[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stashing Suspended players on your IR

mitpdub

I'm curious how you guys handle this in your leagues as MFL has a checkbox that allows a player to be deactivated to IR if he's suspended. It could be a loophole to stash someone like Josh Gordon or Aldon Smith (if you're playing IDP) and not count against your regular roster limit.

I've been in some leagues that say IR is only for medically injured players, so I'm wondering If this has come up in your leagues and argued by owners in keeper leagues.

We have a 18 player limit, with 13 starters(8 offense+5defense) which leaves a 5 person bench. IR is 2 players on top of that but players need to be OUT per the NFL updates. This has never been an issue until Gordon being drafted in the 18th round with an S and MFL allowing him to be moved to the IR. The owner exposing this was our same owner who lobbied several seasons ago to reduce the max rosters to 18 from a previous 20 to keep talent on the WW and prevent player hoarding, and IR movescost $1 in and $1 out.

I'm on the fence because it feels sneaky and our west coast owners are still hung over from last nights draft and didn't catch this transaction late yesterday. The benches are so small already that teams need to watch bye weeks carefully when drafting or end up fielding incomplete teams during major bye weeks if they don't want to drop starters.

It's not an MFL issue, it's a league rule issue,

Some leagues only allow players actually placed on IR to be put on IR, some are more lenient and allow players all the way down to questionable or even just listed on the injury report to be put there.

Some make it a permanent move, regardless if the player is on IR or is able to return. Some allow players to move back and forth,

It all comes down to league rules and preference.

My preference is only players placed on IR by their team are eligible for IR. My preference does not always tie to the league rules or the preference of the majority of the league.

• Like 1

we have a rule in place that keeps suspended players off your IR. He's not injured, so if you want him, he's counting towards your active roster.

Yep.... I drafted him last night as my 6th WR.... and he has to be kept on my active list all season if I want him as a keeper for next season.

This ^

Plus IR systems can be complicated and most seem easily abused. Depending on league configuration, may be easier to get rid of IR and expand the roster.

That is pretty much what we do there's been talk of wanting one or more IR slots, but our rosters are deep enought (9 start, 9 bench, no positional limits) to allow you to stash a player if you want.

I'm curious how you guys handle this in your leagues as MFL has a checkbox that allows a player to be deactivated to IR if he's suspended. It could be a loophole to stash someone like Josh Gordon or Aldon Smith (if you're playing IDP) and not count against your regular roster limit.

I've been in some leagues that say IR is only for medically injured players, so I'm wondering If this has come up in your leagues and argued by owners in keeper leagues.

It's up to the owners to vote this. By default that box isn't checked, so if it was checked, that's a fishy move by the commish,and unless it's explicitly discussed and voted in by your league process, it shouldn't be allowed.

There is no "right" or "wrong" answer here, it's up to what your league wants to do. If enough want it, vote it in. My personal opinion is that there should be a separate roster exemption and their current salary/contract frozen, just like the NFL does. MFL probably doesn't have anything appropriate (unless you aren't using Taxi Squad, then use that) so IR is probably the only real way to do this.

Our league has one IR spot for players who are out for the year. I sent this verbiage out to our league as a reminder of the IR rules is place for our keeper league. Overkill on detail, but no room for misinterpretation.

"Just to clarify as there may be questions due to recent events... The whole premise for creating an IR was so that owners could protect a keeper quality player that goes down for rest of the season, and owners would still be able to field a 16-man roster. It is not to be used for players on suspension, not for short-term injuries, and not for players starting out the year on the PUP list. Last year's season-ending injury to Julio Jones made him eligible for IR. However, Shane Vereen had to be carried on an active roster when he went down in Week 2 but was eligible to return later in the season. Likewise, this year, Josh Gordon and Ray Rice are not eligible for IR due to a league suspension. Neither is Marcus Lattimore, since he is on the PUP list and is eligible to return in 6 weeks."

Feel free to borrow if it helps.

All my leagues require a player to be on the official NFL IR in order to be put on the fantasy IR. It's black and white and very easy to administer.

this , plus we have a taxi squad that can be used for players on a bye or suspended or rookies , 2 players max.

If a player is on the taxi squad for more than two consecutive weeks he must remain there until the end of the season.

This is for my dynasty leagues