure he'd go for a plant regardless.

I probably should have been more clear. What I meant by planting seeds, is that I think the Patriot organization is the source of these rumors with the intention of misleading their opponents into thinking Ridley won't be on the roster, or at the very least, won't be playing week 1.