[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breakout Young WRs: Rank Them

eataylor87

I think there's a tier of WRs just below the obvious guys (Michael Floyd, Alshon Jeffery, TY Hilton types) of young WRs that won't be drafted above the 8th or 9th round or in auctions be more than $5-6, with the exception of Cordarrelle, who's hype-train is off the charts. This is meant to start a discussion on who everyone thinks are the best breakout candidates at WR, besides the guys who have already broken out.

1. Cordarrelle Patterson - already pretty hyped up ... so he wouldn't come cheap. But I am intrigued by his size, and his potential in the Norv Turner system (Hello Josh Gordon) and comparison to JG's 1st year stats make him a prime candidate to explode.

2. Justin Hunter - Very limited targets last year, but he's a TD machine, statistically. He's also got great size.

3. Kendall Wright - PPR monster, just needs to find endzone more. Not sure who I like more between him and Hunter.

4. Brandin Cooks - See below with Stills ... but Cooks has potential to be a monster.

5. Kelvin Benjamin - I fear that Cooks and Benjamin are being overhyped ... and statistically rookie WRs just aren't good fantasy options ... but Benjamin is being put in a position where he very easily could succeed. He's been inserted as the obvious #1 target for Cam in Carolina, and he's shown in pre-season that his hands (biggest knock entering the draft) are not a concern. Could have a monster year.

6. Terrance Williams - With Dez commanding double-teams, Williams could really emerge as the #2 WR in Dallas. He showed a ton of promise last year, and I'm surprised he hasn't received more pre-season hype.

7. DeAndre Hopkins - Talent is obviously legit ... just worried about the QB. But assuming Johnson receives the attention he usually does, field should open up for Hopkins in Year 2.

8. Sammy Watkins - long-term he's my favorite, but just don't see the consistent success immediately.

9. Mike Evans - See Watkins ... his youth worries me ... might take a couple years to adjust to the league. Unlike Benjamin in Carolina, Evans isn't going to be heavily relied upon as the obvious #1 WR.

10. Kenny Stills - The Saints spread the ball all around the field, so it's tough to expect consistency from any of their secondary targets, but Still certainly showed potential last year.

11. Tavon Austin - Again, really had a lot of potential coming out of college ... buy QB questions and lack of consistent passing success there is a real concern. Not sure I would rely on him to do much of anything this year, at least consistently.

So I ranked 11 based on my personal expectations for each guy. But what about the rest of you? If you had to pick any 2 guys to be your WR 4 and WR 5 (or WR 5 and WR 6) and you knew you could get any two of the above, who would you hedge your bets on? If you think Cordarrelle is too obvious, feel free to exclude him from that particular part of it.

Edited by eataylor87

There's a general thought from Saints fans that Stills could possibly start the season on the PUP list (see below) due to the quad injury he's nursing. He tried it in the last preseason game and reinjured it the first time he tested it deep and had to go back tot he locker room. The injury may not be a signifigant long-term one, but if he looks like he won't be able to go within the first couple of weeks then Payton could stash him in order to get a longer look at a couple of the other WRs who have stood out in camp such as Nick Toon & Brandon Coleman

Edit: Turns out Stills is not eligible for the PUP. I hadn't seen where that was mentioned before. I still believe he will miss a couple of games, but I don't believe it's serious enough for the IR designated to return label. If i hear more I'll pass it along.

Edited by rajncajn

I think Hopkins is poised to break out. He's a freak, and an awesome red zone target.

I like cooks, especially if Stills misses time. Brees made the likes of Lance Moore, Robert Meachem and Devery Henderson viable fantasy plays. Cooks has more talent than all 3 of them combined. My bet is he starts off slow and then becomes a weekly must start by mid season.

Benjamin is a tougher call, but who else are they going to throw to? I wouldn't draft him to start, however the sky is the limit. Still like Cooks better as far as rooks go.

1. Kendall Wright - 90+ catches last year...how is he not #1?? The TD's will come.

2. Cordarrelle Patterson - Will be a FF beast this year. They will find 1001 ways to get him the ball.

3. Terrance Williams - should be solid in an offense that will throw, throw, and throw some more...all focus will be on Dez.

4. Brandin Cooks - For the upside. Risky at where he's being drafted, but has a chance to be a high volume guy in this prolific offense

5. Kelvin Benjamin - Situation alone will give him plenty of targets, not many options in that offense, and he looks to be up to the task so far.

6. DeAndre Hopkins - Could be higher on the list if there weren't so many questions around the QB play.

7. Jordan Matthews - Has a chance to be a real factor in that offense. The kid is pretty damn good.

8. Justin Hunter - not sold that he can be consistent, all he will do is taint Kendall Wright's value.

9. Sammy Watkins - Not this year.

10. Mike Evans - Same as Hopkins...questionable QB play/offense keeps his ceiling low.

11. Kenny Stills - Hard to imagine real consistent production from him in the role he plays in this offense with so many mouths to feed.

12. Tavon Austin - Maybe okay if you're happy with production once every three or four games.