[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If people don't get their keepers in on time?

Scorcher

They get no keepers and extra picks added to the last round of the draft. Note: I actually don't run a keeper league, just thought I'd chime in anyhow.

Edited by irish

They get no keepers and extra picks added to the last round of the draft. Note: I actually don't run a keeper league, just thought I'd chime in anyhow.

Of course you would chime in. ;)

Thanks Steve!

Well I actually do run a keeper league, so if its ok with all of you I'll express my opinion...

We have never had this happen and I don't think we have a particular policy to cover it. Usually my co-commish (he 1A, I'm 1B) checks these after entering his a day or two before the deadline. If an owner has forgotten he'd remind them.

I'm a bit of a hard ass when it comes to rules and owners taking care of their own business. I'd say if they are not submitted by the deadline they have no keepers and get extra picks at the end of their draft to build a full roster. But that also means a team that is going to be weak as hell, and potentially a free win for anybody that plays them. We keep 5, which is over half our starting line-up. If you keep more that makes it worse obviously.

I think the commish or a group of league members picking their keepers is not a bad option, but do you pick their best players, or their more marginal ones. Like their 2nd best QB, their 2nd/3rd RB and so on.

I'm co-commish of an auction league. We can keep up to four players. Our rule is, for each day your keepers were late, you are docked one keeper slot.

For example, our keepers were due on a Tuesday this year and one owner blanked until Friday. He lost one keeper by not submitting by Tuesday, another by not submitting Wednesday and another by not submitting Thursday. When he finally remembered on Friday, he could only declare one keeper, which he did.

I'm very punctual. Doesn't mean I have to be a jerk to those who aren't. I'm glad my local league isn't filled with your sort.

Lol. It must be fun to be the only one in your league who gives a honda.

My league's keeper deadline was always at the draft.

I'm very punctual. Doesn't mean I have to be a jerk to those who aren't. I'm glad my local league isn't filled with your sort.

I'm glad my local league isn't filled with guys who can't get their trucking keepers done in time. There is no excuse not to get it done and if a guy should miss the deadline and leave the league because he is getting punished I'll say good riddance to him. It literally takes under a minute to do.

• Like 3

Only problem I can see with getting no keepers is what keeps the owner from walking? The team is going to suck and will take some time to rebuild. It may be hard to get a new owner if the team is in that bad of shape as well.

Here is what you do: Let the guy walk. Let the new guy choose his keepers. Never speak to the first guy again because he is not worth your time in fantasy football or in life.

Our league commish has been a bit lax about the keeper deadline. Last year, they were due on Saturday night a week before the draft, and two owners had not reported their keepers. But by the next day, both teams had posted the keepers and nothing was really said about it. One owner who got his keepers in asked about a penalty, but the commish just said he has run the league lax for the 20 years and no reason to shift. End of issue.

This year, all the owners reported their keepers timely. And most years they are reported timely, will only occasional lapses.

If the deadline was say three weeks before the draft, I could see giving a couple days wiggle room. I am in charge of a work softball team and it is infuriating when people consistently don't respond on whether they'll make games. As commissioner of a league, which I am not, I can see it being annoying when owners can't take care of their business. However one or two reminders and a 3-4 day window isn't too crazy. We all want to win but jeez, some flexibility and common sense should apply.

Assume a couple days delay, and this still leaves the league members time to prepare for the draft knowing what players are not available. However if the deadline is a week or less before the draft and it is missed, water board him.

I was just curious because we had 3 teams that didn't meet the deadline. Also I was wondering in your leagues are keepers posted for everyone to see or is it only seen by the commissioner?

Posted for everyone to see once they are in. Wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Here is what you do: Let the guy walk. Let the new guy choose his keepers. Never speak to the first guy again because he is not worth your time in fantasy football or in life.

What if the guys loses his keepers, goes thought the draft. Team goes 0-14 and he decided he is not going to spend years rebuilding a dog of a team? I think there should be a penalty, but I'd rather have it be a league fine, reduction in draft and/or free agent budget, lost draft pick, ect... Something that will not have a major long lasting affect on the team. Depending on the type of keeper league, maybe losing the keepers is not as big of a deal as some others as well.

Our Keeper deadline is 48 hours before our draft. Gives me time as Commissioner to get the rosters and draft picks set up correctly on our site. If someone misses the deadline, as long as I have not yet shared the full list of Keeper picks with the rest of the league, I would still accept them (it would have exactly ZERO affect on the league). But once I am ready to share the list of Keepers with everyone, then I would no longer accept late Keepers from an Owner, as there could be a strategic advantage to waiting until you see what everyone else has Kept.

I was just curious because we had 3 teams that didn't meet the deadline. Also I was wondering in your leagues are keepers posted for everyone to see or is it only seen by the commissioner?

We set up a dedicated email address for declaring our Keeper picks (so nobody sees them). The rest of the league trusts that the Commissioner won't look at their picks before submitting his own. If you can't trust the Commissioner to do this, then he shouldn't be Commissioner (and probably shouldn't be in the league at all).

After the deadline, the Commissioner gathers all of the picks from the dedicated email address, adjusts rosters and draft picks, and sends out an email to the league listing all of the Keepers for each team.

We designate our keeprs through our league (CBS) site. The commissioners (I am one) can see them at any time, but we don't look until ours are locked in. Once the deadline passed, all non keepers are purged from the rosters, and all teams can see other teams rosters. So basically once the deadline passes all teams can see other teams keepers. But it would also be too late to select keepers on the site.

I honestly do not see what is such a big deal that owners cannot take then few minutes to submit keeper before the deadline. Do a preliminary list if you must, and then update before the deadline. Same goes for submitting weekly line-ups. I think the owners who fail do that are the ones who are in the wrong, not the rest of the league or the commish for wanting them to follow the rules.

I'm glad my local league isn't filled with guys who can't get their trucking keepers done in time. There is no excuse not to get it done and if a guy should miss the deadline and leave the league because he is getting punished I'll say good riddance to him. It literally takes under a minute to do.

This.^^^

Our league has always had a deadline of one week before the draft.....but if someone does not have theirs in on time then we hold up on posting everyone else's till we have that teams(not to give him a unfair advantage). No reason to be pricks as long as it is sorted out by the draft in my opinion.

I think people are lacking some serious perspective here. This is just fantasy football. It's a game. It shouldn't be nearly as important as your friendships.

If somebody doesn't care enough to get their keepers done in time, they should be a good friend and leave the league voluntarily so somebody who gives a honda could play instead.

Edited by Papajohn
  • Like 2