[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Zero RB Strategy (PPR)

jbran23

Why are you scoffing at his post? He's just sharing what he did for our benefit.

I'm not scoffing, sharing as well. The way I see it, most WR-WR teams are 1-1 or 0-2 and looking ugly between injuries and consistency. And while I agree with you, i have avoided the injury bug, ironically those RBs hurt are the ones I wanted nothing to do with including Charles, Knowshon, Matthews, etc.

It's totally results oriented thinking.. it's only week 3. And it's not like people are going to change their teams. I get it. So put down your flamethrower. My biggest point: in a zero sum game such as FFB, do the opposite of everyone else, especially when their is scarcity in the highest distribution position.

And it hasn't even snowed yet!

I'm not scoffing, sharing as well. The way I see it, most WR-WR teams are 1-1 or 0-2 and looking ugly between injuries and consistency. And while I agree with you, i have avoided the injury bug, ironically those RBs hurt are the ones I wanted nothing to do with including Charles, Knowshon, Matthews, etc.

It's totally results oriented thinking.. it's only week 3. And it's not like people are going to change their teams. I get it. So put down your flamethrower. My biggest point: in a zero sum game such as FFB, do the opposite of everyone else, especially when their is scarcity in the highest distribution position.

My WR-WR team is 2-0, and had you drafted AP or Jamal Charles instead of one of the guys you did you wouldn't be in here crowing

S&G,

You look like you put in pretty good volume. And i see you grabbed Giovanni, . Who are your WR-WR? And you doubled up on TEs?

So...did you grab a similar core for each team you drafted. Are you saying you went WR-WR and 2-0 in all your leagues?

All my leagues are different, only 1 pure redraft league - the others are mandatory 3 player keeper and a dynasty/auction league. But even if I was in additional redraft leagues my draft strategy would have likely played out differently as each draft unfolds in it's own unique way. In the old days I ALWAYS ended up with 1 or 2 RBs in the first 2 rounds, I have since evolved and draft best available player, which often means WR if you draft late in the round.

WR-WR = A.Brown, P.Garcon, added Crabtree (4) and Wheaton (13)

Yes I doubled up on TE - I like having a strong enough TE2 to use as a flex WR3/WR4.

All any of this means is just be right. Any strategy works when you are. Go WR/WR with Calvin and Brown and you're golden. Go RB/RB with Charles and Bush and you're screwed. Anyone can find isolated/hypothetical examples to make a point.

All any of this means is just be right. Any strategy works when you are. Go WR/WR with Calvin and Brown and you're golden. Go RB/RB with Charles and Bush and you're screwed. Anyone can find isolated/hypothetical examples to make a point.

I'm talking about volume. 20+ leagues. Grindin. Show me the money.

Not 1 redraft like S&G. That's not a sample size, that's not perspective. I need a Muto opinion if he inadvertently went WR heavy upfront . This is my best start yet...Sama Sosa on steroids type ish. 2-0 is the goal, just like the NFL, it makes or breaks playoffs. If you're 0-2...sorry to tell you, you're 70% screwed.

And thanks to the huddle subscription and expert analysis, I have ZERO teams with Charles (I passed), Bush or any of those types. And thanks to the huddle I have Wheaton, Hopkins and Wallace spread out all over at WR3/4

Nobody has A.Brown and C.Johnson. That wasn't the draft texture this year. If so, I pitty their running game even more. Just about any other WR-WR combo and I pitty a teams running game.

WRs are a flash in a skillet. They don't carry teams, especially in the playoffs.

I'm talking about volume. 20+ leagues. Grindin. Show me the money.

Not 1 redraft like S&G. That's not a sample size, that's not perspective. I need a Muto opinion if he inadvertently went WR heavy upfront . This is my best start yet...Sama Sosa on steroids type ish. 2-0 is the goal, just like the NFL, it makes or breaks playoffs. If you're 0-2...sorry to tell you, you're 70% screwed.

And thanks to the huddle subscription and expert analysis, I have ZERO teams with Charles (I passed), Bush or any of those types. And thanks to the huddle I have Wheaton, Hopkins and Wallace spread out all over at WR3/4

Nobody has A.Brown and C.Johnson. That wasn't the draft texture this year. If so, I pitty their running game even more. Just about any other WR-WR combo and I pitty a teams running game.

WRs are a flash in a skillet. They don't carry teams, especially in the playoffs.

I was able to grab brown in the third round after going Calvin Murray. I picked 4th. Luckily due to some questionable picks in front of me in the third round, brown was there. Needless to say I'm 2-0, although the injury bug is most likely right around the corner for me....

Wow, looks like we have another Baby Jane amongst us. Also sounds like Champs is talking about a large group of players some of who he got on all of his various teams. No specific league where he drafted specific players, but he's a baller in 20 leagues doing it for money, an expert amongst a bunch of novices.

Wow, looks like we have another Baby Jane amongst us. Also sounds like Champs is talking about a large group of players some of who he got on all of his various teams. No specific league where he drafted specific players, but he's a baller in 20 leagues doing it for money, an expert amongst a bunch of novices.

Just another example of the poker-ification of fantasy football. No longer is it a thing where you have a league with your buddies to make football more fun to watch... to talk some trash... or a couple of leagues here and there... no, now it's "join 25 leagues and try to win as much money as possible..." who cares about the fun, camaraderie and overall enjoyment in the hobby.

• Like 2

I do both. I have 3 leagues with friends and they go way back to the newspaper stat era. But yeah, I grind out on Yahoo Proleagues and RT Sports. I don't bet on NFL games so it's how I gambooool. I like the action and I feel like I have an edge over the internet droolers of the world without having to over exhaust myself. It's why i like the huddle, it's why i like technology.

Besides bragging, which is the main point obviously, I have sample size to self-validate my theory that RB-RB or RB-WR-RB was freaking genius. I'm old school, new school blew their wad on WRs upfront.

I was waiting for more people to tell me about their 2-0 WR heavy teams. Nobody really seems to make the claim except 1 or 2 people. But even then, forgetting to talk about their other players. It's hindsight, but all this crazy talk about WRs was so 2011 & 2012.

At least I give you something to read.

I do both. I have 3 leagues with friends and they go way back to the newspaper stat era. But yeah, I grind out on Yahoo Proleagues and RT Sports. I don't bet on NFL games so it's how I gambooool. I like the action and I feel like I have an edge over the internet droolers of the world without having to over exhaust myself. It's why i like the huddle, it's why i like technology.

Besides bragging, which is the main point obviously, I have sample size to self-validate my theory that RB-RB or RB-WR-RB was freaking genius. I'm old school, new school blew their wad on WRs upfront.

I was waiting for more people to tell me about their 2-0 WR heavy teams. Nobody really seems to make the claim except 1 or 2 people. But even then, forgetting to talk about their other players. It's hindsight, but all this crazy talk about WRs was so 2011 & 2012.

Perhaps you don't hear from more people telling you about their 2-0 WR heavy teams because they don't want to completely waste their time.

Unlikely.

Yet you also fail to show us your actual teams where you drafted this way and have this success. Instead you list a bunch of 1st/2nd round talent and give the impression you have 10 studs on your team when they're spread across various teams.

I only play in one league and its a 5 man keeper, so redraft discussions are just fun reading for me. As others have said any strategy can work if executed well and if the other owners draft in a way that allows it.

If you just want to brag about how good you are you'll be lumped in with the others that do it.

When you play against third graders sample size is irrelevant

Edited by Grits and Shins

I will take it a step farther. I draft 4 RB's in the 1st 4 rounds every year ( have for a long time now) as I know how easy it is to find capable WR's or 1 week WR plays off the wire. this protects from that Charles injury. or Bush playing bad. and you can overcome and still compete because you got 2 other guys who can play.

I won't talk about record as that is where this guy went wrong. he bloated. now he will lose every game the rest of the year.

But I do agree about the WR/WR teams. I look at them near the bottom every year unless somehow 1 of those teams(taking last year as a forinstance) got a Moreno and Ellington late. people who take TE's in the 1st round usually end up there too.

RB's are the key to this game and alway will be. sure, teams will throw more, and throwing to the RB's is a big part of that. you cannot outsmart the game you can only play within its guidelines.

Just my opinion.

Yet you also fail to show us your actual teams where you drafted this way and have this success. Instead you list a bunch of 1st/2nd round talent and give the impression you have 10 studs on your team when they're spread across various teams.

then I wont tell you about the teams where I took Julio Jones in the 2nd round either! (RB-WR-RB)

Edited by ChampSampson

I will take it a step farther. I draft 4 RB's in the 1st 4 rounds every year ( have for a long time now) as I know how easy it is to find capable WR's or 1 week WR plays off the wire. this protects from that Charles injury. or Bush playing bad. and you can overcome and still compete because you got 2 other guys who can play.

I won't talk about record as that is where this guy went wrong. he bloated. now he will lose every game the rest of the year.

But I do agree about the WR/WR teams. I look at them near the bottom every year unless somehow 1 of those teams(taking last year as a forinstance) got a Moreno and Ellington late. people who take TE's in the 1st round usually end up there too.

RB's are the key to this game and alway will be. sure, teams will throw more, and throwing to the RB's is a big part of that. you cannot outsmart the game you can only play within its guidelines.

Just my opinion.

Here is the break down of my local redrafter:

01: RB-RB 2-0 : 9th in points scored

02: RB-WR 1-1 : 4th in points scored : RGIII + Ingram + Cameron

03: WR-RB 1-1 : 3rd in points scored

04: RB-QB 0-2 : 11th in points scored : AP + Ben Tate

05: RB-RB 1-1 : 10th in points scored

06: WR-QB 0-2 : 6th in points scored : Ray Rice + Roddy White

07: RB-WR 2-0 : 8th in points scored

08: WR-WR 2-0 : 2nd in points scored

09: TE-WR 1-1 : 1st in points scored : Moreno + Mathews + Marvin Jones

10: WR-WR 0-2 : 12th in points scored

11: RB-WR 1-1 : 5th in points scored : Eifert

12: WR-QB 1-1 : 7th in points scored : Jordan Reed

As you can see there is a team that went WR-WR on the bottom (0-2) but also one on the top (2-0). The RB-RB teams have one on the top (2-0) and one in the middle (1-1) - but the team on the top is ranked 9th in total points scored and the RB-RB team at 1-1 is ranked 10th in points scored. It doesn't look to me like you can conclusively say that WR-WR teams are on the bottom while RB-RB teams are on the top.

In this league taking a QB in the 2nd round plus injuries to key players put two teams in dire straights.

The 8 top scoring teams all took 1 or more WRs in the first 2 rounds, none took RB-RB, one took WR-WR, one took TE-WR.

Here's a little more to chew on.... and look, I realize every case will be different. There's SO much luck involved in this game, that you can analyze until you're blue in the face and it really doesn't matter.

That said...

10-team, no PPR (1-1, #2 in points): started Forte, Julio, Nelson. I had the #3 pick so it's not like I was going to pass on Forte there, even without PPR. While I stand by the "wait on RB" theory, you have to be smart within the confines of your league and its draft. I didn't take RB2 until the 6th (Ben Tate), and he's obviously done jack-krap this season... so in essence I could have even waited LONGER and still been fine.

12-team PPR (1-1, #8 in points): started AP, Green, Allen. Again, early pick, wasn't going to pass on AP. Took Joique Bell in the 5th. Would this team be doing better had I taken Foster over Allen in the 3rd? Maybe. Of course, I started Green last week (0 points) and the standings are so close I technically should be in 5th/6th in points.

So, you have two examples where I went RB early (based on draft position). In one, I'm doing well... the other, not so hot. Conversely:

12-team PPR (2-0, #1 in division points #3 out of 120 teams in league): Call it luck, call it whatever you want, but I waited until the SEVENTH round to take my first RB in this league. I started Megatron, Antonio Brown, Julius Thomas. Took Fred Jackson in 7th, Steven Jackson in 8th, D-Will in 10th, Sproles in 11th. So yeah, call it the luck of getting Sproles if you want.

So again, we all know fantasy football is largely luck-based, but if you have a plan, stick to it, and end up "hitting", it can mean big things.

• Like 1

...back to the discussion...

There is so much complexity in stating team XYZ drafted RB/RB and is first vs. team ZYX who went WR/TE who is 0-2. That's only two slots in a draft and doesn't factor in who else was drafted on each team, or the luck involved in going up against a weak team and scoring an average amount and coming out with a win. In one league I'm in (Big Time Huddle league), Cincy Slammers is 0-2 with 271 points scored vs. all the 2-0 teams except one with 276. Luck is a factor but will even itself out over time... unless the fantasy gods hate you.

On all four of my teams I have either Jimmy Graham or Julius Thomas, and on two of them I have both. That metric doesn't factor in what happens when someone does that (TE/TE). Teams may ignore TE's, or the remaining teams may reach for what's left over at TE. It's far too soon to claim any strategy was best this year, because teams that played a soft defense the first two weeks won't put up the same numbers against stronger defenses.

...deviate one last time from the discussion...

For the record, it's been my experience that fantasy football braggarts are never as good as they claim to be. Just like the guy who claims to win while playing slots, he only remembers the wins and discounts the losses, and can't (denial) acknowledge them without loading up on BS excuses. There's never any data, but what they're clueless about is that no one cares... even if they actually did tell the truth.

Edited by Thews40
  • Like 1

Well I hate to burst the zero RB strategy back patting bubble going on here, but I quietly drafted TE-TE in my leagues and nabbed Graham(1st) and Julius(2nd) in all of them. Then I just took the best available player left on the board the rest of the way to fill out my rosters. I'm in first place in all of them, so I guess we now know who the secret fantasy genius is here.

Well I hate to burst the zero RB strategy back patting bubble going on here, but I quietly drafted TE-TE in my leagues and nabbed Graham(1st) and Julius(2nd) in all of them. Then I just took the best available player left on the board the rest of the way to fill out my rosters. I'm in first place in all of them, so I guess we now know who the secret fantasy genius is here.

You do realize that having a rational discussion requires data? Don't you... guess not. The zero RB strategy (just take a peek at the OP) may be in the background of people worth discussion for next year. Your post adds nothing to the discussion... nothing but internet garbage backed up by nothing... no data. Give yourself a high-five... you desperately need it.

Edited by Thews40