[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Life is funny

rattsass

It has been a running theme in my fantasy career that I draw a back row seat to the draft every year. I don't know how many leagues I have played in these 20+ years in the hobby, butI do know that to the best of my knowledge I have drawn a 1st overall pick exactly 1 time in all those years.

So this year - I simply don't have time to devote to a bunch of teams. I quit my keeper league (leaving behind Jimmy Graham - come on now - that took guts) and decided I would only have one team this year. The FFPC -a format I have grown to love even though I have yet to master.

And you guessed it- I drew the number one. And I was happy for about 2 seconds- until I realized I have no freaking clue who to pick.

Only a fool would go against the grain and ignore the big 4 RBs. Just pick one. Except I keep finding reasons not to pick any of them. I realize from a strategical standpoint having a running back of this caliber is a huge advantage. I also realize given my past history when given draft "free passes" is horrific. I have already been burned by Forte once. I was burned by Peterson as well. I owned these guys in the only year you wouldn't have wanted to own them.

I am Chiefs fan, and this lays an even heavier burdon at my feet. Do I single-handedly crush the hopes and dreams of the team I root for by taking Charles first as everybody seems to think is the safest thing to do?

Maybe I should just go ahead and take Graham first overall in the 1.5 PPR for TE league. That could throw the entire first round into chaos, and I just wait to see what kind of quality fallout I get. It seems an insane thought, but it has enterend my consciousness, along with the sober reality that half the first round RBS bust every year.

Honestly I lean toward Shady - but this latest "turf toe" blurb has me feeling just an uneasy about him as I do the rest.

I guess what I am saying is, I am really thankful that the fantasy gods have granted me that coveted pick in a season where it seems to mean so little. Feel free to chime in- I will report back next week and tell you which first round players season I have destroyed.

Considering he played in the very next game after the turf toe stuff came out I'd be willing to put concern about it aside.

Here's something that might help make up your mind...Shady plays the Cowboys in weeks 13 & 15.

LMAO! That's awesome. You take Charles and ride that train to the top or to Hell. As a chiefs' fan it'd be sacrilegious to take anyone else.

LMAO! That's awesome. You take Charles and ride that train to the top or to Hell. As a chiefs' fan it'd be sacrilegious to take anyone else.

Now you sound like my wife. I'm trying to tell her I hold the entore fate of the Chiefs season in my hand, but she doesn't seem to comprehend my powers either.

• Like 1

Now you sound like my wife. I'm trying to tell her I hold the entore fate of the Chiefs season in my hand, but she doesn't seem to comprehend my powers either.

It is an awful feeling but what would be worse would be being a traitor and watching Charles be the #1 RB again. He's a monster and will be again, injuries can happy to anyone and he deserves to be the first guy taken. If you're torn on who to go with, then you owe it to yourself and your fanhood to take your guy. Win, lose or draw you stayed true. And when he does get hurt or is a bust you can at least laugh about it with the wife discussing how you jinxed Charles the Chiefs and yourself in the contest.

• Like 1

Well that is one way to look at it. Honestly - you get so few chances doing this (unless you are a blind homer) to have a player that kicks ass from your own team. But that is what makes it all so suspicious. One team. First pick. Charles waiting. Here kitty kitty kitty kitty.....

• Like 1

In all seriousness, my real sticking point with Charles is the fact that the Chiefs schedule is not so great to start the season - and the O-line has to be considered a question mark. As you know the format calls for an 11 game regular season. Slow starts are death.

On the other hand Forte - who seems to get lost in the shuffle of the discussion has a nice schedule including a wet-dream playoff set. This is no slam dunk to me.

In all seriousness, my real sticking point with Charles is the fact that the Chiefs schedule is not so great to start the season - and the O-line has to be considered a question mark. As you know the format calls for an 11 game regular season. Slow starts are death.

On the other hand Forte - who seems to get lost in the shuffle of the discussion has a nice schedule including a wet-dream playoff set. This is no slam dunk to me.

I hear ya but that may be what makes Charles more valuable. The fact that he has a harder schedule, more games will be competitive and the chiefs could be playing from behind, meaning more passes and more points. Forte could end up giving way to backups in blowouts and there are WAY more mouths to feed in Chi-town than in KC.

Edited by irish

FWIW, I think the Chiefs are going to be a mess this year. If I'm picking first, I'm not taking Charles. No way, no how.

Then it becomes a coin flip between Forte and McCoy to me.

Agreed. I'm staying away from Charles this year, McCoy would be my choice at #1.

Trade down to #6 or #7 and pick up a higher round 4 pick ?

You will still Get Graham & help yourself out in the forth

That'd be best.

I feel your pain. I seem to be in the back third of the draft about 70-80% of the time, and have rarely been "fortunate" enough to land the #1 pick. This year, I'm not all that disappointed to be sitting in the back, as there seems to be plenty of depth in those 2nd/3rd tiers (between the 2nd tier of RB's, the half-dozen or so stud WR's, and Graham).

Personally, I think I agree with Keg. But, it's really close. Just as you can find an argument against each of those four, you can also find a major argument FOR each of them, as well. It's not outside of the realm of possibilities that they all have great years, either. So, go with your gut. Not sure what that means (not sure what your gut is telling you), but you should be able to figure that out (hopefully). Either take the guy you feel best about, or take the guy that you will regret not taking the least, if he blows up (if that makes sense).

Good luck. :)

FWIW, I think the Chiefs are going to be a mess this year. If I'm picking first, I'm not taking Charles. No way, no how.

Then it becomes a coin flip between Forte and McCoy to me.

I tend to agree with this as well. I'm not sure they'll be a mess, but I think they'll be playing from behind more than they were last year. In other words, they won't be able to rely as heavily on the defense on running game to win games. And, the more Alex Smith has to throw (when defenses are expecting it), the more uncomfortable things become for the Chiefs.

Now, that doesn't mean Charles is going to have a bad year, necessarily. I just don't think he's a lock to come anywhere close to last year's numbers. How likely is it that he has another 60-point game (like he did in Week 15)... a game in which he rushed for 20 yards on 8 carries, no less? That will probably never happen again. You could make an argument that that game alone is what separated Charles and McCoy last year. Not quite, but without those 4 touchdown catches, their numbers overall are much closer. Even if that's an average game for Charles, instead of a career game, they're within 20 points of each other (instead of 60).

I don't think you can go "wrong" with any of the four. I just don't think there is a clear-cut "right" choice, either, which is why I'm fine with picking from the 7-11 range, and getting an earlier 2nd round pick as a result.

Beware Irish. He sounds like he has the #2 pick in your league. I'm a little worried about Charles this year as well for all the reasons everyone listed. I don't think you can go wrong with either Shady or Forte, but Shady may be in the position that Charles was last year, as I don't see that Eagle receiving corps being as productive as last year unless Maclin stays healthy. That's a big caveat. Id probabl y lean toward McCoy myself, but it's splitting hairs at this point.

(Surprise them all, take Manning first, lol. No don't. Really.)

• Like 1

Yea the number one pick was no big deal to have this year. Like I would ever know. In my latest draft, I had the 6th pick. When it came to my turn, the number one player on my cheatsheet was still available. Of course I didn't take him. I took the 2nd player on my sheet instead. I took Forte but could of had Charles.

Yea the number one pick was no big deal to have this year. Like I would ever know. In my latest draft, I had the 6th pick. When it came to my turn, the number one player on my cheatsheet was still available. Of course I didn't take him. I took the 2nd player on my sheet instead. I took Forte but could of had Charles.

@6? Just wow, who were the 5 that went ahead?

@6? Just wow, who were the 5 that went ahead?

See, this is the dilemma. I'm looking at Forte #1 and in some drafts he won't get a sniff until #6.

Were I in a trading league that is exactly what I would be doing - however this is the FBG Championship online- no trading out of this one.

Just draft the best kicker in the league and ride him to a title ;)

I have heard good things about this Prater fella.... :thinking: