[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Ray Rice Rule

rajncajn

NFL toughens its stance on domestic violence

In a lengthy letter sent to every NFL owner on Thursday, Goodell announced enhanced policies and discipline under the personal conduct policy that will result in a six-game suspension for a first offense related to domestic violence or sexual assault and an indefinite ban for a second offense committed by any NFL personnel.

"We allowed our standards to fall below where they should be and lost an important opportunity to emphasize our strong stance on a critical issue and the effective programs we have in place," Goodell wrote in the letter, which was obtained by USA TODAY Sports.

"My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment, and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families. I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn't get it right. Simply put, we have to do better. And we will."

I'll reserve my opinion on why this was done because it usually only incites negativity. I'll just say that I'm glad they are doing something now.

• Like 1

Talk about dodging responsibility - Goddell has near unilateral authority to do whatever he wants and then talks out of the corners of his mouth and says "We allowed our standards..." The person who lost the opportunity was Goodell, plain and simple. Him taking responsibility in the 2nd quoted paragraph is negated by his insistence on the use of "we." Has he made any public comments explaining his decision?

Gutless move IMO. Defend your decision as correct or say it was wrong and change it. You don't get to have it both ways.

I'm sure they planned the timing to try and mute the somewhat simplistic comparisons between Gordon's situation and Rice's.

• Like 1

I was thinking the Ray Rice rule is where you only draft aging former stars when you can get them below their ADP as fantasy backups with potential upside but little risk where they were drafted.

True but you have to let them age on the shelf for just a few weeks before you can use them.

Only in America would we get more pissed about how a professional sports league handles a criminal matter rather then our judicial system.

:(

We're discussing the football aspect of it because this is a football forum. I wouldn't say anyone here is more pissed about how the league has handled this. As it pertains to the legal system, his "wife" refused to press charges and since they got "married" the prosecution could not force her to testify against him = hands tied.

• Like 1