[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Zero RB Strategy (PPR)

jbran23

How do you guys feel about the strategy in a PPR league of not drafting an RB until the 5th or 6th round and just loading up on high volume WR's and a TE? I also drafted a QB before going RB as well because my league settings score 5pts for TD passes instead of the standard 4.

Heres a link to the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/football-by-the-numbers--zero-rb-strategy-193759684.html;_ylt=AwrBEiERDwJU7FEAhglNbK5_

Implementing this technique in a 12 teamer I ended up with a team that looks like this:

QB Stafford

WR Calvin Johnson

WR Antonio Brown

WR Cobb

RB Vereen

RB MJD

TE Witten

BENCH

Terrence Williams

Wheaton

Fred Jackson

McFadden

Woodhead

Ladarius Green

What do guys think?

Have done it before and will do it again if the draft unfolds in such a way.

I think this strategy can work depending on the year. This year there seems to be several interesting RBs hanging out late in drafts and this strategy could work well. Obviously depends on how the draft plays out and may have to adjust.

I wouldn't go into a draft with this as a preplanned strategy, but if the draft unfolds and the BPA in the early rounds was a WR at each of my first few picks, then sure.

But, for example, in most leagues, I wouldn't be taking Calvin or Demaryius over a McCoy, Charles, Forte or Peterson. But if I had the 8th or 9th pick and Calvin was there, sure, I'd take him, then if there was a mini-RB run and I'm staring at a Demayius or Bryant type in the second, I'd probably take on of them there as well.

• Like 1

How did your teams fair when using this strategy Irish?

I honestly don't think it worked out tremendously for me when I waited til round 5 and later. It was probably better when I grabbed one by round 3.

Here's a 12-teamer that was completed earlier in the summer, where I passed on RB until the 5th. Ihad the 1.06 pick and the draft went like this for me-

1 - Demaryius Thomas

2 - Alshon Jeffery (Le'Veon Bell, Ellington and Doug Martin were on the board still)

3 - Aaron Rodgers (Spiller, Morris, Bush, Vereen and Stacy were still there)

4 - Victor Cruz (Richardson, Jennings and Gerhart still there)

5 - Ryan Mathews

6 - Chris Johnson

7 - Kyle Rudolph

8 - MJD

9 - Terrance West (Woodhead went 4 picks later, wish I would've gone there but at that point in the summer West was thought to have a shot at starting)

10 - DeAndre Hopkins

11 - DeAngelo Williams

12 - Panthers' D

13 - Marvin Jones (wasn't injured yet)

14 - Delanie Walker

15 - Alex Smith

16 - Steve Smith

17 - Adam Vinatieri

18 - Bears' D

Edited by irish

It's the strategy I usually use. I've noticed it works better in non-flex leagues. In non-flex leagues, few running backs are taken in rounds 3 through 7. So in rounds 5 -7 you'll be choosing between running backs that are ranked between 18-24. But in flex leagues, where 3 or 4 running backs may be started, running backs are still taken in rounds 3-5, so you'll often end up with dregs if you do the waiting game. The bright spot is that running back is the easiest position to create something from nothing with the waiver wire.

IMO, I think it's easier to fill voids at WR off the WW than RB.

• Like 1

I do think it's easier to grab an average wide receiver off the waiver wire. A guy that'll get 2-4 catches and 20-50 yards. Those guys are available every week. But to develop a legitimately good or great player, I think running back is easier.

If/when those guys become available, usually because of injury, it's an all out WWE summer slam bid your heart out to get them event. Zac Stacy last season, he helped me win 2 leagues.

• Like 1

I think a lot of it depends on where you pick in the draft and the year. One of my leagues is a 1pt PPR, and two years ago, I went with WR, WR, WR, RB, TE, RB strategy with the 11th pick, and made it to the superbowl (but lost). Last year, in the same league with the same scoring with the 10th spot, I went RB, RB, WR, RB, WR, QB, RB, TE, and ended up winning the SuperBowl.

However, as a caveat, last year, I also got Josh Gordon in the 10th last year, and Jordan Cameron was my TE, so when they blew up, it made me look like a genius. :yay:

Edited by Big Dogs

There is plenty of Tier 2/3 WR talent this year...grab a stud RB upfront or early imo.

RB-WR-RB-WR

Guys like Montee, Forte...early...grabbing Dez, Bmarsh, Julio Jones depending on the comeback,

Then you have the nice option of Zac Stacy, Kennan Allen, Jordy, Julius Thomas...

Guys like Antonio Brown and Patterson are still waiting in the 4th or even 5th depending...I love E. Sanders, later and will reach for him, etc. Then you have plenty to choose from in the stables and secured your RB situation too...

IMO, I think it's easier to fill voids at WR off the WW than RB.

I believe this to be correct as well. You can look at last years point totals and see a much steeper drop off in RB points per game compared to WR and get a small confirmation of this.

That said I don't really think there is an inherent advantage to drafting RB late. I drafted 3rd and 18th this year and got Jamaal Charles and Montee Ball. The two years before I drafted WR WR but I think in a PPR format those 2 running backs had by far the most potential relative to the rest of the remaining field (Forte went #2). With that start I was still able to get Antonio Brown, Alshon Jeffery, Cordarrelle Patterson, Mike Wallace, Sammy Watkins, and DeAndre Hopkins.

I feel super deep at WR while still having two top tier PPR RB. If I lose a RB I am in a pretty bad spot but you are in the same position if you lose a RB with your draft.

Basically what I am trying to say, is that a good PPR RB has more potential to outscore the next guy than a good PPR WR.

This strategy can work in a 1 RB required league - where you only need to get lucky enough to find one diamond in the rough to fill your RB spot.

In a 2 required RB league, it is generally too risky.

Let's face it, for every late round or wire RB gem that hits, there are 20-30 that miss. But we don't hear about those guys, we only recall the one time out of 50 that it worked. Kind of like a form of survivorship bias.

This must be new I never heard of it

You always have to try to stay up to date with the latest and newest strategies. Come on Muto!

I have to agree with what most said above. Depends on what spot u draft from. I would be very hard pressed to go WR if I were sitting in the 1-4 spots. But the author of the article says u should do just that Draft WR no matter what spot u draft from because in todays game the RB position is riskier than the WR position.

Now, in my league I am drafting in today it is only .5 points per reception. Do u guys think this would still be a sound strategy with that type of format or does .5 points somewhat nullify any advantage u might gain in this thinking?

I started a 10 teamer (10/10), with AJ & Dez. An 18 teamer (13/18), AJ, Julio & Cruz.

I rank the top guys:

McCoy

Forte

AP

Lacy

Calvin

Graham, in TE required.

I would not draft Charles up here, line issues.

After these, I am WR/WR.

This strategy heavily depends on who you draft instead of a top RB. If you go WR, I don't think it's wise. If you go QB or TE, then I do. I do it every year and typically go TE (Graham). If you follow up a Graham pick with a stud QB, you don't have to load up on hit/miss TE's and QB's later, which leaves more room to draft deeper at WR or RB.

Guys like Stewart, Sproles, P. Thomas, D. Williams, Woodhead, Brown, Hillman, etc., will be there later. While they may not be top 20 RB's, in a PPR format you'll get enough to cover on a weekly basis and if one "breaks out" due to injury or just a good matchup, then you hit. Also worth noting is the guys that take a ton of RB's will need roster room after a few weeks and drop these types of RB's, so you can pick them up off the wire.

I really don't understand the mentality of drafting 5 RB's in the first 8 rounds. To claim QB's and TE's are deep is simply not true enough to warrant backing up your flex RB slot two deep before filling the other positions. Also worth noting is that when you tank RB's, more RB's will fall. Drafters just can't help themselves when a RB falls to them, so they drink the ADP KoolAid and pull.

Another caveat to this strategy is claiming team XYZ did this and lost. It's just one part of the puzzle, so it's really moot how someone else drafted and how they did. I drafted 4 teams this year and have Graham and Julius on two of them, going TE/TE (though one was an auction). Not only do I have the best two TE's (IMO), but the teams I'll play against won't have them. If I get into dire straits, then I'll have the option to trade one of them and they both have a big name, warranting a big name in return. The guy who drafted 6 RB's in the first 9 will be so deep at RB it would be painless to let one of them go.

This strategy worked better last year and the years before that, because there were bell cows who pounded it out all season long every game. Those RB's are rare these days, with the RBBC being the norm and pssing going up. Hillman, Sproles, Woodhead, Vereen, P. Thomas are there to catch passes. Every time they do in a 1 point PPR, it's a 10 yards rushing equivalent. Last year Woodhead (WCOFF scoring) came in #12 at 227. Chris Johnson and Lacy were both 244, so the point delta isn't too far off. P. Thomas #16 at 213 wasn't too shabby either. Conversely, Graham came in at 303 with Gonzo in second at 218. M. Lynch at #5RB was 277, so the ledge is much steeper at TE than it is at RB.

In conclusion, if your league awards higher PPR points for a TE, the top two are worth more. QB's may be deeper than past years, but Brees (Mr. Consistency) is money most weeks... not some weeks. My advice is that if you do this, go all in and draft the mid round RB's when they fall and take a top QB early, two WR's and a TE early. If you have Brees, you really don't need a backup for the bye in week 6. Start looking for the filler in week 4 and take another WR or RB. The predictions are just that, and once it's showtime you never know which lesser teams will surprise and which ones will disappoint.

Edited by Thews40

Positional strategies are interesting, but I like to look for the best value with each pick throughout the draft. To be in the best position to find value from round to round, you need to not go to heavy in one direction too early. If I go WR heavy early, I'm in less of a position to snag that great value WR that somehow slipped a couple rounds. Same goes for RB.

Did it in a couple redrafts this year and have come away with some teams I really like.

"PPR upside RBs" will come out of the woodwork as the season progresses. Why would you reach for CJ Spiller or Trent Richardson when you can have a high-impact 3rd WR in a 3-WR-mandatory league? I'd rather flex WR, too.

Wait and load up on Joique Bell, Danny Woodhead, Devonta Freeman, Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles... the list goes on (and there'll be names you may never even heard of eventually). With the way these guys catch the ball, if you can get 20-25 points out of an RB duo like those guys... you should be good since your WRs, TE and QB are probably very, very strong.

Let everyone fight over the "RB1's" that will get 12-20 points per week... but will also have some real stinker weeks. The fact they will have weaker WRs, TEs and QBs will give you a huge advantage. At least it's what I'm thinking could happen this year and in years to come as more "specialized" RBs earn their keep on NFL offenses.